Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good evening,

Has anyone ever had any trouble with Hornady One Shot lube as far as requiring excessive force to close or open with a FL RCBS die? I have been using One Shot for a couple of years but the last couple of batches that I have done seem to be quite sticky so for kicks today I went back to RCBS lube on a pad for a load of .325 WSM that I was doing for a friend. WAY easier to resize.

Does One Shot get old? My can might be a couple of years old.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit using the Hornady One shot and went to the Imperial Sizing Wax. Since then, zero issues with stuck cases, etc.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I kind of hated how the RCBS lube was kind of greasy, but I have had a couple of stuck cases in the last few months.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a can of it and it makes sizing way tougher than it should be I went to Lee sizing paste and no issues. I do use the one shot to spray brass that I'm storing it helps with tarnish.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Long time ago I was using Lyman spray and got low so I bought some Hornady. I did not like it and gave it away, I think, anyway it is gone. I use the RCBS pad or a Lee collet. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was in a pinch once. And used CLP Break free from safari land and it worked very well. Sizing was like using Lee paste.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by imgoofy
I quit using the Hornady One shot and went to the Imperial Sizing Wax. Since then, zero issues with stuck cases, etc.

That is all I have used for the last 18 years. A little slower, a lot better.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use nothing but Hornady One Shot for Years and never had a problem

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It works well for bedding release and corrosion protection for steel, so I wouldn't toss it.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I used it with no problems in the spray can, then I bought the big spray bottle and the pump did not work too well, plus it has a wide, heavy spray pattern had some dented shoulders after sizing. Gonna have to try a different spray bottle.

Last edited by clos; 10/05/14.

Clos

NRA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used OneShot for several years. If you shake it well before use, then let it dry completely (sometimes as long as an hour, sometimes it might be the next day) no problems. But it must be dry or you get dented shoulders and if still wet it will stick a case. Did I say shake it well.......? My experience with it anyway.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by imgoofy

That is all I have used for the last 18 years. A little slower, a lot better.

Imperial Sizing Wax since the late 70's......I keep my stuck case remover around just to say I have one.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Years of using One Shot with no issues here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Only stuck cases I have ever had were with One Shot. I find you need to use more of it than other brands. I swore it off for some time but have since tried it again with 100% success.

Imperial is my favorite of all but way too slow.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I stuck some cases until I learned to shake the crap out of the rattle can several times and letting it set upside down before using it. Other than that it works quite well for me.
I spray and then roll the cases over a wet cloth. I let them set before sizing while I trim, etc the previous 7 seven sized cases.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had great luck with one shot in the aerosol can. I did have bad luck with it in a pump spray bottle so I don't use it anymore. I spray the dies before resizing and then spray 200 cases at a time in load blocks. I haven't found anything faster or easier for large quantities of brass. After resizing, I tumble the brass for an hour or so in corn cob media to remove the lube.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've had good luck with One-shot. The secret to using it is to read and follow the directions. I spray my cases upside down. Then after drying turn them over and spray again. Allowing 4 or 5 minutes to dry before resizing. Imperial is my old favorite. I use Imperial for small sessions. 20 rds. or less.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Any issues with primer miss fires using one shot?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kk alaska

None here. On my 3rd can.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using it for years with no problems. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Original aerosol had several miss fires before I started cleaning the cases after sizing. New stuff is not as good as the original. Imperial outside and motor mica inside works well and the case can just be wiped off with a solvent to clean.

I clean and lube the dies every 100 or so cases now, this goes a long way to prevent stuck cases. This even with some old dies that went through a flood and didn't look salvageable.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't had any problems with it but I apply it pretty liberally & let it sit long enough to completely dry, & by far, the bulk of the cases I load for are not belted mags.

I do find it feels harder to push the case into the die than the same cases lubed with either Imperial or RCBS lube.

Actually, in most standard calibers, I'm collet neck sizing for the most part.

MM

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm on about my 12th can, never had a problem yet. Been using it for about 3 years.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Let it dry, completely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by swampshooter
I'm on about my 12th can, never had a problem yet. Been using it for about 3 years.

Been using it pretty much since it first appeared--haven't kept track of the years, it's been quite a few. Never stuck a case or had a misfire. Just follow the instructions on the can. I clean cases in a vibratory cleaner after I resize/deprime them.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I quit using the Hornady spray years ago, it just wasn't up to the job of resizing the brass from my M1A. Switched to Hornady Unique wax, no more stuck cases and much easier. If I ever use up this $3.00 tub I'll try Imperial, but I'm not sure I'll live that long.

I won't go back to sprays, no matter how "convenient" they are.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Love the stuff, fast and easy. Never had a problem in using it for many years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love the stuff too. Works great for release agent when glass bedding rifles. Lube for sizing cases, I don't think so... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by olblue
I've been using it for years with no problems. --- Mel

roger that, great product never had an issue and i've used lots of it.

Last edited by ned; 10/07/14.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been using it for at least twenty years and never a problem. I do wipe my case with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol after re-sizing to remove any powder or lube residues.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've probably used a dozen or more cans and never had an issue. I set the cases in load blocks and spray row by row from all four sides at 45 degrees so the inside of the neck gets lubed too. I can lube 200 cases in a matter of min. Last winter I processed over 3500 pieces of LC .223 and .308 without a single stuck case or problem. I just set the load blocks on newspaper or cardboard to keep the overspray off the floor. The blocks get pretty greasy but you can just wash them with dawn or run them through the dishwasher (when the wife isn't looking).

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by lastround
I've used OneShot for several years. If you shake it well before use, then let it dry completely (sometimes as long as an hour, sometimes it might be the next day) no problems. But it must be dry or you get dented shoulders and if still wet it will stick a case. Did I say shake it well.......? My experience with it anyway.

