Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Autumn is the upon us and there are a multitude of squirrels out there just waiting for you to shoot them. Don�t think you have to make it complicated to enjoy an afternoon chasing these furry denizens of the forest. Here are ten tremendous tips to help you come home loaded down with delicious white meat.

1. Hunt the yellow. Like any game animal, hunt the food source. In the early fall, yellow leafs are a dinner bell for limb chickens. Black walnuts in Minnesota, hickory in Wisconsin, and pecans down in Illinois. Find a yellow tree and find your squirrels.

2. At sunrise, don�t shoot the first one. Letting more than one squirrel make its appearance before shooting works well at day break, and results in a some fast action shooting.

3. Wear camo. You don�t have to step into the woods dressed like Rambo, but it�ll help you see more squirrels. For some reason, a slow creeping camoflage blob just pisses a lot of squirrels off. They come bark at you, and you shoot them in the face. Good times had by all.

4. Stay on the move. I like to put a time limit on my ambush locations. Usually, in 20 minutes squirrels will appear if they are active and in the area. When I change locations, I do it slowly and normally don�t travel more than 100 yards if I�m in good hardwood forest.

5. Bring a friend. Squirrels naturally circle to the other side of the tree as danger approaches. Having a friend along will keep them moving to the other side presenting a shot to one of you.

6. Choose your gun wisely. If you fancy yourself the sniper type, try using a 22 or a powerful airgun. But if like me you�re only an average or poor shot I highly suggest you go with your shotgun. Many of my shots come at fleeing squirrels when they are moving from tree to tree (timbering). I can go through .22 bullets pretty fast chasing a cat squirrel. Plus, that whole notion of a 22 bullet travelling a mile. So I use a 12 gauge shotgun with a modified choke, size 4-6 shells.

7. Follow your shot. Unless you see the squirrel lying there dead, go to it. Otherwise, they can cover a lot of ground and their instinct is to crawl into a hole. DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND IN A SQUIRREL HOLE.

8. Float a squirrel. I love hunting from canoes and learned early in life a squirrel will float�for a while. However, they don�t take the best photos when wet.

9. Use Blanket Pins to carry your take. Upland game bird bags were my go to choice for years. But now I don�t like them for squirrels because they leave the squirrel in a curled position once rigor mortis sets in. This makes skinning a chore. Second, in warm weather they can get too hot. These gigantic safety pins are the answer. Clip them to a backpack; or even better a belt loop, and proudly show off your bloody pants leg to all your friends.

10. Bring some high-quality game shears. Take a look at this video about how to clean a squirrel. Simple, effective, and much better than the traditional casing method. Art in its highest form.

Do you have any tips for a better squirrel hunt? I�d like to hear them.

Also, I have some pictures over at my blog: http://wp.me/p3bCKM-sd if you'd like to check them out.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Excellent!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Good infor Andy. NOt disagreeing with you on the floating squirrels but in 60 years of hunting squirrels, I've killed a few who fell into a creek, pond, or river I've never seen one float.

Maybe they were all weighted down with too many #5s. smile

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/08/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great post, Andy!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're correct about the not floating thing. When we hunted from a canoe, we carried a long handled dip net. Saved many for the skillet that way.

Last edited by schoolmarm; 10/08/14.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent post.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea, they can sink. But I'm usually quick on the retrieve! I'm glad you liked it gents.

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post Andy, if you dont mind my asking, what would you do if there was more softwood (think pine, fir, cedar) with a small mix of madrone and occasionally an oak tree.

How would you hunt this type of woods?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use to do this in Minnesota all the time......

walk with a friend...and carry on a conversation..... when you see or hear a squirrel one of you proceed and keep talking... and making as much rustling in the leaves as you can....

The other guy hangs back, kneels and stays quiet...

after the other guy has gone ahead a little ways, the squirrel thinks you have passed and will come out of hiding...

Me and my buddies use to bag them all over the place like that there....

its even better when you have three guys, the other two keep walking and talking... soon as squirrel thinks it's safe... out in comes and hiding the dirt is the next thing it does...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Something I learned pretty early and put to good use. Like hunting big game, hunt into the wind. The olfactory capabilities of squirrels are phenomenal. While still hunting I invariably saw and killed 50% more when I hunted into the wind.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Great post Andy, if you dont mind my asking, what would you do if there was more softwood (think pine, fir, cedar) with a small mix of madrone and occasionally an oak tree.

Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

First, look for cuttings from the pine. They may be hammering the pine cones.

Also, I'd make sure I sat at the rare oak tree as well. Sometimes the evergreens can be like deserts with no food for the squirrels so a good producing oak might be a heavily used feeding tree.

I'm not familiar with madrone, but if they have something edible key on them as well. I think you should have some interesting species there in Oregon. Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
383 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.