Print Thread
Hop To
L
looper Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I caught an episode of Heartland Bowhunter this evening, and some kid named Tyler was hunting in Arizona. In one scene they showed him drawing on a bull through some timber. It was clear in the picture that the bull had an arrow hanging out from his neck. The entry point was up behind his ear, on the back of his neck. It didn't appear the the arrow matched the ones Tyler was using, but it did look like it had a luminock on it, and it was still lit.

I'm kind of surprised they used that bit of footage. Did anyone catch if they mentioned that? I didn't see the first part of the episode.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how much gutshot footage gets burned?

Not just this show, but all of them.

I'm guessing plenty...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh heck yeah. If folks can completely miss game with a scoped rifle, they can gutshoot with a rifle just as easily. And if you can do it with a rifle, you can do it with anything, arrow included.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hunted on a ranch this past week where one of the BIG shows had just finished videoing some rut action bow hunting. The #1 guide there, who has been a dear friend for 20+ years told me "I now have six damn bulls walking around with f'in arrows in em". He was disgusted.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Hunted on a ranch this past week where one of the BIG shows had just finished videoing some rut action bow hunting. The #1 guide there, who has been a dear friend for 20+ years told me "I now have six damn bulls walking around with f'in arrows in em". He was disgusted.

Wonder how much of that footage is going to make it to the show?

Prolly been deleted or burned already.

These guys and gals ain't any better at this than we are and they may not even be as good.

We all know... wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The problem with arrows is they are visual. There are many animals knicked with a bullet and you don't see it or the results.

But an arrow you do.

The fact that he has 6 walking around with arrows in them says all are non lethal shots. Unless that quote was not what it meant.

Takes a much more vital shot with an arrow to kill than a bullet since a bullet generally fragments and tosses secondary fragments around. So you have to be even better than a gun hunter.

I've been amazed at hits that can kill with a rifle that would be a flesh wound and no worse for wear with an arrow.

I do feel that shows and some authors are to blame for taking what I feel are not responsible shots these days with bows. Just to shoot or just to film.

I've been laughed at before, because I limit my whitetail shots to 15 yards. But I can promise you at 15 yards or less, my recovery rate is 100% with a bow. Yes 100%.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you needed to kill deer and elk to feed ur kids, pay your mortgage and truck payment, you'd be whipping more arrows than the Sioux shot at Custer.

wink

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Also been told more than once by guides that the "long range" show has its share of edited video as well. No...they don't hit everything they shoot at and don't kill everything they hit.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57

I'd put as much blame on the guides and ranch manager for allowing it.

Eta; assuming it's one or two hunters.

Last edited by SLM; 10/08/14.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How do you blame the guides on an archery hunt? The guides are back 100 yds calling. The decission to shoot falls on the hunter. I am sure the ranch likes the business, but it would be tempting to implement an extra trophy fee for wounded game or draw blood and you done rule.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not blaming the guide for the bad shots, that's all on the hunter. If a guide/guides keep putting the hunter on different bulls, he has some culpability.

I agree though, it's economics.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
it was economics when I begged the ranch owners to require a certain accuracy when we checked hunters zero's ... to hunt a big field that was about 300x600 yards... but it often had 300 plus deer in it... everyone wanted to hunt it... but I had to follow up to many wounded rifle shot deer off that field that it aggravated me to no end.

The owners would not follow anything but their wallets and while it was fun and paid well, I walked away from guiding at that point.

When money rules you have lost....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 99guy
If you needed to kill deer and elk to feed ur kids, pay your mortgage and truck payment, you'd be whipping more arrows than the Sioux shot at Custer.

This.

I don't despise hunting shows like many here do. But I do take them for what they're worth - entertainment. (unless it's Randy's show, then I'm actually engaged in it and pulling for him)

Far too many pi$$ poor shots taken - and pi$$ poor archers deemed "OK" because the __________ (insert mechanical broadhead name here) will do its job..............until it doesn't.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Watched one of those hunting shows one time and the guide got the client one a pretty good bull. Client was using his pack as a rest in the prone position, it was getting close to dark and the music was building and they show the killing shot and everyone is cheering the guy for a long one shot kill. It is now getting dark and the camera pans back and there laying under the gun shining in the camera light are 4 more empty cases. So much for the one long shot kill. I realize that it is a tv show, but give me a break. That is why I will not watch those shows any more.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SKane

This.

I don't despise hunting shows like many here do. But I do take them for what they're worth - entertainment. (unless it's Randy's show, then I'm actually engaged in it and pulling for him)

Far too many pi$$ poor shots taken - and pi$$ poor archers deemed "OK" because the __________ (insert mechanical broadhead name here) will do its job..............until it doesn't.

I don't either but my personal entertainment is laughing at the freaking idiots who get to have their own show because of their connections and not because they are a good hunter...grin...

This is not a blanket statement of course. I've got good friends who have their own show...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

wink

I doubt if many of them are strapped for cash. Most of them strike me as trust fund babies, which is the only way they got a show in the first place.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by bellydeep

wink

I doubt if many of them are strapped for cash. Most of them strike me as trust fund babies, which is the only way they got a show in the first place.
;

I've thought the same thing about several of the shows.

Last edited by zeke612; 10/09/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.