-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Ruger 77/17. Cant get a good group out of it. Tried many different brands of ammo. A friend of mine says the same thing about his. Had a HB Savage years ago that was a tack driver but the action was terrible. I am looking at the CZ 455 varmint HB & the savage 93r17BVSS HB. Any input on which one to get?
Thanks
Reno

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
two ideas ... did you shim the bolt? If that doesn't work and I'd be surprised if it doesn't ... a 17HMR barrel from Shilen is a lot less than a new CZ.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got a used and abused 77/17 a couple years back that wouldn't shoot. Part of the problem was an extremely fouled barrel took a couple hours with sweets to fix that part. I also installed a metal pillar and then floated the barrel. It shoots a lot better now but my ruger american still out shoots it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't have much experience with the Savage .17 HMR's, but the CZ's and Ruger Americans I've seen have all been VERY accurate.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice from all above.
The heavy bbl Marlins used to be very accurate too.
If buying one I'd go with the CZ 455 if you can live with the backwards safety.
The Savage will be accurate, but plumbers butt crack ugly..... sick

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ruger Americans

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a 77/22 mag that left a lot to be desired in the accuracy dept. A heavy fluted Green Mtn 17hmr barrel cured that. The 17 grn bullets weren't very accurate but the 20 grainers could often post a five round hundred yard group that could be covered with a dime, and best as I remember now, always a quarter.

With my nephews Marlin (I don't know which model it is but it has a sporter barrel) it is no problem busting left over remnants of clay birds at 200 yards.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just looked at their site for the first time in a couple years. Is Green Mtn. not offering 77/22 barrels anymore? The only one I saw listed was for a 77/17hm2.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I believe Ruger changed the 77/xx design to a threaded barrel rather than the clamp type setup similar to the 10/22 that they originally used. Changing barrels isn't just a matter of a couple allen screws anymore. That's probably why the market has dried up for replacement barrels.

So far as accuracy, my 77/17 "varmint/target" model shoots every load I've tried into 3/4 of an inch or better at 100 yards .. and all to the same point of aim, no sight changes when changing loads, even between 17 and 20 grain bullets, so I just load and shoot, it doesn't matter what I feed it.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one of the Savage heavy barrels with a hardwood stock. It shoots ridiculously tiny groups. But, it's so ugly I have trouble looking at it! The gun wasn't my choice. If I was choosing, I would choose differently just for looks!

FYI, the trigger was pretty horrible when new. But, an old gunsmith worked magic on it for $20.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My 77/17 has shot well from day one.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My 77/17 also shoots very well with no modifications, I have heard some of the horror stories so maybe I am just lucky.
If I was looking to spend a little less money I would think hard about a Ruger American. I bought my son a 22lr version and I am very impressed by it's function and accuracy for an economical rifle. It shot very well out of the box and the metal workmanship is impressive for a rifle at this price point. It probably isn't a significant issue to most folks but the side bolt release is a really nice touch.
When I came across my 77/17 I was all set to order a CZ455. They come highly recommended but I do like the 77's magazine system and safety much better-just a personal choice.
I know the Savages have a good reputation for accuracy I just can't get used to their appearance.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If I was going to do it over I would get the Ruger American Rimfire version.
I have a CZ 452 American and the usual issues of high bolt throw needing higher than I want scope rings, creepy trigger and mags that hang down. But it can shoot.
A yo-dave trigger kit is probably the best improvement per $ that you can make on a CZ rimfire. I really like the trigger now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T_O_M: Your experience with the Ruger 77/17 V/T is quite similar to mine and all my several friends who own these heavy barrel Ruger 17 HMR's!
My first range trip with my 77/17 V/T back in 2,003 produced TWO 5 shot groups at 100 yards well under 1"!
And with a rimfire my friends THAT is saying something.
Those five shot groups measured .831" and .721"!
It only got better.
On my next range testing I got two groups (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring .646 and .502"!
I have a Weaver V-16 scope (4 to 16 power variable) on my Ruger and I am extremely pleased with the accuracy I get.
My friends with this model Rifle also get excellent and consistent accuracy with their heavy barrel 77/17's.
I am not sure if the original poster has the sporter 77 or the heavy barrel model?
If he has the sporter then I suggest he try the heavy barrel with the great stock and he will retain the wonderful rotary magazine system by staying with the Ruger.
Best of luck to the original poster in his search for the proper 17 HMR.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Savage HB and it is ridiculously accurate. I bought this with the factory synthetic stock and hated it, to the point I was going to sell it.

I put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock on it and it went from my most hated rifle to my favorite.

I am very curious about the RAR in 17HMR, to the point that my son might be getting one for Christmas this year, so I can try it out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,567
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.