Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any of you more experienced folks actually seen dangerous game taken with the 375 Ruger? How does it stack up against the 375H&H? What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Gary,
One of my PH's have a .375 Ruger. It has slightly more juice than the H&H, but you'll be splitting hairs. Basically the same scenario as the .300Win vs the .300WSM with regards to components availability etc.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 10/03/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is a bit more than the H&H so what more is there to learn?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I shot a Cape Buffalo bull last August with a R375 and Barnes 300 TSX's. Worked great. One shot. DRT

IC B2

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You'd think with what I have been reading that the R375 and R416 would eventually replace the longer, more expensive rounds from back in the day. Would the R416 lend itself to double rifles? Too much pressure? Just asking...thanks.

Gary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary,
If you are considering a .416, go with the Rigby. The Rigby operates at low pressures. My .416Rigby produces less felt recoil than my .375H&H. Its a much slower push. Whenever I take that rifle out of the safe, I get those butterflies in my stomach that only a teen gets going on their first date with a new girl.

Is there any reason why the Rugers' interest you?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Gary,
If you are considering a .416, go with the Rigby. The Rigby operates at low pressures. My .416Rigby produces less felt recoil than my .375H&H. Its a much slower push. Whenever I take that rifle out of the safe, I get those butterflies in my stomach that only a teen gets going on their first date with a new girl.

Well, the Rugers are a more modern design, less expensive everything especially ammo. How much did you pay for those butterflies? That sort of thing in general...

Gary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gary O
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Gary,

Well, the Rugers are a more modern design, less expensive everything especially ammo. How much did you pay for those butterflies? That sort of thing in general...

Well, my .416Rigby is in a CZ 550. They are in my opinion one of the best value for money rifle brands out there.
If ever there was a "working" rifle made, the CZ's are just that. I had to have the action polished a bit to ensure that feeding under pressure would be smooth. When you cycled the bolt, it would stick for a split second right at the back. Hardly need your concentration broken by something small like that when the heats' in the kitchen.My rifle is not the only rifle that I have heard where this had to be done. As a matter of fact, this was the general consensus that I picked up when I did research, just before buying the rifle.
Rifles in South Africa are generally more expensive than in the USA. Mine was about $1500 out the box.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You'd think with what I have been reading that the R375 and R416 would eventually replace the longer, more expensive rounds from back in the day. Would the R416 lend itself to double rifles? Too much pressure? Just asking...thanks.

it's a rimless round which is in an of iteself asking for trouble on a double. Krieghoff has their own proprietary 500/416 which works pretty darned well. A double in 416 would be a very rare and weird double.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI

it's a rimless round which is in an of iteself asking for trouble on a double. Krieghoff has their own proprietary 500/416 which works pretty darned well. A double in 416 would be a very rare and weird double.

It was my impression that many doubles can be had from the manufactures in 375 H&H. Why not the other rounds? Thanks...

Gary

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of the manufacturers, especially the ones with truly bespoke rifles, will make you anything you want, but I'm betting most will try and talk you out of a 416 Rem (or any other rimless for that matter) and this much I can tell you, a double in 416 Rem has WHITE ELEPHANT written all over it. Verny Carron has the strongest action on the market today and I am sure it will handle the pressure which is no more than a 375s. Years ago,a friend of mine had a Ferlach double built for him in 338 Winchester Mag. Beautiful rifle. Eventually he tried to sell it and had one hell of a time doing so.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I suspect that lots of folks will buy the used Rugers in R375 that are out there for under $1000 and resell it when they return from their DG hunt in Africa. Or, rent a rifle from the PH for that one hunt. The folks at Spiral Horn Safaris are very helpful in the loaner rifle area...

Gary

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I know of a .375 Ruger that has taken 3 bears and one bison. Its a boosted .375 H&H. It kills stuff just like the H&H, a little better, maybe, but shot placement is always the most important thing.

If someone put a .375 Ruger in my hands and told me to shoot the big 5, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 358WCF, 36 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.