Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
In August, my wife and I traveled to S. Africa for a hunt. Went from Colorado Spgs. to Dulles, then to Joburg with a stop in Dakar, Senegal.

Upon arrival in Joburg, there was a screening for body temperature before you went thru passport inspection and customs. Hmmm.....

The return was a retrace of the trip over, with the stopover in Dakar for refueling, crew change, meals, etc. I must admit, it was a bit unsettling to see a new crew come onboard, obviously based in Dakar, meals being loaded onboard prepared God knows where.

Senegal supposedly has only one case of Ebola confirmed, but is next door to other countries where the disease is out of control. I must admit feeling a bit uneasy on that aircraft, even with the abundant reassurances by our government that everything is okay. The fact that the Joburg airport was doing body temp screening is a sign that they must not believe everything is okay.

Once home, both my wife and I came down sick with what turned out to be just respiratory ailments, undoubtedly picked up on the airline flights.

It's just a matter of time......

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny how different things can be in RSA

I was there in August and in Sept but flew nonstop from Atlanta. No such health checks and body temperature measurements.

When our current administration says with bold confidence that nobody will get into this country with Ebola ( obama Sept 13th) then the CDC manager says Ebola will never become a threat to Americans and is unlikely to ever enter our shores ( Sept 16th)

Now we have approx 10 people in Quarantine in 6 different states. including one guy who came in knowing he was exposed and most likely had Ebola.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I came back middle of August and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

However my wife has us taking, wal-born (Walgreen brand) it seems to keep us from catching colds and respiratory issues while flying.

Using alcohol hand wipes (we carry with us a good supply)for every thing you touch is a good way to keep from catching things also.

I have thought about the masks, as other passengers have been starting wearing them, may be a good idea in the future.

Never use anyone's blanket or ear buds that has been opened. i usually take my own ear buds and use the blanket to sit on in the plastic wrap.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm surprised more people don't have rubber gloves and masks to walk through an airport. Virtually everything gets touched, then someone comes along and touches it again. I'm glad I won't be traveling for a while.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Knowing that you have Ebola and are in the very early stages, what would prevent you from eating a handful of Advil to knock your fever down to defeat the airport scans and then traveling to Europe or the US for treatment?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Knowing that you have Ebola and are in the very early stages, what would prevent you from eating a handful of Advil to knock your fever down to defeat the airport scans and then traveling to Europe or the US for treatment?

Nothing, that is the answer. I snuck out of Shenzhen China with the bird flu in 2003. Advil and cold towels on my forehead before walking under the IR scanners. Then probably gave it to every single passenger on my flight to LA. But I got out, and got home to good medical care� expect the same with Ebola. We're all [bleep].

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just don't step outside your house. You'll be safe there. ffs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tophet1

My feeling exactly

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

My feeling exactly

Obviously, neither me nor my wife were afraid to step out of our house- there are a lot of potential threats to life and limb in this life, and risks are taken daily by all of us.
This most recent trip to Africa was our fourth, and we travel to many countries abroad for hunting and fishing.
My sincere hope is this present scare is just that, a scare, and nothing more. I also hope that it doesn't put a damper on future African hunt trips for others, concerned about airline travel, etc. and exposure to Ebola.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They (O.R. Tambo) have been using the thermal imaging scanner when you clean RSA Immigration/Passport control at least since our first trip then in 2008. The previous purpose was to scan for Yellow Fever. It has been located at the head of the pass port line where you are "fanned out" to have your passport stamped with the visa.

If you are just transiting JNB and making a direct connection to another county you'd miss it, but if you are staying in RSA to hunt or just over-nighting one of the airport hotels or local B&B/Guesthouse, requiring your passport to be stamped, you've gone through the thermal imager and may not have even noticed.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was on the last flight allowed into china during the SARS epidemic. The US airlines quit flying in the next day. I actually heard they were going to stop the flights and that my mission team could get a full refund if we decided not to go. Our Mission board sent me an email telling us to cancel. I saw the info line of the email and did not open it so I could claim ignorance. I was "willingly ignorant" of course.
My group was gungho and no one wanted to opt out.
We went and had a fruitful trip.
The flight over only had about 30 people. We each had a whole row to ourselves. Flight back? packed and a day later than planned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by M3taco
They (O.R. Tambo) have been using the thermal imaging scanner when you clean RSA Immigration/Passport control at least since our first trip then in 2008. The previous purpose was to scan for Yellow Fever. It has been located at the head of the pass port line where you are "fanned out" to have your passport stamped with the visa.

They were using the scanners when we went in May 2010. Supposedly that was because of the World Cup. They weren't using them when we went in May 2014.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No big deal...there are always things to worry about and reasons to say no. Go and have fun.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Originally Posted by M3taco

They were using the scanners when we went in May 2010. Supposedly that was because of the World Cup. They weren't using them when we went in May 2014.

That's strange to hear Charles. After coming back earlier in the year from the European outdoor shows, the scanners were still there. It could be because all South African/African passport holders go through the same gates, and European and Rest of the World passport holders go through different gates? Maybe they only screen the Africans?

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 10/12/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They were using them in June, July and Aug this year when I and three different groups of friends came through each month - all of us from the States. All three times we stayed over at the City Lodge and caught flights the next morning to Namibia.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As a health professional I find it curious that there is so much uneducated hysteria about Ebola. This seems to be centered in North America. It would make an interesting sociological study to find out why.

There is a risk if you are an uneducated 3rd world resident or a negligent health worker. The risk from dysentry, malaria and common daily mishaps are far more dangerous and have been with us for a lot longer.

Please, when you travel and go about your daily routine, don't fall over. Common falls are the biggest danger to your health.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a health professional I find it curious that there is so much uneducated hysteria about Ebola. This seems to be centered in North America. It would make an interesting sociological study to find out why.

There is a risk if you are an uneducated 3rd world resident or a negligent health worker. The risk from dysentry, malaria and common daily mishaps are far more dangerous and have been with us for a lot longer.

Please, when you travel and go about your daily routine, don't fall over. Common falls are the biggest danger to your health.

We in North America aren't worried about falling. We know the Ebola Zombies will help us up.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tell that to the nurse in Dallas that caught it while taking all recommended precautions and our CDC who keep changing their protocols. I am also seeing concerns expressed by laboratory professionals on MedLab.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Tell that to the nurse in Dallas that caught it while taking all recommended precautions and our CDC who keep changing their protocols. I am also seeing concerns expressed by laboratory professionals on MedLab.

The nurse did not use correct procedure in removing her protective gear.

Here you go:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
[email protected]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We have not had a single client (I am the U.S. rep for Hunters Namibia Safaris) contact us with any concerns about ebola. Apparently some people are more excitable than others.

I went through Jo'burg in June/July 2014 on my way to and from Namibia with my family. No health screening of any kind. I would happily get on a plane tomorrow to go back.

I do expect ebola to be a topic of conversation at the safari club shows this winter but I also expect to book as many safaris as we have openings.

RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.