Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Years ago when I had my gun shop I used to buy tap and drill sets from Badger Shooters Supply, I think they were a Weaver product. I have a little project and have to drill and tap five holes, I don't know if they will be through holes or blind holes so will need both a plug and bottom tap and the appropriate drill. Looking around I see taps for $2.49 at Midway and $17.00 at Brownell's.

Any suggestions on where to get a reasonably priced decent quality taps. I will be putting a Weaver base on a sxs shotgun rib.

Thanks

erich

Last edited by erich; 09/30/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Brownells also has another brNd of taps for less$$. I use the cheaper brand brownells carries and they work fine for 90% of jobs. I believe the last time I ordered they were under $2 each.

Grizzly also carries a pretty big line of gunsmith tools these days, might check with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might also try MSC for machining tools.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Victor Machinery Exchange has them for about $7 a pop. They also have a lot of odd ball taps and if you can't find one, they'll custom grind it for you.

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/productlist.html?subdepartments=Special+Thread+Taps:618%2C1170%2C1171

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brownells sells the taps for $2.49. Part number is 395-648-001 for the taper tap. The plug and bottom taps are the same price, and you can look up the numbers for those.

You won't find a better price for a decent tap. The taps are made by Hanson.

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
IC B2

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the help guys,

gzig5, you don't see that for a hometown very often, I hope they are going to have a 50yr class reunion at Homestead next year, if so I'll be in town for a few days.

Make mine a Minaska

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't know why they wouldn't. They seem to stay on top of that sort of thing. You probably won't recognize the place. They are looking to do a 4.5 million dollar upgrade to the outdoor sports facilities. Need to get you old guys back to donate. ;-)

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While the Brownell's (Hanson made) tap is a quality made tap that in most cases will be perfectly adequate to get the job done. The "Premium" tap that Brownell's offers is made by an 80 yr. old American company Reiff & Nestor. What sets R&N taps apart from others is that the tooth to tooth spacing is controlled more tightly than other tap manufacturers in the industry. That makes a huge difference when tapping hardened steel encountered in firearms. Yes, the R&N tap is priced at $7.00-$8.00 but I have never broken an R&N tap. As for a Hanson tap I cannot make the same claim, I find the added cost of the R&N tap well worth not having to deal with removing a broken tap. The R&N is the "go to" tap when tapping the tough jobs like Savage 99, Krag and other known tough jobs. The less expensive Hanson makes sense when tapping other jobs, I always use a new tap when tapping a customer gun I build the cost into my price for a drill & tap job. Experience has proved this to be a cost effective way to avoid having to deal with a broken tap. Keep the used taps for thread clean-up jobs, running threads a couple of threads deeper and other less critical jobs.

Last edited by gunswizard; 10/01/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A follow-up suggestion to the above post is to use a "screw machine length" drill to drill holes for tapping. Screw machine or "stub length" drills are shorter and therefor stiffer and lass prone to wander than standard length drills. Also, if possible start the hole with a center drill especially when drilling into a curved surface like a barrel or receiver. Drill deep enough so that the angled portion makes a chamfer at the top of the hole. You will gain three benefits from doing this, #1- the drill will start true in the countersink produced by the center drill, #2-The tap will start more easily in the countersunk hole, and #3-The small amount of countersink left after tapping will leave a burr free hole will allow the screw to start easily and will give your work a professional appearance. The depth of the center drill is by trial and error, check the diameter with your caliper set to .010" bigger than the tap O.D., this done set the depth stop on your mill or drill press so all holes are center drilled uniformly. When tapping, never run a tap into the hole dry, ALWAYS use tapping fluid. After tapping degrease the holes & screws with acetone prior to applying Loc-tite.

Last edited by gunswizard; 10/01/14.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by erich
I will be putting a Weaver base on a sxs shotgun rib.

Thanks

erich

No experience with the procedure proposed and curious. Are the D&T holes made in the rib of the monobloc (if the SxS is so constructed)? Or is the soldered on rib robust enough to hang a scope on it?

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I would suggest NOT mounting a scope on a soldered on rib as in nearly all cases they are soldered with soft lead solder definately not intended to withstand having a scope mounted on them. If you can mount on the monobloc and eyerelief not be an issue that would be a better way to go. Having not seen your shotgun/scopemount/scope I cannot give further suggestion.

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The gun n question is a German drilling and already has a set of claw mounts on the rib so strength is not an issue. I want to mount a scope lower than can be done with the claw mounts. The drilling already has a Hensoldt 4x fitted to it and I want to add a 1x4 variable to it with out disturbing the original claw mounts. I'm either going to use a Weaver base and Weaver low rings(about 1/10" lower than Tally one piece lows) or make a set of very low rings like a Talley one piece and mount them on the rib just ahead of the claw mounts. I'm not worried about quick removal of the scope as it will be a dedicated predator gun shooting slugs(I have an ample supply of Brenneke 2 1/2") or NP "F" and "BB" shot.

I've already have done the same to another drilling by making a new set of low claw rings but this one claw bases are higher than the other.

The first drilling with low mounted scope, the 6x48 Nichol and the 1.5x Weaver are inter-changeable.

[Linked Image]

With the original scope in place. Just too high for close in fast action work.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 10/01/14.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gunswizard, find anything better than Do-Drill for a tapping fluid? Has worked well for me so far but the can is finally getting low.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use Rapid Tap. It is more cost effective than Do-Drill.

Bill Jscobs

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Before the EPA banned them, tapping fluids contained Trichlorethylene whose high evaporative rate cooled the tapping action therefor making it easier to tap. They switched to Trichlorethane which was not as good and finally removed the Trichlor entirely. About this time the water soluble crap came in, tried several of these, most were better than nothing. I am now retired, I use some of the old Trichlor containing stuff from a stash of cans obtained at machine tool shows when they gave away cans of the stuff as samples. I've used Do Drill in the past but it really stinks, Rapid Tap is OK too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It does have a great odor to it, reminds me of humid nights in Texas downwind from a drilling rig. High school days, a good memory or two. wink

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.