Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been using Winchester for years in both handgun and rifle. Just started using Federals in my rifles, but that's another story for another time. Which large pistol primers do you guys favor in both standard and magnum? And is there a reason?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Federals.

Because they don't need much in the way to go boom everytime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly CCI's, but a buddy got me a deal on several several cases of Federals so I've been popping them lately until I need to replenish.

I seem to get the best accuracy with H-110 when lit off with CCI 350's, other than that I haven't seem much difference between CCI 300's and Fed large pistol.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been using CCI's but now I am wandering over to Winchester as a local supplier had them for $22 a thousand.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I only use CCI.
Been using them since the 70's, never an issue

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have heard that CCI primers have a harder cup than Winchester or Federal. Is this true or not in your opinion?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like silly DA pulls on my Smiths....so I use Federals.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hawk, you just nailed the reason for my question two posts up. I am a little concerned about light primer strikes in double action mode if using a hard cup primer.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did have some hang fires in my 480 when I put a lighter spring in using cci 350 primers and H-110. Not a good feeling to not know when a full patch load feels like going off.

Hence I put the factory spring back in and ~5000 rounds later no problems.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mostly CCI over the years but Winchester when they were out of the CCI,good results with both.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What type/brand/model of DA?

Federals are forgiving when it comes to weak DA strikes, primers not seated fully and I've never had any poor hits on a Fed. pistol primer, large or small.....they ALWAYS dimple and crush the pellet.

That's why there is no LEE Auto Prime of old.

I don't advocate springs and DA pulls that won't fire any and every primer, but Federals have never exhibited one instance of "weak" strike.

I've had "untuned" factory springed guns have instances (though few) of looking like/having light strikes, but its almost like they were cups that were too hard. They wouldn't even fire or dimple more in SA.

We're talking a handful out of 500-1000 rounds, but there they were.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It shouldn't matter. A gun should work with any/all primers. Anything else is bull schit (did I spell it right Travis?)

Paul

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A priming tool should work without warning for any and all primers; 'cept they don't.....wonder why.

I agree though, the gun needs to go boom with any and all. Problem is the all has always been Federals.

The other weird thing about Federal caps is that they come in those giant plastic squares; there's reasons for that too.

Federal primers are the "Ohio Blue Tip" of primers.

Last edited by HawkI; 10/01/14.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hawk, shooting 629, and Redhawks in both 44 mag and 45 Colt. I know the problem that Redhawks supposedly have with light primer strikes for various reasons (although I have never in 30 years had a failure to fire). As I said, I have always used Winchester, and have been leaning toward CCI, but I don't want a cup that is too hard for quick double action firing in a sticky situation.

Which primers, by the way, is it that Lee recommend that we don't use in their priming tool? I've had them for years and used them with Winchester primers.....

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LEE altered their Auto Prime due to supposed issues with chain ignitions with Federal primers. My last ones had warning cards in them NOT to use Federal primers. The new tool sucks, but its now hunky dory with Fed caps.

Generally a stock spring ignites them all; have had issues with one Colt DA and small pistol primers (never FTF with Federals) with stock springs in DA and several Smiths in DA with aftermarket spring kits. Again, they always fired with Federals but needed adjusted to fire others in DA every time.

If your using stock springs you should be fine, but most rarely fire in DA enough to even know if there really is an issue. If you have ANY issues in SA you definitely want a gunsmith to check it out!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use them all except Remington's with zero issues. Just make sure the heat is right for the powder.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the information. Smith is stock, but I'm using Wolfe's heaviest in the Redhawks. I've not had any FTF's in either in SA, but I've only fired probably 50 rounds or so DA with no problems. I may go back to the factory springs in my Redhawks or not worry about trying other primers. Thanks guys for all opinions.

Doug
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Better to be safe and 100 percent.

I thought Wolff was where I dreamt up my reasoning, but I found it:

http://www.speedshooterspecialties....amp;cPath=103_96_235&products_id=685

" Miculek Revolver Spring Kit

$17.25

Fast trigger action & reduced pull weight for competition & speed shooting.
Balanced compression and rebound rates allow hammer spring and trigger return spring to work in unison. Together, they give a seven pound, double action trigger pull with a fast trigger return. Recontoured hammer spring helps smooth trigger pull, prevents stacking. Spring steel. Fits K, L and N frame revolvers. For best results, ammo should use Federal primers."

[video:youtube]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D6D73EFCAAFB24C74EC1D6D73EFCAAFB24C74EC1[/video]

5:50 is an explanation of strain screw/weight limits.

Last edited by HawkI; 10/01/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by lastround
Hawk, you just nailed the reason for my question two posts up. I am a little concerned about light primer strikes in double action mode if using a hard cup primer.

a couple years back, there was a thread about Federal using large packaging for their primers.

in the thread, someone mentioned a lawsuit in years past. i made a short, general reply about Federal primers, and below i have pasted some of that reply into this thread. Federal primers are excellent, and in my opinion, are the best alternative for self defense handguns--especially the smaller rigs...and they are also great for revolvers, especially if firing DA, and especially so if the strain screw is backed off...

for striker fired handguns, i prefer the federal primers, as in my opinion, they have a softer cup--which can better assure ignition in rigs often relied upon for self defense.

this can also be an extra nice "plus" in striker fired compact handguns that typically have shorter/weaker springs, and also in hammer fired compact guns, for the hammers will usually have somewhat lower mass, so it can help to have a softer cup in these rigs.

though i've read this (and have no way of knowing if it is a fact--perhaps a campfire member out there may know)), federal uses "basic" lead styphnate for their compound, while other manufacturers use "normal" lead styphnate compound. according to what i had read, the claim is that "basic" styphnate is more sensitive than "normal" styphnate, as the compound has a finer grain.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by lastround
I have heard that CCI primers have a harder cup that Winchester or Federal. Is this true or not in your opinion?

It is a fact that a CCI primer has a thicker cup. I switched from CCI primers to Federal many years ago in both rifle and handgun and haven't looked back.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.