Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by fredIII
Inside 500 they are both fine it is bullet choice that will matter. Use good boat tail bullet like amax or ballistic tip ect.

Ballistic tips are good bullets, but they're not boattails so their BCs aren't up there with the A-max or Berger vlds.

It's all about the wind when you get out there, and BC affects the amount of drift.

Get a ballistics program or go on Berger's website and use their ballistics calculator to enter in different BCs and see how wind drift is affected at long range, that will give you a good idea of why bullet selection is important.

Excuse me, but Nosler Ballistic Tips are indeed "boatail" bullets anyone can see that.

A ballistic tip is not a true boattail bullet. They're not flat-base, but their "boattail" is inconsequential compared to a true boattail and it shows up in the BC. Here's a photo of three 6.5 bullets, with a vld on the left, a 120 grain BT in the middle, and a 123 grain Scenar on the right. The vld and scenar are true boattail bullets:

[Linked Image]

The G1 BC of the 123 scenar is .527, and the figure given by Nosler for the BT is .458. Brian Litz has the 120 BT pegged at .418. A lot of the difference is due to the BT's lack of a true boattail.

They're all boat-tail bullets, but some BT's are more aggressive than others. Just like they're all pointed bullets, as opposed to RN, but the meplats and ogives of these pointed bullets vary considerably. The VLD and Scenar have a boat tail with a very-low drag profile, as where the BT on the 120 BT is anemic by comparison.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You'll have to excuse smoke. He thinks boat tails have a propeller.

No, but I'm pretty sure your hat does.

Stalker!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Inside 500 they are both fine it is bullet choice that will matter. Use good boat tail bullet like amax or ballistic tip ect.

Ballistic tips are good bullets, but they're not boattails so their BCs aren't up there with the A-max or Berger vlds.

It's all about the wind when you get out there, and BC affects the amount of drift.

Get a ballistics program or go on Berger's website and use their ballistics calculator to enter in different BCs and see how wind drift is affected at long range, that will give you a good idea of why bullet selection is important.

Excuse me, but Nosler Ballistic Tips are indeed "boatail" bullets anyone can see that.

A ballistic tip is not a true boattail bullet. They're not flat-base, but their "boattail" is inconsequential compared to a true boattail and it shows up in the BC. Here's a photo of three 6.5 bullets, with a vld on the left, a 120 grain BT in the middle, and a 123 grain Scenar on the right. The vld and scenar are true boattail bullets:

[Linked Image]

The G1 BC of the 123 scenar is .527, and the figure given by Nosler for the BT is .458. Brian Litz has the 120 BT pegged at .418. A lot of the difference is due to the BT's lack of a true boattail.

They are all spritzer boatail bullets with different ogivals, you are showing a complete lack of knowledge.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You'll have to excuse smoke. He thinks boat tails have a propeller.

Apparently!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are all spritzer boatail bullets with different ogivals, you are showing a complete lack of knowledge.

Spritzers and ogivals? Keep 'em coming, I'm learning here.

Seriously though, it's my turn to say it now: "This is the long range forum, right?"

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The VLD and Scenar have a boat tail with a very-low drag profile, as where the BT on the 120 BT is anemic by comparison.

Yes, they are all boat tail bullets, but if you look back at my posts and read them in context, by calling the BT "anemic by comparison" we're saying the same thing.

I was replying to someone who recommended BTs as long range bullets having "good boat tails" and being in the same league with A-max's.

They're not. I should've just said "they're not what I'd call a good boat tail bullet."

But if I'd said that, I never would've learned about spritzers and ogivals.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya got yer spritzers, ogivals, and all kinds a stuff here.

Ogivals are either Seekins or Tangibles. Sometimes they're intangible

Spritzers are pointy and sometimes hallowed

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get Mark Spitz's book, it's all in there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got that book. Some great recipes in there. My wife really likes the white wine spritzers.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The dreaded typo

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I was replying to someone who recommended BTs as long range bullets having "good boat tails" and being in the same league with A-max's.

Actually the original reccomenadation was for bullets to be used inside of 500yds for deer out of a 7mm-08 or a 260. It was a good reccomenadation. It doesn't take a VLD style bullet to make hits 500 and under.

David

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All true, and I believe I said BTs were good bullets. I've shot them out to 800 accurately.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jordan..,the 2 cartridges I'm leaning toward are the 260 & 7-08.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to clear up some questions I had...,much appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished a load for my .300 WM lightweight hunting rifle.

If I kill something that will go B&C, please don't tell Boone and Crockett that I killed it at Long Range.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just finished a load for my .300 WM lightweight hunting rifle.

If I kill something that will go B&C, please don't tell Boone and Crockett that I killed it at Long Range.

[Linked Image]

RC

What does your lightweight 300WM weigh? Just curious....

Thanks,

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never weighed it. I know it's lighter than the 15# competition rifle that I killed my antelope with!

I'm saying 9'ish

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never weighed it. I know it's lighter than the 15# competition rifle that I killed my antelope with!

I'm saying 9'ish

Thanks,,

Lightweight means different things to different folks, was just curious. Care to share some rifle specifics? Barrel length? Contour? Twist? Stock? Optics? Mounts?

David

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
rc, sounds like you have some nice .300's.. My sporter is about 9-10 #.. It has been a great rifle since 1971..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's another Score High Gunsmithing build.

Model 70 post 64 action
Bartlein stainless #4 ? 10 twist
Score High Hunting Brake
Manners EH-1 pillar bedded with Score High Pro-Bed 2000
Factory trigger worked
Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20 40mm TMR MOA target knobs
Leupold dual dovetails
Score High Custom Cerocoat job. Entire thing

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
RC,

Thanks for the details - always nice to see what's working for other folks!

What's your opinion of the brake? Worth it in a non-comp rifle?

What's the mount on your scope for? Night time varmint light?

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have a brake on every rifle.

Not sure what you mean by the "mount". There's a bubble level

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.