Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
how is this to be determined? the one I shoot the most? 9mm. The one I stock the most live ammo for? .22lr. the one I carry the most? 356 TSW. The one I'd want for shtf? 356 TsW, but have a spare barrel for 9x19. Shtf, handgun use better be really rare, cause everyone will have a fighting rifle (if they've survived more than a week or 2) A handgun vs a fighting rifle is a bad, bad place to be. Just ask the 7 Feds that Platt killed or wounded with his Mini-14, after he had been wounded and could only use one arm.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I asked the Fed's that Platt killed /wounded and they all, to a man, were carrying the 356 TiddieS n'Waffles.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I see you like Pachmayr grips. I like them, too, for shooting, but not for carrying. They tend to stick to clothing.

I hear that all the time, but I have never once personally experienced that. Hogue's are even more grabby than Pachmayr's and I haven't had a problem with Hogues. My J frame wears a Hogue "boot" style grip and is even pocket carried, never hangs up.

And as time goes on, hand oils smooth out and slick up the surface of the rubber grips, making it less and less of an issue.

Personally, I'll always take a nice custom wood grip over rubber, but I find rubber completely acceptable if I don't have the wood. In the field it's hard to beat the durability of rubber. That's why my S&W 617 still wears the original Hogue rubber grips, because I used to squirrel hunt so much with the 617. And the J frame...the rubber makes it much more pleasant to shoot (not that it's ever pleasant), and they're all but indestructable, so they fit my needs quite well.

But all my other handguns wear either wood, elephant ivory, or CTC Laser grips.

I have one old wool vest with some kind of fleece liner, that tends to drag on Hogue rubber grips. I noticed one day long ago that the grips were actually wearing a spot in the liner. My first reaction was to switch to wood grips - which worked. But since that time, I have also found that most other clothing I wear doesn't have that problem. Now, I use rubber grips where I like them, and don't have a problem. So - one could switch grips or change clothing. Or switch the carry method.

Favorite handgun cartridge? Are you nuts?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
dunno about rubber grips for revolvers, but I wore loose 2 different pachamayhrs rubber "front straps" for 1911s, in 6 months of draw practice. They got so sloppy that I had no choice but to cut off the front part and stipple the frames of my .22 and .45 gov't models.

so your source of gun info is the guys who MISSED Platt completely 60x or so, at 5 yds and less? :-) That sounds about right.

Last edited by squesh; 10/20/14.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I could narrow it down to 2. One for the revolver.

No shock to the regulars here, the .44 mag suits my needs perfectly, for rodents to big game.

The .45 ACP would be my top choice for semi auto needs.

That being said, I recognize the immense practicality of the 9mm for social and professional use.

But if forced to just two, the .44 mag and .45 ACP would work for me quite well.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I could narrow it down to 2. One for the revolver.

No shock to the regulars here, the .44 mag suits my needs perfectly, for rodents to big game.

The .45 ACP would be my top choice for semi auto needs.

That being said, I recognize the immense practicality of the 9mm for social and professional use.

But if forced to just two, the .44 mag and .45 ACP would work for me quite well.

I could do the same with .45acp and .357 (since I haven't owned a big bore centerfire revolver for years), but there's this little problem of the .22lr that I wouldn't want to give up. And I'm sure I would like a .44mag as much or more than my Ruger SS - but wouldn't care to give that up and see no need to. So, no.......I can't pick even two favorites.

I can pick a least favorite though. Of the handguns I've owned or borrowed, the cartridge I'd least likely spend my own money on is the .40s&w.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
44 magnum

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I lived where the game, dangerous or not, got over 1000 pounds it would be the 45 Colt in guns capable of handling Ruger-only loads.
http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-45-colt-140-years-of-success/

But for all other uses, I prefer the 45 auto and in guns that can handle the 45 Super, you are pretty well set for about anything.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.