Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
And further choice of
270 or 7mm mag, or 300WSM

Its one of the above choices. Which one?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BP-B6

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wow, not even close for me. The Winchester wins easily.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That's the way i'm leaning. Which caliber would you choose?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well, I have a Featherweight Deluxe in .270 WSM that I love, so I guess It would get my vote. I really like the rifle a lot so if it were chambered in .300 WSM it would not matter to me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gitem_12

30-06 or 300 WM smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

30-06 or 300 WM smile

I really don't need a magnum round. And I have a few 30-06s

The only reason the 300WSM is in contention is because the rifle is 4 punces lighter.

The SuperGrade in .270 with Talleys, and a Leupy 2.5-8. Would come in, with five rounds in the box at 9.5 pounds. Not all that unreasonable

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Super grade for me in .30-06. Of your caliber choices listed .270.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The SuperGrade in .270 with Talleys, and a Leupy 2.5-8.

Perfect.

I would buy nothing new with Remington on it anytime soon. Seems everything new they have produced lately has issues followed by a recall...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

30-06 or 300 WM smile

I really don't need a magnum round. And I have a few 30-06s

The only reason the 300WSM is in contention is because the rifle is 4 punces lighter.

The SuperGrade in .270 with Talleys, and a Leupy 2.5-8. Would come in, with five rounds in the box at 9.5 pounds. Not all that unreasonable

The Poobah will make you smoke a turd in hell if you buy a .270

A 7x57 Featherweight is the shizzle!

I'll never buy another new Remington, and I own several. Winchester SuperGrade in 30-06 would be my choice if you can't find a new old model in 7x57. A 300 WSM would be cool, too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Super grade. No question. Any other time I would say .30-06 because I flat out hate a .270, but it's a Winchester 70 super grade, the rifleman's rifle. Jack's rifle. A .270 just seems right. It's probably the only rifle I would own chambered to the round.

I sure wouldn't worry about weight difference. My super grade is heavy as hell. you mount a scope, throw some rounds in the belly and a nice leather sling it is a big heavy gun. It's no all day walking/ stalking gun to me.

There's a lot to be said for light done right. The older I get, the more places I look to cut weight to make the hunt more enjoyable. With that said, there's a lot to be said for figured walnut and gloss blue. A big heavy gun that when you cycle the bolt you know it's built to last a LONG time.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/07/14.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Supergrade in .30-06. Classic.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Super Grade .270 Winchester.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Super Grade in .30-06 would be bad azz.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just bought a Super Grade.. I am normally a Remington fan.. But this rifle is excellent.. I went with the .300 WSM.. Have a .270 and a couple 06's..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a big 270 fan but if I had the choice in a Super Grade, i'd go with the 7mm-08.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Winchester of course.

I haven't bought a new Remington rifle since 2003 or so, and haven't seen anything that made me reach for my wallet.

As far as weight goes, I have fifteen or so Supergrade rifles and SG stocked rifles. Weight of the stock alone can vary over 8 ounces! So what the catalog or websight claims for weight doesn't mean jack.

Also, Winchester did a limited run of lightweight SuperGrades this year in 7x57mm. Think Supergrade stock but Featherweight barrel profile. They're over priced right now, but if you could find one priced right...

Last edited by McCray; 10/07/14.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by McCray
Winchester of course.

I haven't bought a new Remington rifle since 2003 or so, and haven't seen anything that made me reach for my wallet.

As far as weight goes, I have fifteen or so Supergrade rifles and SG stocked rifles. Weight of the stock alone can vary over 8 ounces! So what the catalog or websight claims for weight doesn't mean jack.

Also, Winchester did a limited run of lightweight SuperGrades this year in 7x57mm. Think Supergrade stock but Featherweight barrel profile. They're over priced right now, but if you could find one priced right...

And they all have cabelas. In big gold letter

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You already have .30-06's, so I would specify a chambering that is not close to the '06's ballistics. Instead I would look for a 6.5x55 or .260 Rem range. In the Super Grade, of course, or something in a pre-'64.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winchester of course.

Much better than having 270 engraved on the barrel wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Winchester of course.

Much better than having 270 engraved on the barrel wink

Blasphemy.

