P
Who has the best price on the VX6 scopes? powdr

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I picked up a like new VX-6 2-12 on EBay used to my door for $600. Haven't been able to duplicate that deal, although I keep looking...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks for the vote of confidence powdr. I've been using the 2-12 version for a couple of years almost, and I think it's very, very forgiving and easy to use, even at higher magnifications. This is what sets it apart from other variables I've used. Also, the duplex reticle is the perfect thickness for me, it's black, and it stays black no matter what. I've only got about 300 rounds through it, but the CDS dials have been dead on accurate and repeatable so far. I took it to Namibia this past May and it performed great. Glass is excellent to boot.

I, like Bill Davis, recently got a 3-18x44 firedot duplex to play around with on a 7mag. So far I really like it too. I like the auto on/off illumination and the variable brightness settings. It too is easy to get behind. Lots to like IMO about the VX6's I've used.

I'm not sure about the comments on the lack of zero stop. When you order the CDS dials, they are zero stop equipped. If you don't want a custom load/yardage dial just have them make up the CDS Dial in MOA with zero stop. One dial for every load possible. The 20 MOA per turn is nice too.

The VX-6 2-12 is about my favorite scope. Mine is non-illuminated duplex. I wouldn't put it on a compact rifle.

For a big, 30mm scope it's fairly sleek and streamlined.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2-12X42 with Fire Dot #4 on one of my .300 Weatherby's. Absolutely love it. I looked real hard at a lot of scopes. Including some very nice "Euro" jobs costing much more. Outstanding scope period.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
DF, is that Mk5 wearing a McMillan and if so, what is the color scheme?

Thanks, Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill Davis ( or anyone with medical or perhaps technical insight) can you explain how any scope can eliminate the issue with blurry crosshairs in older eyes? I am having difficulty understanding how one duplex can be defined, but another not, as a result of some quality of glass difference. Just doesn't seem possible ( - not that I am doubting you). Is it perhaps a focal plain thing? An eye relief thing?

I hunted with an elderly gent who had the problem and more recently Dad all but gave up hunting due to it. When he first complained of crooked crosshairs on his duplex I had him look through my thick post Meopta #4 and the problem still hampered him. My work around was getting him a #4 fire dot style where the problem of wavy reticle was removed by, more or less, ignoring the posts altogether.

Anyone else familiar with the wavy crosshair issue?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hmmm. Thought so.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jt402
DF, is that Mk5 wearing a McMillan and if so, what is the color scheme?

Thanks, Jack

Sorry to answer late, just saw your post.

It's a McWoody, Wby. Express. Formally it was the Sako Safari pattern, MkV inlet. Now they call it the Wby. Express. I got it pillared and glassed it myself.

It's a nice shape and fits me well. Some like the McWoody pattern, some don't.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd get an eye doc to check out anyone with the wavy experience. I recently had a vitrectomy for a macular hole, thankfully not in my shooting eye. The symptoms started with wavy lines.

The VX-6 duplex is very prominent, very black compared to some others. It's one of the best, IMO.

DF

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I had a similar problem and it was due to severe astigmatism in my right eye. Had laser correction surgery done and it's now perfect.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am VERY happy this was something you could and did have fixed. My point was that the Meopta posts were at least as thick as the Leupold heavy duplex and Dad still had the issue. Just seems unlikely anything but medical treatment would improve things. Thanks for the responses.

. Confucius
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Love mine 3x18x44, gave 860.00 for it. Looking to get another one for a new gun that I am looking at. Leaps and bounds over the VXIII scopes that I have.

Don't gobble at me
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been playing with a 1-6 and 2-12 and like them both but haven't hunted them yet. I would buy another in either of these power ranges and have considered another for some Kimber Montanas I have been fiddling with. Also, I too really like the duplex in these.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The issue I take with the VX-6 (in my experience) has been QC woes straight out the box on EVERY one I've purchased.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What problems have they had?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
What problems have they had?

The typical/usual beotches about Leupold's not holding zero, not tracking. In addition to canted reticles, and a rheostat not working.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sir,
I just saw your question about the difference in scopes and the problems with blurry crosshairs in one but not the other. Prior to getting the VX6 I was using VX3 LRs and still do. But I noticed that not all the VX3s would have consistent acuity with respect to the crosshairs. Some would be clear and some not. I am making a guess here based on the difference of the VX6 and the VX3 to MY eyes. It seems to me the VX6 has more available diopter adjustment to the + side for me. But even with the additional diopter adjustment I did not have to use nearly as much adjustment with the VX6. I have to adjust in the direction of being in need of reading glasses for my left eye at + 2.50. Most eyepieces focus only to +2.00.
Also when I had Lasix surgery in the left eye I was left with an aberration on the cornea that makes my vision only correctable to about 20/30. That aberration leaves anything I focus on somewhat blurry including crosshairs. A gas permeable contact helps due to the pressure it hold on the cornea (smoothing out the wrinkle so to speak)but I hate wearing it. So between the better glass of the VX6 and what appears to me to be a wider range of diopter adjustment helps eliminate the blurriness of the crosshairs for me.

And you really didn't have to include your remark about "I didn't think so"...I just didn't see your question in a timely manner. A PM to me would have provided this same explanation.

Bill

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
The issue I take with the VX-6 (in my experience) has been QC woes straight out the box on EVERY one I've purchased.

I just looked through my first 2-12 VX6 a week ago. The duplex lines weren't clean. The verticle line was a little jagged or "hairy" looking close to the center. First and worst reticle flaw I've ever seen in a Leupold.

I wanted to like it but my confidence in Leupold is slipping as QC slips. Maybe they need to give the inspectors eye exams.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought one of the 2-12's and though I haven't shot the rifle its on yet the scope is sweet. Eye relief is generous, eye box is as well, it doesn't have the wire reticle and the duplex is just about the perfect thickness and the glass is very good. I spent like 45 minutes at Bass Pro comparing the Swaro Z3, HDS5 and VX6 and in the end all things considered the VX6 offered the most bang for the buck seeing as all 3 were in the same price range. It's going on a 257 Roy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,539
Posts18,453,081
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.