Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by McCray
Winchester of course.

I haven't bought a new Remington rifle since 2003 or so, and haven't seen anything that made me reach for my wallet.

As far as weight goes, I have fifteen or so Supergrade rifles and SG stocked rifles. Weight of the stock alone can vary over 8 ounces! So what the catalog or websight claims for weight doesn't mean jack.

Also, Winchester did a limited run of lightweight SuperGrades this year in 7x57mm. Think Supergrade stock but Featherweight barrel profile. They're over priced right now, but if you could find one priced right...

And they all have cabelas. In big gold letter

Much better than having 270 engraved on the barrel wink

Blasphemy.

So. All up with 5 rounds in the box, and the Leupy and Talleys a 7/08 would weigh around 8# 14 ounces

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always prefer M70's also, but the supergrade is just too danged heavy. I can tell you from my own experience that buying a rifle that heavy because I was glamoured by the eye candy appeal would result in it becoming a safe queen and not getting hunted. I'd think it wouldn't bother me in the store, but after a few hunts I'd get un-enamored with it. I'd either go for the featherweight or find a NIB featherweight deluxe that they made for a few years. In addition to the weight I wouldn't want the 24" barrels (270 & 300 WSM) or the 26" barrel on the 7mm rem mag. The featherweight versions would come 2" shorter.

I also question why you'd want to put talley lightweights on a supergrade. I like talley's and use several sets of them, but they're pretty much the world's ugliest scope mounts and completely out of place on a fancy rifle like a supergrade. Using them to save a couple ozs. on a 9.5 lb rifle is pointless, it's like taking the bumper off your 1 ton diesel pickup to save fuel. I'd pick something nicer looking like leupold dual dovetails for a rifle like that.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I always prefer M70's also, but the supergrade is just too danged heavy. I can tell you from my own experience that buying a rifle that heavy because I was glamoured by the eye candy appeal would result in it becoming a safe queen and not getting hunted. I'd think it wouldn't bother me in the store, but after a few hunts I'd get un-enamored with it. I'd either go for the featherweight or find a NIB featherweight deluxe that they made for a few years. In addition to the weight I wouldn't want the 24" barrels (270 & 300 WSM) or the 26" barrel on the 7mm rem mag. The featherweight versions would come 2" shorter.

The short action supergrades are 22 inch bbls, but two inches has never bothered me.

I carry close to 20 pounds plus on my belt at work every day, a 9 pound rifle doesn't bother me

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The short action supergrades are 22 inch bbls...

The only short action you had listed is the 300 WSM and it's a 24" barrel. Non magnum short actions get 22".

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535203

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Winchester 70 in 270 Winchester is my suggestion!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G

The only short action you had listed is the 300 WSM and it's a 24" barrel. Non magnum short actions get 22".

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535203

Fair enough.

I'm leaning towards the 7-08 in a Supergrade

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by McCray
Winchester of course.

I haven't bought a new Remington rifle since 2003 or so, and haven't seen anything that made me reach for my wallet.

As far as weight goes, I have fifteen or so Supergrade rifles and SG stocked rifles. Weight of the stock alone can vary over 8 ounces! So what the catalog or websight claims for weight doesn't mean jack.

Also, Winchester did a limited run of lightweight SuperGrades this year in 7x57mm. Think Supergrade stock but Featherweight barrel profile. They're over priced right now, but if you could find one priced right...

And they all have cabelas. In big gold letter

Cabelas got them first, I believe, but they are out there from other dealers now without the advertising stain.

I want to handle one...with that barrel, they might be as butt heavy as Oprah!

Last edited by McCray; 10/07/14.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy the Remington 700. The model 70 Supergrade is too heavy for me and its a CRF , which I find to be fickle. I also think Talleys are ugly.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Fair enough.

I'm leaning towards the 7-08 in a Supergrade
Dammit,you change your mind almost as quick as I do. eek laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gitem- you do not say where you are or what you are h unting. i have a supergrade in 300 wm . it is a very atractive rifle. it is not light. it shoots great. why a heavy 7-08? the rem cdl might run a close second not a bdl though. 30-06 300 win or 7mm

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'd buy the Remington 700. The model 70 Supergrade is too heavy for me and its a CRF , which I find to be fickle. I also think Talleys are ugly.

You mean the CRFs are peone to jamming?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a model 70 fan at heart. I'm in Pa and will
Mostky hunt whitetails. I just think the model 70 looks better than the CDL, and all up the 700 won't be that much lighter than the 70

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I say the 70 and in 300 WSM. To be honest, it's because the new ones seem to be very well made and I like 70s. My Classic is respectably made, but I think the new ones are a little better. The synthetic B&C stock is certainly better than mine. I said 300 WSM because I like more recoil and to pay more for ammo. Mine is very accurate with most loads.

ETA: Any of those cartridge choices are good.

Last edited by UncleBigGreen; 10/07/14.

Human rights don't have expiration dates.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's the way i'm leaning. Which caliber would you choose?

300 WSM......I take it, the first question in the OP was rhetorical or at the very least a no brainer...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are comparing the super grade to anything Remington, it should be the CDL, not the BDL.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
4 ounces is but one candy bar.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some of these little [bleep] (f uckers) need a lite done right rifle though. To each their own. Pass the 1/4 lb candy bar please..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are selling half pound Reese's butter cups here in Canada holy [bleep]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kimber montana in 30-06!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's the way i'm leaning. Which caliber would you choose?
Of the three, 7 Rem Mag...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.