Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just got done guiding two elk hunts here in Wyoming. These two hunts were with different outfitters with quite a bit of difference in potential. One is a pack in wall tent type camp south of Yellowstone. The other is on the ranch I live on.

Here's my hunters bull from the pack in hunt. Bull had 10-12 cows and 3 other bulls running around bugling. We didn't even call, just moved towards all the racket. Finally the cows started moving through a meadow and then I did cow call to stop this bull. Shot was about 200 yards browning blr 30/06 165 NAB.
[Linked Image]

I don't like to wait until the next day to get the bull out but circumstances made us. My hunter snapped this picture on one of the switchbacks.
[Linked Image]

We found this varmint on the ribcage. I had moved the meat and horns a ways off. But he had carried the horns back up to the ribcage.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We asked him to leave and he was pretty good about it. Bull loaded on the mules.
[Linked Image]

Then I guided an older guy here on the ranch. We hunted the high country horse back some but his knees were having a hard time so we went down to some lower country and used the buggy to get around. He ended up shooting this bull at 404 yards, Blaser 300 RUM tipped Barnes. We happened to be watching the right spot at the right time and watched him come around the hill with 30-40 cows and several other bulls. I had my pup Ruby on her first elk hunt.
[Linked Image]

When I got done taking care of the bull it was close to dark and a little ways from where we could get the buggy so once again we had to come back the next day. 4 of us plus my son went back with backpacks. We usually use mules here too, but it would have taken all day to ride back in there for a very short pack out to the buggys.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/brstam/imagejpg2_zpsf2b922f0.jpg[/img]

And there had been a bear here too. He had eaten one entire rear quarter and the back straps and tenders that I had so nicely cut out for him. While we were loading the remaining pieces up we saw him circling us for just a couple seconds.

Back to the buggy
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/brstam/imagejpg8_zps330c048c.jpg[/img]

GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice..Congrats to all.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Good times... thanks for sharing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanna go with you.
Outstanding stuff and great pics.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice work. sounds like yall need a bear tag or three!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great photos, nice bulls!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent - good work.
Great picts too, thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job! Thanks for sharing, love threads like this.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great bulls and greedy bears make for an interesting set of memories. I used a pair of solar powered driveway markers, set on flash to keep a bear out of camp. They are five inches long, about 1 1/2 in diameter and weight a couple of ounces.
They worked but it only was sample set of one. This area and camp has been consistently hit in years past with bears. Could be at least tried if forced to leave elk meat out overnight in bear country. The rancher thought it had promise and was going to use the idea in the future.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ralphie, are you guiding by two ocean area, hunted there in sept pretty thick
With grizz, we had 7 dogs in camp and were up part of every night.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very nice, Ralphie. Thanks for sharing.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
That's awesome!! Love the packing pics! Guides get a bad rap a lot of the time but it's guys like you, Drummond, Ravenr, and Scenar that are making dreams come true!!!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Terrific photos, Ralphie.

High Adventure. Love it.

Continued success and safety to you all out there.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice pics!
I don't like to do it but I've had to leave meat in the field overnight many times. So far, I've never had a varmint get to it. Pure luck. Hanging meat 10' in the air is a trick recommended by someone who's never tried it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, awesome photos Ralphie. What a year!

Tanner

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
That's awesome!! Love the packing pics! Guides get a bad rap a lot of the time but it's guys like you, Drummond, Ravenr, and Scenar that are making dreams come true!!!

Thinking you should be on that list.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you offering hunts into the future?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Great pictures and a couple of very nice bulls! Thanks for sharing the fun.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
Are you offering hunts into the future?

Yes, shoot me a pm, we can talk.

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Great bulls and greedy bears make for an interesting set of memories. I used a pair of solar powered driveway markers, set on flash to keep a bear out of camp. They are five inches long, about 1 1/2 in diameter and weight a couple of ounces.
They worked but it only was sample set of one. This area and camp has been consistently hit in years past with bears. Could be at least tried if forced to leave elk meat out overnight in bear country. The rancher thought it had promise and was going to use the idea in the future.

We actually use strobe lights like that in camp too. Especially in our summer camps. We've had pretty good luck with them. In hunting camp we have solar lights set up that stay on all night.

I've never tried either with an elk carcass out overnight. The strobes might be ok to carry.

On that first elk the dang gray jays were on it before we even started taking pictures. I figured we were going to have a bear on it.

Last edited by Ralphie; 10/10/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

562 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.