Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Tell us what you like best in your home state.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Goats, closely followed by deer.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For me it's deer, moose okay, but still too warm for that much work, plus the bugs, does fill the freezer though keeps wife happy. Can hunt deer 5 months of the year, excellant eating, limit is 5 per year, just plain fun!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what I've hunted the most is moose,

what I've enjoyed/ cursed the misery of doing so most is Dalls Sheep

and while I've not hunted them for myself personally, I always enjoyed hunting bears for clients or friends. Just no other thrill like hunting another predator

truthfully I'd rather have a freezer full of moose than sheep though I and my family really enjoy sheep meat, and thanks to docdb we had a meal of it not too long ago.

but I need to start doing some deer hunting. it's time

also need to start doing some wolf hunting, though it's a pretty tough gig.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sitka Blacktails for me. 5 tags, very long season, multiple ways to hunt them, and great eating.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
SHEEP! But, any hunting is good hunting.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't know if I have a favorite but I enjoy hunting caribou for the shear number of animals. Not that I want to shoot my limit of 5, me and the Mrs would likely be sick of eating them by the time we got through 5, but that I'm always amazed by the wonders of mass migration. And the opportunity to cherry pick big bulls, if you're in the right place you will have ample opportunities to get a trophy specimen. We saw about 3500-4000 head on our hunt this fall and had great time looking all the bulls over trying to decide which ones we wanted.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Moose, caribou... When you see a big bull moose it's 5 minutes of pure excitement. Caribou same thing thekid said.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Moose, caribou... When you see a big bull moose it's 5 minutes of pure excitement. Caribou same thing thekid said.

And then? What comes then? Hours of agony.

wink

I want to be miserable for days, so its got to be Sheep.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ptarmigan, off snowshoes. Tracking a flock a couple of miles in fresh snow is the best. More action than moose and less work.

Last edited by pak; 10/11/14.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by 79S

And then? What comes then? Hours of agony.

wink

I want to be miserable for days, so its got to be Sheep.
cry

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff guys keep it coming!

Wondering if your location dictates or you all pretty much travel to the game regardless. Alaske being its own country figure everybody travels some.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You looking for a challenging hunt or a meat hunt? I rather get meats VS the chase or the trophy animals.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I live in Anchorage,(unfortunately), and travel all over the state to hunt. This year alone I hunted bears on Admiralty island in SE, caribou 60 miles south of the artic ocean, moose in the copper basin, and am headed to Afognak next week to deer hunt. I've also hunted the AK peninsula, PWS, and various areas of the interior. I figure that I don't have any kids yet and I moved here to hunt, so I go hunt as often and as varied as I can.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by BCJR
SHEEP! But, any hunting is good hunting.

OH yeah! Beyond sheep, I can't make up my mind.--Alpine hunting of any kind - goats, caribou, moose is way up there. Poking thru the weeds for moose has become a favorite also- possibly thru evil necessity of time, locality, and $....

If the Gods favor, the sea ice will be thick enough for the caribou migration to cross over onto the Baldwin Peninsula in a couple-4 weeks. It's running slush ice now. Hopefully there will be some snow cover for the snow machine by then. Rolling tundra hills with willow lines/patches is good!

Meanwhile, Tripper Lab's surgery should be healed up lick free enough by Monday I think, so I'm going out looking for Baldwin strays mid-week on the ATV. The tundra is frozen enough to past "bogging", anyway.

It's all good - and I'm down to fish and chicken in the freezer.

It ain't the species hunted so much as the country?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think you hit it on the head, even though I"m not Alaskan... its not the species hunted or fished... its the country!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sheep for me. I think it has something to do with those corkscrew horns on their heads.

The best part of Alaska is the variety though... there is just so much to kill!

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
I also like the Bou just because you see so many and for their size they usually carry large antlers. They are good eating unless it's a winter hunt bull yuck!! I also like moose because they are giant but a lot of work to skin and quarter those beasts.

Last edited by YotaTRD4x4; 10/11/14.

ACS
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scouttracker
You looking for a challenging hunt or a meat hunt? I rather get meats VS the chase or the trophy animals.

Not for me just curious about the locals.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Sitka Blacktails for me. 5 tags, very long season, multiple ways to hunt them, and great eating.

That.

You can call them in all crazy and orange horned, run the beaches or flame them high up and 200 yards from a mountain goat.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.