-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have a good recipe for beef short ribs? Dad gave us a side of beef and these are next in line in the freezer. Doesn't matter to me how they're cooked. Just help me out with some tasty options if you don't mind. I know some of you have some fine cooking skills!!

Thanks in advance!!

Phil

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
3# short ribs, 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, 3 cloves fresh garlic minced, 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves in slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour and toss to coat. Mix 1 can Campbell's Condensed French Onion Soup and 1 bottle dark beer. Pour over beef and other ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (high 4-5). Remove beef from sauce and serve over buttered noodles.

(Shamelessly stolen from the Campbell's cookbook. I really like it. Unfortunately, beef short ribs are almost like hens' teeth around here.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Braised Oxtails. Also good with short ribs or beef shanks.
2 tspn dried thyme
2 tspn died sage
2 tblsp kosher salt
1 tblsp fresh cracked black pepper
Use these to rub/sprinkle on meat before browning

5-6 lbs oxtail
olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup sliced leeks ( white part only )
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tblsp chopped garlic ( or more )
1/2 oz dried porcini or other mushroom, rehydrated in boiling water, drained and chopped.
2 cups red wine (dry)
2 cups beef or chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2 tblsp course ground mustard
Salt and pepper

Heat a large Dutch oven or enameled casserole dish over med/high heat. Rub meat with herbs and brown in olive oil in batches, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove meat and add onions, leeks, carrots, and garlic. Reduce to med and cover, cook for 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft. Stir in the mushrooms, wine, and stock, and bay leaves, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan. Return meat. Reduce heat and simmer or place in 300 oven, cook for about three hours until meat just falls from bone. Remove meat with a slotted spoon, skim any fat from surface, and reduce liquid to a syrupy consistency. Stir in mustard and return meat. Serve over noodles, mashed potatoes, polenta, mashed turnups, risotto,.......what ever you like.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have used my oxtail recipe for short ribs. As shown already, this works pretty well.

Ox Tails

Three pounds oxtail segments
Flour, salt pepper, all mixed together
Vegetable oil
Two large onions, sliced thin
4 carrots, sliced thin
One large tomato, diced
4 or 5 (or 6 or 7) garlic cloves.
Two large red potatoes
Bay leaves
Oregano, thyme, ginger, salt, black pepper
4 cups beef broth, One cup red wine, An Argentine Malbec is suggested
Two tablespoons tomato paste
Two tsp beurre manie

Flour the Ox Tail joints,
using a skillet, brown the Oxtails in the vegetable oil
Remove, and place in a Dutch oven.
In the remaining oil, brown the onion and garlic. Place in the Dutch oven with the meat and carrots. Add the beef broth, and red wine. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Season, and cook, covered, for two hours. Still occasionally.
Remove the lid, and add the potatoes, cook another 45 min.
Remove meat and potatoes from the Dutch oven. Keep warm. Pour the remaining liquid through a strainer, and return to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, and reduce. Add the beurre manie, a little bit at a time until all incorporated. Return the meat to the Dutch oven, and cook for 15 min. Check seasoning a final time.
Serve with some of the gravy over the meat, and over the vegetables

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds good!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Braised Oxtails. Also good with short ribs or beef shanks.
2 tspn dried thyme
2 tspn died sage
2 tblsp kosher salt
1 tblsp fresh cracked black pepper
Use these to rub/sprinkle on meat before browning

5-6 lbs oxtail
olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup sliced leeks ( white part only )
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tblsp chopped garlic ( or more )
1/2 oz dried porcini or other mushroom, rehydrated in boiling water, drained and chopped.
2 cups red wine (dry)
2 cups beef or chicken stock
3 bay leaves
2 tblsp course ground mustard
Salt and pepper

Heat a large Dutch oven or enameled casserole dish over med/high heat. Rub meat with herbs and brown in olive oil in batches, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove meat and add onions, leeks, carrots, and garlic. Reduce to med and cover, cook for 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft. Stir in the mushrooms, wine, and stock, and bay leaves, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan. Return meat. Reduce heat and simmer or place in 300 oven, cook for about three hours until meat just falls from bone. Remove meat with a slotted spoon, skim any fat from surface, and reduce liquid to a syrupy consistency. Stir in mustard and return meat. Serve over noodles, mashed potatoes, polenta, mashed turnups, risotto,.......what ever you like.

Thanks Keith, saved me alot of typing!

Sean
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by philgood80
Anyone have a good recipe for beef short ribs? Dad gave us a side of beef and these are next in line in the freezer. Doesn't matter to me how they're cooked. Just help me out with some tasty options if you don't mind. I know some of you have some fine cooking skills!!

Thanks in advance!!

Phil
I like the one that's in The Joy Of Cooking under Braised Short Ribs (Basic Recipe). Been making it for decades, and love it. I make it several times a year. As for herb options, I go with rosemary and thyme, and go light on them. You don't want to overwhelm the meat flavor. Also, it says braise for 2 hours. I've found that three hours is better.

Any library should have it, but you should buy a copy yourself if you don't have one already. Great book.

Here's a picture of a recent batch I made.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
find an asian food market and get a jar of bulgogi (korean bbq sauce). marinate it in that with some added ground ginger overnight and grill em long and slow over indirect heat till they pull back from the bone a bit, serve it over fried rice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 65 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.