Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9239986 10/08/14
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
posted 09 October 2014 03:36 Hide Post

A couple of news stories from both one of the professor's who first discovered the virus in 1976 as well as a USA Today article. Both are informative if not terribly encouraging.

http://www.theguardian.com/wor...-peter-piot-outbreak

http://www.usatoday.com/story/...tion-ebola/16076067/

I hope like all of us that they snuff this out in the next three months, but we should neither panic nor put our heads in the sand. If I had a hunt scheduled in East Africa I would definitely go, West Africa no way, but that's just me.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Couldn't open either link.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks Dirtfarmer, Sorry about that maybe this link will work for the second one.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/09/22/world-health-organization-ebola/16076067/

Last edited by colorado; 10/08/14.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All this, and not a single case of Ebola in South Africa or any one of its immediate neighboring countries.

Gentleman,
Here is a different perspective, between you fellas in the USA, and me here in South Africa?
Who is the safest from this virus between you and me? Is it you as a hunter coming to South Africa, where there is not a single case, or is it me as an outfitter living in South Africa, and having to come to the outdoor shows hosted by a country where Ebola cases have been identified?

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 10/08/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
hopefully muslim terrorists wo'nt use these vector but looking at terroist history i think i'm only being optimistic. cranky72

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
All this, and not a single case of Ebola in South Africa or any one of its immediate neighboring countries.

You forgot one key word............yet!

With globalization and the rapidity of air travel, ebola will spread....just as rats spread the black death from port to port in Europe back in the middle ages. It will eventually be in every spot in the world.
Our (the U.S.A.) "wake up call" should have been 15-20 years ago when west nile virus was found on these shores.....brought, IIRC, from north east Africa or one of the middle eastern countries. We lost a few people, mostly the infirm elderly, but not enough to make it "news worthy" for more than a week or two......then we moved on to what the Kardashians were doing. If people were dropping like the crows in my neighborhood, maybe it might have been a different story.
It is impossible to prevent it (ebola) spreading from country to country.....you can ban people coming here from Liberia, Sierra Leone, etc, but then what? What about the infected individual who flies to Brussels, Frankfort, London, Johannesburg, etc, and then to the U.S.A? Are you going to ban ALL international travel? Are you going to quarantine every individual that comes into this country from Africa? In a word.....No; it's physically and economically impossible. Scan out people because of thermal imagery? Again, almost next to impossible....you cannot detain people under suspicion of being sick; we allow people to sign out of the hospital AMA (against medical advice) all the time, many of which have communicable diseases, such as T.B.....
This will run it's course, as all outbreaks do....people will become aware, seek treatment, etc, and the news folks will again move on to what the Kardashians are up to.
Will it keep me from going to South Africa (even when a case of ebola turns up there)? Hell no, just like terrorists threats won't keep me from visiting Europe.
As an American, I am more concerned about what diseases the masses of illegal immigrants are bringing across our southern border, and that crap is pretty much sanctioned by the current political administration! I'd worry more about terrorism from that standpoint as well.....but apparently nobody in the government wants to listen OR care (i.e. never let a good crisis go to waste).
Still looking forward to me next hunting trip to S.A., inspite of all the current hubub.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, diseases like TB, Typhoid, etc., dealt with years back here in the U.S., may be seen again as Third World unwashed masses continue to flow over our open borders.

Bio-terrorism is a real concern. Anyone who would wear and detonate a bomb vest wouldn't hesitate to come here infected with a deadly disease. I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of Ebola on U.S. soil, whether by design or by chance. The result is the same, either way.

DF

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
@crank72 & Dirtfarmer: You guys hit the nail right on the head. When you consider our lack of border security and the 21 day incubation period for the virus, just imagine how many jihad bio-terrorists could slip in? They don't have to blow themselves up or hack-a-head for Allah .... All they need to do is ride the subway or visit a few shopping malls.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Deleted.

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/09/14.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's an interesting view on the Ebola mess.

http://godfatherpolitics.com/17578/ebola-cure-illegal-immigration/

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I heard about that report yesterday. Even more scary! If things spiral out of control, it could lead to SHTF time.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, closing the borders may be good.

If it gets so bad that FEMA/CDC start talking martial law, not so good...

Hopefully, they won't get that chance.

The dems are always talking about "not wasting a crisis"...

DF

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

Gentleman,
Here is a different perspective, between you fellas in the USA, and me here in South Africa?
Who is the safest from this virus between you and me? Is it you as a hunter coming to South Africa, where there is not a single case, or is it me as an outfitter living in South Africa, and having to come to the outdoor shows hosted by a country where Ebola cases have been identified?

I hope your area stays Ebola free My man but I wouldn't count on it...........Good luck to everyone in Africa............Hb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Gentleman,

You don't HAVE to come to the US.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There is a report that a British man in Macedonia just died of Ebola-like symptoms. He died 2 hours after being admitted to the hospital. He was vomiting, had a fever, and was bleeding internally. He was never in West Africa and had travelled to Macedonia directly from the UK. The exact cause of his death is now being investigated. If it turns out to be caused by the virus, it is a disturbing sign.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Gentleman,

Hi, no one here I believe said there was Ebola in RSA. You may well be safer there than in the U.S right now. If the CDC and the WHO don't get on top of this soon, it will be out of control. It's a shame they didn't jump on it sooner. We hunters and outfitters should stick together ...

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still believe the media is blowing this out of proportion.

Educate yourself:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/30/health/how-ebola-spreads/

Originally Posted by rost495

Gentleman,

Sir, I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 10/10/14.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, you guys already have ewicketkeeper and ebatsman, why not ebola? crazy laugh

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I still believe the media is blowing this out of proportion.

Educate yourself:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/30/health/how-ebola-spreads/

Originally Posted by rost495

Gentleman,

Sir, I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Marius, sent you a PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.