So. All up with 5 rounds in the box, and the Leupy and Talleys a 7/08 would weigh around 8# 14 ounces

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always prefer M70's also, but the supergrade is just too danged heavy. I can tell you from my own experience that buying a rifle that heavy because I was glamoured by the eye candy appeal would result in it becoming a safe queen and not getting hunted. I'd think it wouldn't bother me in the store, but after a few hunts I'd get un-enamored with it. I'd either go for the featherweight or find a NIB featherweight deluxe that they made for a few years. In addition to the weight I wouldn't want the 24" barrels (270 & 300 WSM) or the 26" barrel on the 7mm rem mag. The featherweight versions would come 2" shorter.

I also question why you'd want to put talley lightweights on a supergrade. I like talley's and use several sets of them, but they're pretty much the world's ugliest scope mounts and completely out of place on a fancy rifle like a supergrade. Using them to save a couple ozs. on a 9.5 lb rifle is pointless, it's like taking the bumper off your 1 ton diesel pickup to save fuel. I'd pick something nicer looking like leupold dual dovetails for a rifle like that.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I always prefer M70's also, but the supergrade is just too danged heavy. I can tell you from my own experience that buying a rifle that heavy because I was glamoured by the eye candy appeal would result in it becoming a safe queen and not getting hunted. I'd think it wouldn't bother me in the store, but after a few hunts I'd get un-enamored with it. I'd either go for the featherweight or find a NIB featherweight deluxe that they made for a few years. In addition to the weight I wouldn't want the 24" barrels (270 & 300 WSM) or the 26" barrel on the 7mm rem mag. The featherweight versions would come 2" shorter.

The short action supergrades are 22 inch bbls, but two inches has never bothered me.

I carry close to 20 pounds plus on my belt at work every day, a 9 pound rifle doesn't bother me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

The short action supergrades are 22 inch bbls...

The only short action you had listed is the 300 WSM and it's a 24" barrel. Non magnum short actions get 22".

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535203

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Winchester 70 in 270 Winchester is my suggestion!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

The only short action you had listed is the 300 WSM and it's a 24" barrel. Non magnum short actions get 22".

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535203

Fair enough.

I'm leaning towards the 7-08 in a Supergrade

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Winchester of course.

Cabelas got them first, I believe, but they are out there from other dealers now without the advertising stain.

I want to handle one...with that barrel, they might be as butt heavy as Oprah!

Last edited by McCray; 10/07/14.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy the Remington 700. The model 70 Supergrade is too heavy for me and its a CRF , which I find to be fickle. I also think Talleys are ugly.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Fair enough.

I'm leaning towards the 7-08 in a Supergrade
Dammit,you change your mind almost as quick as I do. eek laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gitem- you do not say where you are or what you are h unting. i have a supergrade in 300 wm . it is a very atractive rifle. it is not light. it shoots great. why a heavy 7-08? the rem cdl might run a close second not a bdl though. 30-06 300 win or 7mm

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'd buy the Remington 700. The model 70 Supergrade is too heavy for me and its a CRF , which I find to be fickle. I also think Talleys are ugly.

You mean the CRFs are peone to jamming?

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a model 70 fan at heart. I'm in Pa and will
Mostky hunt whitetails. I just think the model 70 looks better than the CDL, and all up the 700 won't be that much lighter than the 70

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I say the 70 and in 300 WSM. To be honest, it's because the new ones seem to be very well made and I like 70s. My Classic is respectably made, but I think the new ones are a little better. The synthetic B&C stock is certainly better than mine. I said 300 WSM because I like more recoil and to pay more for ammo. Mine is very accurate with most loads.

ETA: Any of those cartridge choices are good.

Last edited by UncleBigGreen; 10/07/14.

Human rights don't have expiration dates.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

300 WSM......I take it, the first question in the OP was rhetorical or at the very least a no brainer...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you are comparing the super grade to anything Remington, it should be the CDL, not the BDL.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
4 ounces is but one candy bar.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some of these little [bleep] (f uckers) need a lite done right rifle though. To each their own. Pass the 1/4 lb candy bar please..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are selling half pound Reese's butter cups here in Canada holy [bleep]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kimber montana in 30-06!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of the three, 7 Rem Mag...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If the new Sakos are as good as the the pre-Beretta Sakos -I have no reason to think that they aren't- that's the way I'd go. But they're upwards of 2 grand. The most accurate rifle I have fired is a Sako, which is why I just ought another.

