Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas
MM: I'm so confused! Folks on here swear by the 85gr 6mm HPBTs and the 90gr 257 HPBTs for deer: great penetration, etc. Yet Sierra says they were designed as varmint bullets.

And then, Sierra says the 257, 120gr, is the toughest big game bullet they make in 257.

Weird...

I can tell you, the 90gr .257 HPBTs are varmint bullets. I loaded some up in a .25-06 and shot a whitetail once. Most explosive bullet I've ever killed a critter with, and I've shot them with quite a few of the "notorious ones" (Nosler BT, etc.).

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use this exact bullet in my 308. Excellent deer bullet. I've used the 6.5, 130 version in 260 as well. Also excellent results on deer.

Never shot anything bigger than deer with these. I've since gone to 125 NPs in the 260, but the 308 still spits these out every fall with boringly positive results on deer.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by southtexas
MM: I'm so confused! Folks on here swear by the 85gr 6mm HPBTs and the 90gr 257 HPBTs for deer: great penetration, etc. Yet Sierra says they were designed as varmint bullets.

And then, Sierra says the 257, 120gr, is the toughest big game bullet they make in 257.

Weird...

Nothing to be confused about they come apart hard when you hit big bones just like most Sierras. As long as you go along in life whacking your deer or goats with dbl lung shots busting only a rib or two you will happy with Sierras ,as they generally are very accurate. When the odd time comes you have a frontal shot that requires the bullet to bust the spine and or shoulder bones still making it thru to the vitals you are going to be unhappy, especially so if you enjoy eating your venison. Other bullets do it better it's that simple with less meat loss period. Sierras are very accurate bullets ,some of the best out there,hold together? some of the worst. Using them taught me the doctrine of aiming for the far shoulder when needing to break a animal down on the spot(because they don't allways make it thru the near one). I don't care for blow up bullets in any brand. I learned about bullet behavior by shooting animals with them, not reading about it on the internet. You should do that too. No offense intended. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beretzs
Is the picture showing the entrance side or exit side from the high shoulder shot RC?

Congrats on the buck.. Looks like a good freezer filler..
That's the exit. While the hole is small and very hard to see, the inside is hashed enough to put him down on the spot.
There are actually 2 exit holes there. The other is on top of the spine from my kill shot. It was straight on just under the chin as he was holding his head up. Good luck finding them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
as i said b4 the165 HPGK in 308destroyed too much meat for me. I've had nothing but good results with the 180 pro hunter in 30-06. YMMV and probably has time to time.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd suspect they should be fine, because the matchkings work just fine. And they are not "designed" for hunting.

Cup and core bullets generally leave too much destruction period for my tastes generally... so with the availability of better bullets I simply choose to use those.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I learned about bullet behavior by shooting animals with them, not reading about it on the internet. You should do that too. No offense intended. Magnum Man

No offense taken. I agree. And have done that. And my experience is that Sierra HPBTs are good performers on deer (not counting the 85gr HPBT AND 90 gr HPBT), even on quartering shots ....as long as you don't push them too hard.

Haven't tried to 85 or 90 on big game because their manufacturer calls them varmint bullets, hence the need to gather data via the interweb for them.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I always liked the game kings, never had a problem I have only had 2 bullets that I was not impressed with that way they acted, both did the job! A fellow needed a freezer deer and I grabbed my trusty Carlos, a pre 64 target in a sporter stock 30-06, ammo that day was hornady superformance in 165 gr sst's that were very accurate! A 2 1/2 yr old basket buck ran to me from 300 yards out, about 90 yards out I stood up in a 15 ft tree stand and whistled, the deer turned broad side and slowed to a walk, I hit the deer high in right shoulder, I never had a deer go over so fast in my life, it was like you hit him with a cannon ball, all 4 hooves were straight up, back leg kicked once. I loaded deer and called the fellow who needed him, met him at another friend that was set up to butcher. The darn bullet went off like a hand grenade, it never penetrated rib cage! jacket and lead were every where under hide all the way to cod sack! The only thing I could figure was it was too fast for that kind of jacket. The deer was dead as a hammer so I guess the shock was just too much? The other one I did not like was and old grey box of hornady lt. mags loaded with interbonds, dead very nice buck but he carried the round off 30 yards and was hard to find. The hot load had penciled thru him in and out, Im saying the bullet was to tough and load and or the load was to fast. I got in my truck 3 times, then would tell my self, you know you hit him hard! he had run in a rock pile from and old field that had grown up in 25 yr old scrub oaks. 30 yards max from hit! I am not fussing as both deer were hammer dead, I was just used to the 30 cal bang flop, go down in tracks like a bag of cow feed dead. very best

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchesterpoor, your dead description is what I am used to with old 100 count 165 bts in the 308. Almost everything else, including same bullet in 300win, leaves me wanting. As before YMMV

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

165 grain Sierra hollow point game kings have been my standard .308 for both deer and elk for a while. They work great on elk, no problem. I've dumped plenty with it.

Just killed a young buck using the hpbt a couple weeks ago. Works like a charm.

Very accurate too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bea175
My favorite bullet in my 308 for deer. I also use the 160 gr in my 7x57 for deer

Same here. Also use in 30-06. The 160's are an excellent choice in 7 Rem Mag also.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have used a number of them in 140 gr. .277 on deer over the years with zero problems.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Just took a nice doe this afternoon at 5:40 pm with same bullet in my 30-06. 60 yrd broadside shot. Typical performance...excellent. I'm running less then max. listed load. Shoots sub MOA @ 2860 fps average.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've used the 90 grain HPBT Gameking from a 257 Roberts on Deer, Mrs. Tide has used the 130 grain HPBT Gameking and I've loaded but not had a chance to pull the trigger on a 140 grain HPBT Gameking from a 270 WSM and a 140 grain HPBT Gameking out of a 7mm/08 on deer.

They work. I don't guess I'd hesitate to use them again.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I've used the 90 grain HPBT Gameking from a 257 Roberts on Deer, Mrs. Tide has used the 130 grain HPBT Gameking and I've loaded but not had a chance to pull the trigger on a 140 grain HPBT Gameking from a 270 WSM and a 140 grain HPBT Gameking out of a 7mm/08 on deer.

They work. I don't guess I'd hesitate to use them again.

Let me know how the 140s work in your .270WSM. I have some ready to turn into reloads myself. I wish I had them ready for deer season.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I am shooting up the last few rounds I have loaded for that rifle with 110 grain TTSX's and then more than likely I will give the Sierras a go.

I'm thinking the performance may be a tad different, though.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,350 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.