Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did about a dozen day float on Oregon's Deschutes chasing the metalheads again. Fishing was slow, averaging about a fish a day I think due to cloudy waters. Lost about 5 mid-battle, and had a dozen or so hits that peeled a little line but did not hook up. Still a grand time as I ate a ton of fine food, saw a group of about 40 bighorn, had lots of time to reflect since I was solo for the duration (Cookie doesn't like that), and managed to beach one 30+ inch fish that was all over the river, up in the air, and 100+ yds deep into the backing for about a 20 minute fight. Those are ones that even this feeble mind will remember.

A shot of the boat at the second night's campsite (Homestead). Thinking back, there's a lot of memories connected with that craft, as it dates to about 1977 and gets about a month of use every year.
[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of one of the unlucky (well maybe lucky fish). About a 26 inch native hen that got to swim again.
[Linked Image]

and about a 28 inch sample that experienced the same fate.
[Linked Image]
Lots of peaceful moments interrupted by shear panic when a solid hit comes along.

Wish I had more fish pics, but have fears of going chest deep with a high end camera around ones neck. Those pictured were either close to camp or in some shallow water where I could fall and still keep the camera above water.

Fly patterns don't seem to make much difference with these fish, as they don't really feed. I think strikes are simply due to space invasion, spirit of the chase, or reflex response to an approaching or fleeing fly. Knowledge of where they habitually hold though can most certainly increase ones efficiency.

Three came to Skykomish Sunrises, two to Silver Hiltons, and the balance to whimsical patterns I thought might look nice as I was tying. Delivery is simply an across and down wet fly swing with a floating line. Another effective fly technique is dead drift nymphing with a floating strike indicator, but I've not adopted that yet. Hardware folks (spinners and plugs) do well too, and admittedly excel when water conditions near exclude us fly fishermen.

Here in the NW, one simply has to pack way too much into our Sept/Oct months. Wish I had time to go around again, but deer and elk are calling.

One can expand the images to Photobucket resolutions by hitting the "Reply" button and then backing out.

Tight lines,

Last edited by 1minute; 10/03/14.

1Minute
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very fine.. One day soon, I am going to seriously fish for steelheads.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's the flies. 1-3 Skykomish Sunrises full and low water dressed, 4 and 5 = Silver Hiltons, 6 = a Black and Gold original I am fond of, 7 = California quail flank feathers in the spirit of an Elver fly with just a silver tinsel body beneath, and the balance just things I tied on hooks. Some look a bit rough, but a few hours of Spey casting might just induce a little wear.

Amazed a fish will bit something with that much stinger protruding.

Have a good one,

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 10/04/14.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I notice a particular fly is missing from the collection...

I got a glance at your Deschutes last week, near La Pine, though I didn't fish it.
You didn't have to contend with sub-freezing temps this year.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photo journey, 1Minute. Thanks for sharing!

I've been doing well on the summer run steelies here on the upper Rogue, in the flies only section.

My bad shoulder won't let me swing a 7 weight for long, so I've been spinning with a tandem set up and a float.

[Linked Image]

A Brownbagger nymph and a Beadhead Gold Ribbed Hares Ear on the dropper. Takes have been about 50/50 per fly. About half of those landed have been nates and returned.

I fished two lady friends from Redmond, a couple of weeks ago and they each took a nice nate on the BGRH and released - Fun!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Troops:
Been away for quite bit lately, but thanks for the comments.

macrabbit: I was up fishing Mon-Wednesday this week. The air temp low was 4 degrees, and the high was 19 degrees when we left on Wednesday. That 19 felt absolutely beachy. I did have an Aztec on the whole time. No hits so none landed, but I most certainly don't blame the pattern. My partner went through a dozen patterns with the same results.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/21/14.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
The air temp low was 4 degrees, and the high was 19 degrees when we left on Wednesday...
I did have an Aztec on the whole time. No hits

Aztecs aren't made for ice fishing!!!!
They were probably under the water holding little "ON STRIKE" signs and scaring off all the fish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1minute,

What's the water temp?

The Rogues been a bit cold, in the mid-low 40's and slowing the bite.

We went 3 for 4 last week, but not on flies. Released a small nate and kept 2 hatchery for the barbie.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great stuff.
Looks like a fabulous time.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blacktail53:

The data for Moody Rapids at the mouth suggest 40 to 42 degrees. Should have been enough for a bite, but we were fishing unfamiliar waters.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/23/14.

1Minute
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.