Cartridge will depend upon intended big game. The 7MM Rem Mag is the largest cartridge I go with. If you can't kill it with a 7MM Rem Mag, you ain't gonna kill it with a .300 Win Mag.

My recommendation after hunting all over the Rockies would be .280 Rem, then '06, then the 7MM Rem Mag. .270 Win.

I own a 7MM Rem Mag and a .270 Win. I have utmost respect for the '06. It is the greatest cartridge ever designed for all North American big game hunting in terms of efficacy. The .280 Rem is the best cartridge ever invented for all North American big game. The .300 Win mag is a big cartridge, but it won't kill any deader than the 7MM Rem Mag with the latter having edges in distance and penetration due to sectional densities of .284 caliber bullets. Shooting a .300 Win Mag from benches will make you wish you had bought a .280 Rem, which will kill big game just as dead.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gitem,
Get that 7mm-08. It will rapidly become your favorite. And the Super Grade over the Remington. And at least look at an 84M.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Super Grade in 300WSM!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Super grade. And since it's mostly for PA deer hunting, and you say you don't need a magnum, 270 is the obvious choice. Sounds like you have answered your own question.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
John,I just weighed both of my Super Grades,here are the results.

1) .270 Win with a Leupold 3-9x,Burris 2-piece bases & rings. 9lbs 6ozs. 24" barrel

2) .338 Win mag Leupold 2-7x Leupold 2-piece bases & rings. 8lbs 14ozs. 24" barrel

Just for schits and giggles I weighed the FN Mauser .270. It has a Leupold 3-9x Weaver 2-piece bases & rings 9lbs 3ozs. 22" barrel

Putting the SG .270 win to the shoulder,the balance is great,it don't feel like it's almost 9.5lbs.

Take it for what you paid for the info. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The BDL was actually discontinued several years ago and brought back in limited numbers and loadings. If I had to have a Remington it would be the CDL.

A 9 lb rifle might not bother you, until you carry a 7 lb rifle. It is not a matter of what you CAN do, but what you CHOOSE to do. I CAN carry a 9-10 lb rifle, but after using some that weigh 6-7.5 lbs have no intention of going back.

Winchester or Kimber all the way for me. If Kimber I'd go short action and I don't think caliber matters all that much. Bullet choices will make more difference than caliber. If Winchester, not the Supergrade. Too heavy, I'd be looking at the Featherweight in any of the standard long or short action calibers.

Of the 3 choices you listed, 300 WSM. I have several rifles in 308 and 30-06. I don't really need a magnum round either, but ran across a killer deal on a SS Classic a few years ago in 300 WSM and have grown to respect the round. It has been a 4 year process, doing a little at a time, but it is finished. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sets and I have $1050 invested in the rifle, optics and Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

I'm not selling my 30-06 rifles, and if I had a 300 WM I liked wouldn't sell it either, but if advising a new shooter today would tell them to forget 30-06 and 300 WM and just get the 300 WSM instead. You get 99% of a 300 WM's performance in a 308 size package with recoil almost exactly the same as hot 30-06 loads. Anyone who can tolerate 30-06 recoil will never notice the difference with 300 WSM,

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
while the CDL is an atractive rifle it is 300$ less than a super grade. not comparable. the kimber with a french walnut stock is light and good looking and similar price. i would also consider a sako L61r deluxe . not as light as the kimber but still in the same price range.

Last edited by roninflag; 10/08/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Got quoted a price from my delaer of 1,079 on the supergrade. Just tossing around caliber now

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gitem, I'm a 270 fan and do not own a 7/08.

However, I have always deeply admired the 7/08.

I can't see where there is anything the 270 can do that a 7/08 couldn't do also. I bet a 7/08 shooting a 120 tsx would be a deadly combo.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, the supergrade 7-08 was a shot show special, so that's out of the question.

Next problem is my dealer's suppliers are out of stock on all butbthe synthetic stocked Winchesters.