Possibly I am not letting it dry long enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duckster,
Some guys don't like OneShot, but for large quantities I have found it to be the best thing since sliced bread. You've gotta shake it well before spraying and then have something else to do for a while. I honestly usually wait an hour. I have gotten busy and not resized until the next day with no problems. OneShot is not as slick as Imperial, but it sure is handier.

I do use Imperial when re-forming brass or necking down 308 Lapua to 7mm-08 for example, but when preparing several hundred rounds for a prairie dog shoot, out comes the OneShot. Good luck and always use what works for you.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It makes a good release agent. I switched to imperial wax for sizing

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I am betting I just did not wait long enough from what I am reading.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I had to learn not to immediately start reloading with One Shot. If the brass is still wet you'll stick em. Same with the Dillon spray lube, but it doesn't seem to be as critical.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've resized thousands of cases using Hornady One Shot lube. Never had a single problem.
I like to lay out the brass to be resized on a paper towel, lined up side by side, 10-12 per row. A quick shot over the case bodies, then turn 'em all at once a half turn, give them another shot, then a quick shot into the case mouths.
It doesn't take much of this stuff to work.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Used it since it came out , never a problem . use as instructed spray cases in a loading tray at a 45 degree angle I did have one problem with one can , it didn't spray out in a "mist" it sprayed in a stream ?? In damn near 30 years of loading I have never stuck any case (with any type of lube) that a stuck case remover was needed , just how hard does one have to push the handle of a press to stick one that bad ?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I used it for quite a while for high volume but then had a couple cases get stuck from a military rifle with large chamber and stopped using it. For the most part it worked OK but I often seemed to be on the ragged edge or not enough lube and sizing force was higher than other lubes. For case forming or tough ones like that military rifle I have always used Imperial. I now use regular Pam for high volume loading. A little goes a long way and it is easy to wash off the cases. I use a wet tumbling method so washing and drying cases is not a big deal for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No problems here been using it for about 8yrs.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problems here, I even clean and spray my dies. Only case that I have stuck was a berdan primed 7.62x54R that snuck in.

Sean
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Imperial all the way for me. Only Use for Horn One Shot is release agent. I'm just not in that big a hurry when I reload....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Let it dry first!!!

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I did notice some of these "streaks" on the brass that I was sizing. [Linked Image]

Maybe the die is dirty or is there a different cause? Brass has been fired once

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, clean your dies.

Sean
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What is the best way to clean the dies?

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Carb cleaner or just simply clean them like you would a rifle barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Break cleaner and compressed air for me. Just dissasemble them first. Maybe a q-tip too.

Sean
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had several primer miss fires today where I used Hornady One shot. Will try same rifle and primers with Imperial wax and see if it occurs again. 3 miss fires out of 10 fired primer looked like it should have fired tried several times.

kk alaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How are you getting OneShot on your primers? I spray cases sitting in a tray, primer pocket down, spray at a 45 degree angle. Let it dry, and resize. Never had a FTF in the years I've used it. But, you have to let it dry.

Doug
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You're not supposed to spray the One Shot on the primers!?! What exactly are you doing to size your cases anyway?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Spraying all angles, with One Shot, cases upright, letting case dry resizing, then putting new primers in.

Experienced misfires last range session 3 in 10 shots?

Pulled bullet, dumped powder, replaced primer, and test fired primer ignited first strike?

Don't know what think other than One shot causing misfire? Only thing different is ambient temp was 25F when misfire occurred and 68 F testing primer.

Bolt and firing pin oil free and have had no issues in past. MRC action, Rem 9 1/2 primer.

Have read of others having misfires with One Shot which is why I asked the question.

kk alaska

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I really don't think it is possible that One Shot is causing the misfires.

Are you full-length resizing? Creating too much headspace which then pushes the case forward upon hitting it with the firing pin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been using One Shot for years with no problems.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When Imperial Case Wax exists, I really dont know what the point of any other case lube is.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I didn't care for one shot lube. I gave it one shot and I was done. "pun intended"

Nice to know it works well for release agent. I'll have to try it.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only time in my life that I've stuck cases in a die was using OneShot as directed. I like how it dries but I will stick with Imperial and Pam going forward. I wish Imperial came in a liquid/spray form for use in a progressive press.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
one shot is all I use. Works good have never had an issue.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Dakota deer cases are resized for my rifle with a slight crush on bolt closing.

Which is why I checked using same unresized case that did not fire, same cartridge headspace.

Others had experienced one shot and primer misfires which made me suspect it.

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Went to range again about 50 % misfires 20 F pulled remaining bullets and reprimed them with same primers test fired MT cases
all fired.

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/06/14.

kk alaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kurt, is this happening with more than one rifle, or is it only one? --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good ? have had some misfires with others but not 30 to 50 % as with the MRC in 6.5 X 284. Just cant figure out why after pulling bullet and firing same case it goes off every time, only thing diferent is ambient temp. May put case out side overnight and try it. Primer looks like it should fire tried it multiple times. Phil Shoemaker said he had missfires with One Shot also?

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting, I hadn't heard about misfires with One Shot. I bought 2 cans of it a few years back and haven't had any problems with stuck cases or misfires.

Maybe they changed the formulation recently?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At what point in your reloading process are your new primers making any contact with your case lube? Are you spraying it into the primer pockets?

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sized 150 cases this evening with One Shot and it was slicker than owl snot just like usual.

In a couple of days when I get to the range I'll see about contaminated primers but I don't expect any.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Found what I think was the issue and it was not One Shot. Brass issue.

kk alaska

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have tried using ONE SHOT twice. Ended up with cases stuck in the dies both times. Will never use it again! Im sticking with the RCBS liquid lube. Its been working for 20 years....

Last edited by Mssgn; 12/17/14.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.