Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
We're heading back down to chase hogs in the swamp later this week. For my caloric contribution, I'm going with a twist on the spicy black beans that I brought to the 24HCF hog hunt last March. It'll be more or less the same, but I'm paying homage to the last hunt by including some chorizo links made by another in our party. I'll be serving it over brown rice, too. (Fiber is a good thing for hunting camp. wink )

[Linked Image]

First, I browned slices of the chorizo in olive oil.

[Linked Image]

Then the onions went in.

[Linked Image]

And they did a good job of loosening the crusty goodness left by the chorizo.

[Linked Image]

Next up was the garlic, for a time brief enough to let it sweat, but not scorch.

[Linked Image]

I deglazed with a touch of vegetable stock. One could use chicken stock, but I've had better luck with the veggie stock on my most recent batches.

[Linked Image]

At this point, I just add stuff quickly in layers, starting with the browned sausage

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_6481_zpscebb8407.jpg[/img]

Then some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. (I get a big can of it, use a little bit, then freeze the rest in a ziploc bag. It's easy to chip-out some frozen pieces when you need them, & have them be nice & tasty).

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_6482_zps2ff883bc.jpg[/img]

Then green onions

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_6483_zpsd5e5b2dc.jpg[/img]

And the black beans on top. (I'm lazy, & used drained & rinsed canned beans. One could soak dry beans overnight, or boil them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference for this dish)

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/jkubesch/IMG_6484_zps89aba2ab.jpg[/img]

(to be continued)

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I then add more stock, to barely cover the beans. I want there to be a thick bean gravy, rather than just a soupy mix.

[Linked Image]

I added a lid slightly askew, took it to barely a boil, then backed it off to low heat, & simmered for an hour.

Now it was time to scoop out about a cup's worth of beans and juice, and the chipotle peppers.

[Linked Image]

They go for a quick spin in the blender to mince the peppers, and to mash the beans so they'll thicken the batch when dumped back in the pot.

[Linked Image]

The last addition is a Tbsp or 2 of honey. Ideally, I'd have used some from the back yard hive of another guy in our group. Pressed for time, though, I had to grab the squeeze bear from the pantry.

[Linked Image]

Now, it cools for a while, before being dumped into tupperware & popped into the freezer until we leave. It can thaw in the cooler during the 11 #%^@! hour ride to the swamp, then get happy in the crock pot while we hunt.

Stay tuned for pics from the meal, and maybe some biased reviews. grin

FC

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
that sounds AWESOME!!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
man that sounds great,not sure about the fiber part though at camp eek

Last edited by rong; 09/28/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sounds good!...tell me how it is
fresh vs frozen ... when I freeze my beans "they/pop/break down...hell I'm afraid to stir-em

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That looks good! Nice job on the prep pics!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We'll now that sounds amazing!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
sounds good!...tell me how it is
fresh vs frozen ... when I freeze my beans "they/pop/break down...hell I'm afraid to stir-em

That's a great subject. How do those canned bean makers keep their beans from popping and skins flaking off??

My dried beans shrivel from the start and always pop. And they are as fresh as the store has. I do over-night soak and boil gently with no stirring. mad

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The beans were extraordinarily well received. Dragging in late from hunting/skinning, however, we dispensed with picture-taking. The non-bean-eaters waxed enthusiastic about flavor & heartiness, though they did make passing mention of gastrointestinal anomalies the next day. wink

I didn't notice any objectionable splitting of the beans, but I wasn't looking too closely. Also, that's somewhat the point of this dish, in that I aim for it to thicken to nearly a runny gravy consistency.

Give it a whirl, and post your improvements.

FC

- Mrs. FC
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That looks delicious!

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man!

Beans, onions, peppers, mo' beans, mo' peppers...

As a public service, I will link this to T_LEE's thread on, errr, being environmentally friendly.

It is only a 2 min video -- take a look. It is relevant to this thread... wink

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.