Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
...why do I wanna pay a higher price when I get guns from my delaer for 50 bicks above his cost

So you can buy something you want, instead of something he has?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Normally he can order in whatever I want. But his distributors don't have any supergrades available

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
My deaker just found one of the 7-08 Supergrades. And gave me a price of 1079.00

I'm gonna go see him tomorrow

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So,you're gonna settle for the 7/08,thought you had more sense than that. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My deaker just found one of the 7-08 Supergrades. And gave me a price of 1079.00

Nice score! Congrats.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Super Grade .270 Winchester.

I have possessed several Mod. 70's, pre-64, post-64 and Classics (Feartherweight, Supergrade, Sporter, Varminter aso.) in calibers ranging from 22-250 Rem. up to 375 H&H mag.)

When I learned that the Mod. 70 will in the future be assembled in Portugal, I decided to purchase one of the last "Made in USA" Rifleman's Rifle.

I did'nt like the closing of the New-Heaven plant in the mid 2000's.

In 2010 a 30-06 Sprfld. Model 70 Super-grade made for BACO that I'd purchased new over here showed a major flaw and had to be replaced by Browning Canada.

Nevertheless, last year I purchased a new in the box 270 Win., BACO stamped Mod. 70 in Sporter fashion, with a 24" clean barrel.

I'm 67 and Jack O'Connor was my favorite gun writer, so my last (humm, humm...) rifle had to be Jack's 270 Mod. 70.

That Browning took the decision to stamp "Made in Portugal" on a Mod. 70 is a sad thing. Not that the portuguese workers are incompetent (I'm sure they are not!), but the Mod. 70 is so much emblematic of America that it ought to be made here.

I understand Browning had a hard time to get the rifles made in the US because the plant that was sub-contracting was overbooked with other projects.

Pleased to report that my son, who's a lefty, owns one of the last New-Heaven made 375 H&H left-handed Mod. 70 sold new in the box anywhere.

Maybe even the last one.

We were living in Europe at the time New-Heaven closed, and I managed to purchase the Browning-Winchester (Europe) exibition rifle from their head-office in Belgium.

The rifle was delivered to us sometime in 2006 in the duchy of Luxembourg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would choose the super grade in 300WM.

The super grade part of the equation is a no brainer so let me explain why 300WM. I've spent years buying most of the popular calibers and then some but one I've never owned is the 300WM and if I were to be honest with myself and the hunting I do, I have concluded at least for me, that it's the best one gun caliber. The answer for you might be entirely different but you have to give the 300 at least an A for versatility. Good luck on whatever you pick.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I would choose the super grade in 300WM.

The super grade part of the equation is a no brainer so let me explain why 300WM. I've spent years buying most of the popular calibers and then some but one I've never owned is the 300WM and if I were to be honest with myself and the hunting I do, I have concluded at least for me, that it's the best one gun caliber. The answer for you might be entirely different but you have to give the 300 at least an A for versatility. Good luck on whatever you pick.

SG pickings were nill, I did find one of the Shot show Special SuperGrade 7mm/08s. It'll be here in a week or so

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmschmitt
...I'm 67 and Jack O'Connor was my favorite gun writer, so my last (humm, humm...) rifle had to be Jack's 270 Mod. 70...

I'm 70. And that would have been a likely choice for me, too, as he was a favorite of mine. But I found a .30-06 pre-'64 FWT, and Jack killed a LOT of game with the '06. smile

But the 7-08 is a most excellent choice to complement his '06's.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 700 Mountain rifle sounds perfect...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
agreed.

8# 14 oz is heavy for a .375, let alone a 7mm-08.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by toad
agreed.

8# 14 oz is heavy for a .375, let alone a 7mm-08.

It's gonna be more like 8 pounds even

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Cool! You'll love the 7-08.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
It's sort of Bittersweet.

I'm trading in a p&r 4 inch Smith 66

And a Franchi O/U that my best friend bought me after I hwlped him get his CDL.

He bought it for me because of the pretty wood it has, but i've never shot it. i love my 20 Gauge O/U, but this one just doesn't do anything for me. So I figure i'll use this rifle alot more and in a way my buddy is getting this for me as well

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
No doubt the 30-06 Sprfld. is an excellent number.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
The BDL was actually discontinued several years ago and brought back in limited numbers and loadings. If I had to have a Remington it would be the CDL.

A 9 lb rifle might not bother you, until you carry a 7 lb rifle. It is not a matter of what you CAN do, but what you CHOOSE to do. I CAN carry a 9-10 lb rifle, but after using some that weigh 6-7.5 lbs have no intention of going back.

Winchester or Kimber all the way for me. If Kimber I'd go short action and I don't think caliber matters all that much. Bullet choices will make more difference than caliber. If Winchester, not the Supergrade. Too heavy, I'd be looking at the Featherweight in any of the standard long or short action calibers.

Of the 3 choices you listed, 300 WSM. I have several rifles in 308 and 30-06. I don't really need a magnum round either, but ran across a killer deal on a SS Classic a few years ago in 300 WSM and have grown to respect the round. It has been a 4 year process, doing a little at a time, but it is finished. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sets and I have $1050 invested in the rifle, optics and Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

I'm not selling my 30-06 rifles, and if I had a 300 WM I liked wouldn't sell it either, but if advising a new shooter today would tell them to forget 30-06 and 300 WM and just get the 300 WSM instead. You get 99% of a 300 WM's performance in a 308 size package with recoil almost exactly the same as hot 30-06 loads. Anyone who can tolerate 30-06 recoil will never notice the difference with 300 WSM,

Good post jmr. I love the rifle too. I'm like you and bought a 300 wsm about 3 years ago. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My current 300 wsm is an FN BACO (2008 Limited edition) and I really like that rifle. It's been a work in progress for me as well: Installed an extreme weather barrel on it, just put it in a Mcmillan swirly and it shoots like a dream..Hard to go wrong with a combination like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have both a winchester in 223 and a 700 bdl in 270
The winchester is a better made rifle , better stock, trigger, finnish. I like 308.....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.