Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by ranger1
Whatever you decide to get, do yourself a favor and pick up a Kifaru Gun Bearer. Once I figured out exactly how I wanted it adjusted, it became one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Wow. This looks real nice.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Badlands Superday it is. Found one at a decent price on ebay.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Kifaru gunbearer ordered. Thanks folks.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Check out Kifaru, you can go large or small and the gun bearer works well. Less is more.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
daily needs
hunting needs
navigational needs
game care needs
emergency overnight needs.

you decide.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
ive got the Eberlestock x2 works great for me. hauled out deer, antelope, elk back straps shoulders boned out used bigger pack for hind quarters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Day pack size is meaningful to me.

It's not what you can carry during the hunt that matters. It's if you can pack out an animal without making two trips.

Badlands 2800 with a Kifaru Gunbearer.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's what horses are for....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bison Gear Lost River has been on my back over 10 years

5 states and even Africa

Made by hand one at a time in the USA and waranted forever!

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Carried an old Cabelas fleece w/ leather bottom daypack on a lot of hunts. Bought it for $5 at a garage sale with a blown zipper and had my mother inlaw sew a new one way zipper in it. It's basically a schoolbook bag but built pretty sturdy. I've carried many backstraps, or backstrap singular in the case of moose, out for the first load to get my freighter for the rest of the animal. It will also fit a skint grizzly skull btw.

Last year I found a brand spanking new, tags still attached, unused Badlands Source at our local thrift store for $30. I snatched it right up and threw the water bladder away as soon as I got it home. It has a great suspension system and is very comfortable to carry, even loaded. The problem is that it has so many pockets and compartments compared to my old pack that I can't really carry anything. If it's bigger than a snickers bar there's no place to put it. I had to rethink a lot of my gear and make some changes but I'm still not fully sold. Kinda miss the old, "one giant compartment" of my Cabelas pack.

Another thing I do is, if say I'm going to hike a couple miles to a ridgetop to glass for caribou. I will put the shoulder straps of my daypack over the frame horns of my freighter. That way I have the ability to haul a full load of meat without a light load/ wasted trip. I don't like to haul meat inside the bags that come on frame packs, one more thing I have to clean up when I get home. I just take a 100' roll of nylon clothesline to lash quarters on the pack.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Firstcoues,did you use the sling saver? How does it work?

Looks simple enough,i hunt a few spots where I cross shoulder my sling when hiking in(steep in spots) and I hunt with a fanny pack. But I want a pack w/ more room so I'm looking @ a backpack but need something to hold the rifle secure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a crew cab by mystery ranch. But if just scouting, I use the day pack lid

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/nice-daypack-lid

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer

Two years of using it and no real complaints. Will haul some meat if you need it to. I believe it's rated for 80lbs or so.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My Badlands Superday arrived. Nice pack.

Some day I will get a bigger one designed to also carry game back out. Needed a smaller one this time around and to keep calls etc. all in one place and have ready for a trip to the blind on my property. Just to grab and go in the am when I feel like hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid

Another thing I do is, if say I'm going to hike a couple miles to a ridgetop to glass for caribou. I will put the shoulder straps of my daypack over the frame horns of my freighter. That way I have the ability to haul a full load of meat without a light load/ wasted trip. I don't like to haul meat inside the bags that come on frame packs, one more thing I have to clean up when I get home. I just take a 100' roll of nylon clothesline to lash quarters on the pack.

+1....use a Cabelas fanny pack for everything, and put it on my pack frame if traveling far from the rig....

Regards,

Tom
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I started w/a Badlands 2200 and I do still like it as a day pack. Next I bought an Eberlestock Dragonfly J107, it handles a heavy load out better and has what I think is a wonderful rifle scabbard but it's nearly 10# dry. Very recently I nabbed a Stone Glacier Approach W/weapon sling. My initial thoughts after having 40# strapped to it and walking ~5mi 3 times/wk for a month is that the bag size is going to be about right for day pack use, and the load shelf expansion allows one to carry a load very close to the body and very secure. @ ~3.5# dry I'm going to have a ~12-15# load including having the rifle strapped on in a pack that's capable of hauling out more meat than I am capable if carrying.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (10Glocks, 160user, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.