Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't like it when the hunter has the guide shoot the bear. Unless it is charging one hunter should be able to handle the situation.
jmho
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't like brussel sprouts.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well when a dude hunter with his shiny new 338 shows up and shoots a big bear thru the guts odds are it's going to run off into cover. The guide then has to crawl into said cover, alone if he's smart don't want the dude shooting him or getting chewed on, and put a finisher into the hopefully dead but more likely agitated and not very dead bear. Putting an insurance shot in if the bear looks to be marginally hit or badly hit is SOP to keep the bear from causing any problems or getting away to die a lingering death and not be recovered.

Why do you think 458win recommends his hunters bring their deer rifle if it's a 270 or larger? Because they can shoot it. Too many guys go on once in a lifetime type hunts without being able to shoot for beans. And when anybody mentions that the critter in question has teeth and claws the first thing dude hunters do is go buy a big ass rifle they probably can't shoot. I helped at a bear hunting operation for 2 seasons and saw about 75% of the clientele show up overgunned and underpracticed. Every year someone had to go into the brush to dig out a wounded bear or two, having done it once I can say it isn't fun. And there is always an excuse that doesn't involve the guilty not being able to shoot the friggen cannon they're lugging around.

The situation calls for judgement, if it's a solid hit then no need to shoot, if it's looking marginal or around the fringes I'm putting lead in the air.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
I don't like it when the hunter has the guide shoot the bear. Unless it is charging one hunter should be able to handle the situation.
jmho
whelennut

huh crazy

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't like brussel sprouts.....

eek laugh
Me neither.... They suck balls.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
Well when a dude hunter with his shiny new 338 shows up and shoots a big bear thru the guts odds are it's going to run off into cover. The guide then has to crawl into said cover, alone if he's smart don't want the dude shooting him or getting chewed on, and put a finisher into the hopefully dead but more likely agitated and not very dead bear. Putting an insurance shot in if the bear looks to be marginally hit or badly hit is SOP to keep the bear from causing any problems or getting away to die a lingering death and not be recovered.

Why do you think 458win recommends his hunters bring their deer rifle if it's a 270 or larger? Because they can shoot it. Too many guys go on once in a lifetime type hunts without being able to shoot for beans. And when anybody mentions that the critter in question has teeth and claws the first thing dude hunters do is go buy a big ass rifle they probably can't shoot. I helped at a bear hunting operation for 2 seasons and saw about 75% of the clientele show up overgunned and underpracticed. Every year someone had to go into the brush to dig out a wounded bear or two, having done it once I can say it isn't fun. And there is always an excuse that doesn't involve the guilty not being able to shoot the friggen cannon they're lugging around.

The situation calls for judgement, if it's a solid hit then no need to shoot, if it's looking marginal or around the fringes I'm putting lead in the air.

I hear this a lot on this forum, and there may be something to it with some hunters. That being said, there are a lot of guys I know who can outshoot me with big bore rifle down here. And I have hunted down here successfully with 300WM+ with no issue. I have hunted in Alaska twice in the last four years and fired four shots in anger.

One shot at this guy (.375 Wby 300gr NP):

[Linked Image]

And three shots (all consecutive hits in about 3 seconds with my .340 Wby with 225gr TTSX loads) at this guy:

[Linked Image]

Guide didn�t raise his rifle in either instance.

I likely could not have done so without a lot of practice and preparation. Not everyone who goes on a guided hunt is a completely-unprepared moron who can�t even spend a few dozen hours learning to shoot a medium bore rifle, which isn�t hard if you work a little bit at it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I have hunted in Alaska twice in the last four years and fired four shots in anger.

What were you angry about?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hah. Them animals tying to get away. Aren't thy supposed to stand still and take it like a man?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never said all hunters on guided hunts, doesn't take them all being bad shots, doesn't take all the bears chewing you up either. But as a rule, at least what I've seen firsthand, more bear hunters come to camp overgunned and underpracticed than say guys I've seen in a lodge that offers duck hunts. When someone says "dangerous game" lots of guys loose their minds.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Seen a lot of people in my time who had more money than hard earned and learned skill. They are the ones who have the money to go bear hunting. Pretty damn sure they think their money will buy the skills they should have learned before they went bear hunting. Just the way it is and has been. Magnum Man

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.