However,he has a CZ 550 in stoxk with a decent price. And he also has a NIb 700 mountain rifle in 280

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=gitem_12

However,he has a CZ 550 in stoxk with a decent price. And he also has a NIb 700 mountain rifle in 280 [/quote]

You'll end up kicking yourself in the ass real hard if you do either of these.

The CZ is a little on the heavy side, and the 700.....well, its a remmy. I'd hold out and get what you want

Shod

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Shodd
[quote=gitem_12

However,he has a CZ 550 in stoxk with a decent price. And he also has a NIb 700 mountain rifle in 280

You'll end up kicking yourself in the ass real hard if you do either of these.

The CZ is a little on the heavy side, and the 700.....well, its a remmy. I'd hold out and get what you want

Shod [/quote]

He's also got a Montana in 270 WSM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife has a Kimber 84M in 7mm-08 and it's a super nice rifle and very light, probably a little over 6lbs all up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Winchesters but those Kimbers are some super nice rifles.

My next hunting rifle will be a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 and used mostly for sheep hunting.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The problem is. There are no local Kimber dealers except big box stores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't you buy one from a dealer in another town/state and have it shipped to your ffl?

Steelhead

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Can't you buy one from a dealer in another town/state and have it shipped to your ffl?

Yea, but why do I wanna pay a higher price when I get guns from my delaer for 50 bicks above his cost

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 270 WSM in a package that lite might be a bit unpleasant to shoot. If I was leaning toward a magnum I think I'd lean more toward a little heavier rifle like a CZ.

I know its different strokes for different folks and what works for one may be entirely different for another. Just throwing out ideas to consider.

Now that Montana in 7/08 would be as close to perfect as it gets for someone like myself.

A 120 tax and I'd be set for a nice mountain excursion where my average shot is not much over 300 yds.

A 162 amax and I'm good for open areas that may require a 600 yds shot.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either scenario for elk sized game.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/08/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Yea, but why do I wanna pay a higher price when I get guns from my delaer for 50 bicks above his cost

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/win...-walnut-stock-blued-finish-p-140346.html

Steelhead

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice, i've got to put a couple in the classifeds and get them sold I guess. Either that or find something local to trade them on

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...why do I wanna pay a higher price when I get guns from my delaer for 50 bicks above his cost

So you can buy something you want, instead of something he has?

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Normally he can order in whatever I want. But his distributors don't have any supergrades available

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My deaker just found one of the 7-08 Supergrades. And gave me a price of 1079.00

I'm gonna go see him tomorrow

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
So,you're gonna settle for the 7/08,thought you had more sense than that. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My deaker just found one of the 7-08 Supergrades. And gave me a price of 1079.00

Nice score! Congrats.

Steelhead

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Super Grade .270 Winchester.

I have possessed several Mod. 70's, pre-64, post-64 and Classics (Feartherweight, Supergrade, Sporter, Varminter aso.) in calibers ranging from 22-250 Rem. up to 375 H&H mag.)

When I learned that the Mod. 70 will in the future be assembled in Portugal, I decided to purchase one of the last "Made in USA" Rifleman's Rifle.

I did'nt like the closing of the New-Heaven plant in the mid 2000's.

In 2010 a 30-06 Sprfld. Model 70 Super-grade made for BACO that I'd purchased new over here showed a major flaw and had to be replaced by Browning Canada.

Nevertheless, last year I purchased a new in the box 270 Win., BACO stamped Mod. 70 in Sporter fashion, with a 24" clean barrel.

I'm 67 and Jack O'Connor was my favorite gun writer, so my last (humm, humm...) rifle had to be Jack's 270 Mod. 70.

That Browning took the decision to stamp "Made in Portugal" on a Mod. 70 is a sad thing. Not that the portuguese workers are incompetent (I'm sure they are not!), but the Mod. 70 is so much emblematic of America that it ought to be made here.

I understand Browning had a hard time to get the rifles made in the US because the plant that was sub-contracting was overbooked with other projects.

Pleased to report that my son, who's a lefty, owns one of the last New-Heaven made 375 H&H left-handed Mod. 70 sold new in the box anywhere.

