-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went and traded myself into another CZ. I had a 452 varmint that didn't do what I was looking for and sold it & the new owner is happy with it. but couldn't help but wonder if it was me or not. So now I have a 452 Special Trainer. I put a VX-II 3-9x RF on it and need to get it to the range. I'm going to leave it scoped in search of its preferred ammo and then shoot it with open irons. We'll see how round two turns out. Nice looking rifle. Previous owner waxed the stock and re-sprung the trigger. It's creepy but light. I'm not putting a dime into this rifle until it proves itself a shooter or not.

But hope springs eternal. smile

edited to add that I used Leupold RF rings and was surprised how low I could mount the scope without bolt handle interference.

Last edited by avagadro; 10/03/14.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think you will like the irons. I have an Ultraluxe and the irons are accurate enough on the adjustment to hit soda cans at 25-100 yards.

I would do a Yo-Dave to shim the sear and get rid of the creep or you will never know how well it shoots. The last one I bought was only $20 and took 5 min to install. It removes all the creep.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good luck with it.

I had a 453 Varmint. With CCI Mini Mags it would do <1/2" at 50 yards pretty consistently from a shaky table rest. CCI Stingers would do even better with many,many groups sub 3/8". I tried at least 18 other types of ammo in it, none of them would consistently stay below 3/4" or there abouts

Dave..

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I need to try some stingers it seems. Mini mags shoot well in my 453 also.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 453 loves Eley Club, and SK Subsonic HP. HV ammo, not so much. It will still shoot 3/4 at 50 with HV but less than half that with the good target ammo.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
avagadro...what kind of groups were you getting with the 452 Varmint? I have a 453 Varmint and it groups almost everything well...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trying some full length barrel bedding & under the front of the action on a CZ 452 American 17HMR.
It can shoot .600 5 shot groups @ 100 when it wants to, but not when I want to. Hopefully this will make it more consistent. Anybody else here ever bed the whole barrel on a CZ rimfire?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I think you will like the irons. I have an Ultraluxe and the irons are accurate enough on the adjustment to hit soda cans at 25-100 yards.

RH ... If I find a good ammo 2" or less at 100, I plan on using open irons in our 100 yd RF fun matches at our local range. It's a 3P shoot. It is designed that a decent shooter with average equipment can do very well. I've shot a variety of rifles in this match, but no truly open irons ... peeps yes.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
avagadro...what kind of groups were you getting with the 452 Varmint? I have a 453 Varmint and it groups almost everything well...

Bob

RJM .... maybe one outta five groups would be right at 1/2", typcally closer to 1" @ 50 yards. That was with preferred ammo (Eley Target). It hated Wolf. But if I could have got 2" at 100 yards, I would have been happy as I bought it to shoot in the matches I listed above. 5" was the norm at 100 yards regardless of ammo choice. I tried torque on the screws. Installed a rifle basix trigger. I went all in, because I never read of anyone having accuracy issues. From what I have heard from its current owner he is pleased as punch ... maybe I was expecting too much, maybe my Ruger 77/22 spoiled me. We'll see. I'm not putting a dime into this one until I see some positive results.

Edited to add ... I wanted to give a 453 Varmint a whirl, but good luck finding one of those for sale at what I would pay for one. ... I don't want the set trigger (personally find them useless). Yeah they break light, but have a 1/2" of over travel which most likely detracts accuracy wise from the light trigger pull. I like the idea of two ACTION screws instead of one action and one on the barrel.

Last edited by avagadro; 10/06/14.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When I had my 453, I was able to shoot a little better from the "bench" using the set trigger but from field positions I did better by not using the set feature. In all fairness, I never really put any effort into trying to learn to use the set feature from field positions.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had the trainer out the other week-end with winds in the 7-10 mph range and gave her a while with CCI SV, Wolf MT and SK Rifle match.

All shooting was at 50 yards except for conditioning shots (they were at 300 yard gong.

First up was SV. I shot 15 conditioning shots and shot six 5-shot groups SV 1 - SV 6 (three groups working into the center bull and the top three orange dots) best was .40 and the worst was 1.02

Second was Wolf again 15 shots at the gong and four 5-shot groups Wolf 1 - Wolf 4 (bottom left bull and left side three dots) best was .36 and the worst was 1.08.

Third was SK .... 15 shots and four 5-shot groups SK 1 - SK 4 (bottom right bull and right three dots. Best was .43 and the worst was .77 This was overall the tightest.

Finally decided to give SV another whirl .... 15 more shots and four 5-shot groups SV A - SV D (top two bulls, bottom center and top center of the target) Best .37 and the worst was 1.77 Each group was getting tighter ( 1.77 > 1.10 > .64 > .37)

All-in-all, I don't know what to think ... there are some fine groups and some not so fine. CV average is .81" Wolf average is .65 and SK average is .59. The overall average for the morning was .73" and the better two ammo's averaged .62"

Nowhere near a 1/2" shooter but the trigger is a bit creepy (light but creepy). My rest did leave a bit to be desired, next trip out, I'll bring my Rock and we'll see.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Trainer pic 10-11-sm.jpg (92.78 KB, 1635 downloads)
Last edited by avagadro; 10/27/14.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can never have too many CZs as far as I'm concerned.

If you get a chance, try a BRNO once. Also very accurate.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...suggestion. You have any friends who are target shooters..reliable shooters who with their own rifles run well under .550. Have them give it a try. If you can find two or three guys who are "shooters" and all of them do no better than you then you will know it is the gun....or the scope...or a combo of gun-scope-ammo.

I own 5 CZs, owned three more and have shot several others and never had a one that wouldn't shoot and shoot very well.

My guns will do .3-.75 at 50. I shot one five shot group with a friends 452 Varmint that was one hole that you couldn't insert a round into without touching paper most of the way around...

You may also want to try a higher power target scope.

And after rereading you post where your rest wasn't the best...I think most of the groups pretty good... Getting .5 or less from a .22 is both shooter and rifle....everything has to be rock solid.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

I shoot a bit and my 77/22 will shoot 5 5-shot groups regularly. I have several rifles in which shooting sub-MOA is not a problem for me. I know I'm the weak link in most of my rifles, but not this weak. I think a bit was my rest wasn't the most stable. To me a rifle isn't a 1/2" rifle at 50 yards unless it can print 5 5-shot groups at less than 1/2". It did shoot half a dozen such groups on the target posted but not in a row. Actually with this rifle it really doesn't matter as it is growing on me in a way the Varmint did not .... I think it was just a case I expected too much from the varmint & had low expectations from this rifle.

I admit most of my shooting is in the form of 3-position matches and my bench technique isn't awesome. This one will be a keeper until something else takes my eye smile

Last edited by avagadro; 10/28/14.

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.