Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Excellent work great to hear the ole workhorse is still bringing home meat!

BP-B6

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
6.5x55..not really old school tho..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
More like Art School!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How does it shoot?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love sporterized mausers; the pimped-out classics as well as the more "working class" rifles.

My son's is a Turk with 21" slim-contour barrel chambered to .257 Roberts, lightweight "in the bow" PH bottom unit, military trigger modified to single-stage, lovely Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in walnut, and Burris FFII 2-7x 35mm w/ BP in Weaver rings:

[Linked Image]

My hope is he bloodies it soon but its a very enjoyable rifle to carry & to shoot.

Other such rifles I have in my arsenal include a Steyr 98 in 6.5x55, and one of my personal all-time favorites a Czech 98 in 257 AI. That last one has gotten around and been tweaked a fair bit over the years...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As it sits now and will remain until the throat is toasted: Parkerized, PH side-safety trigger, Rem 798 take-off laminate monte carlo stock, Leupold M8 6x 42mm w/ Euro #4.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by rosco1

[Linked Image]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How does it shoot?

Fair, a good friend did most of the work on it,I had it at the range this fall while he was there and he asked to see what the old '96 could do. I rang the 1000 yard with it with it 4 times in a row, then dropped the 5th shot low right somehow. 140 amax, the old turd will hold its own.

I have a few more '96 and '98's in the larder, someday i'll get around to them..Looks like brownells has stopped making that remington-esc bolt shroud i have on that one. Wish i had bought a few for future builds now as its my favorite for the Mauser. Also that one has a Bold trigger on it, and it tunes up really nice along with whatever he did with the pin/spring to get the lock time down(he replaced it, but cant remember what with now)

That is the original military step barrel on it, he brazed a piece of conduit on it and it looks like a heavy barrel, but its just a Carl Gustav swede out of the bargain barrel with a few mods.

Here is a pic of what i'm talking about. the piece you see seperate from the rifle screws onto the threaded barrel, its also ported inside the tube which you cant see,kind of like an integral suppressor ..This was an experiment, and thats it. I honestly didnt think it would shoot at all after dinking with the barrel like that, but it shoots surprisingly decent..Is what it is,just a guy with a few tools doing an experiment on a more/less throw away rifle.
[Linked Image]

Same guy has a '93 in a 257 Roberts of mine that he's carving a piece of exhibition grade wood for. I bought that particular rifle years ago, and its a shooter.barrel is stamped "A.D Forkey, Texas". Dont know anything about Mr.Forkey, but he built a nice rifle, complete with hand engraving of big horn sheep,I picked it up "right"at an obscure mom and pop joint a long time ago..a few years later i busted the stock clean in half on it while hunting mule deer..hence the new handle getting installed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is one I did 15 years ago or so. All numbers matched.
New barrel, trigger, bolt handle, stock. Now it is a 30-06.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Here is a rather crudely done Swede with an 1899 date of manufacture. They did a fair job on the bolt handle, however the stock mods look like they were done with a hatchet. It sat on the used rack for a long time before I decided it was just too ugly to sit there any longer. I'll be damned if it doesn't shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with a handful of different loads and is by far the least expensive firearm I've ever bought... grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Just curious. What is "rythme" ?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
Not old, but an old school 7x57.

[Linked Image]

That is my dream build!

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.