Maybe even the last one.

We were living in Europe at the time New-Heaven closed, and I managed to purchase the Browning-Winchester (Europe) exibition rifle from their head-office in Belgium.

The rifle was delivered to us sometime in 2006 in the duchy of Luxembourg.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would choose the super grade in 300WM.

The super grade part of the equation is a no brainer so let me explain why 300WM. I've spent years buying most of the popular calibers and then some but one I've never owned is the 300WM and if I were to be honest with myself and the hunting I do, I have concluded at least for me, that it's the best one gun caliber. The answer for you might be entirely different but you have to give the 300 at least an A for versatility. Good luck on whatever you pick.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I would choose the super grade in 300WM.

The super grade part of the equation is a no brainer so let me explain why 300WM. I've spent years buying most of the popular calibers and then some but one I've never owned is the 300WM and if I were to be honest with myself and the hunting I do, I have concluded at least for me, that it's the best one gun caliber. The answer for you might be entirely different but you have to give the 300 at least an A for versatility. Good luck on whatever you pick.

SG pickings were nill, I did find one of the Shot show Special SuperGrade 7mm/08s. It'll be here in a week or so

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmschmitt
...I'm 67 and Jack O'Connor was my favorite gun writer, so my last (humm, humm...) rifle had to be Jack's 270 Mod. 70...

I'm 70. And that would have been a likely choice for me, too, as he was a favorite of mine. But I found a .30-06 pre-'64 FWT, and Jack killed a LOT of game with the '06. smile

But the 7-08 is a most excellent choice to complement his '06's.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 700 Mountain rifle sounds perfect...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
agreed.

8# 14 oz is heavy for a .375, let alone a 7mm-08.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by toad
agreed.

8# 14 oz is heavy for a .375, let alone a 7mm-08.

It's gonna be more like 8 pounds even

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Cool! You'll love the 7-08.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
It's sort of Bittersweet.

I'm trading in a p&r 4 inch Smith 66

And a Franchi O/U that my best friend bought me after I hwlped him get his CDL.

He bought it for me because of the pretty wood it has, but i've never shot it. i love my 20 Gauge O/U, but this one just doesn't do anything for me. So I figure i'll use this rifle alot more and in a way my buddy is getting this for me as well

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
No doubt the 30-06 Sprfld. is an excellent number.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
The BDL was actually discontinued several years ago and brought back in limited numbers and loadings. If I had to have a Remington it would be the CDL.

A 9 lb rifle might not bother you, until you carry a 7 lb rifle. It is not a matter of what you CAN do, but what you CHOOSE to do. I CAN carry a 9-10 lb rifle, but after using some that weigh 6-7.5 lbs have no intention of going back.

Winchester or Kimber all the way for me. If Kimber I'd go short action and I don't think caliber matters all that much. Bullet choices will make more difference than caliber. If Winchester, not the Supergrade. Too heavy, I'd be looking at the Featherweight in any of the standard long or short action calibers.

Of the 3 choices you listed, 300 WSM. I have several rifles in 308 and 30-06. I don't really need a magnum round either, but ran across a killer deal on a SS Classic a few years ago in 300 WSM and have grown to respect the round. It has been a 4 year process, doing a little at a time, but it is finished. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sets and I have $1050 invested in the rifle, optics and Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

I'm not selling my 30-06 rifles, and if I had a 300 WM I liked wouldn't sell it either, but if advising a new shooter today would tell them to forget 30-06 and 300 WM and just get the 300 WSM instead. You get 99% of a 300 WM's performance in a 308 size package with recoil almost exactly the same as hot 30-06 loads. Anyone who can tolerate 30-06 recoil will never notice the difference with 300 WSM,

Good post jmr. I love the rifle too. I'm like you and bought a 300 wsm about 3 years ago. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My current 300 wsm is an FN BACO (2008 Limited edition) and I really like that rifle. It's been a work in progress for me as well: Installed an extreme weather barrel on it, just put it in a Mcmillan swirly and it shoots like a dream..Hard to go wrong with a combination like that..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have both a winchester in 223 and a 700 bdl in 270
The winchester is a better made rifle , better stock, trigger, finnish. I like 308.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
733 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.