Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2

The best part of Alaska is the variety though... there is just so much to kill!

Yep. Looking forward to the kids getting out of diapers and being able to get back up your direction for some variety.

BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- to cover a couple of the above posts:

Here in Kotzebue i am a "subsistence" hunter. 5 caribou per day (cuz that's all you can get on a regular basket or newer poly-sheet sled - if you have a big one. I can get only 3 on my POS folding sled. smile Which doesn't mean I can't go back for the extras, like last year. 5 'bou in less than 30 seconds. Two runs for retrieval. Short hunting season...

As to the "winter yuck bull" - just don't shoot them in October... Those 5 above were taken November 11, all bulls, 3 of them having already lost their antlers. Below is the largest.

[Linked Image]

And one of the "antlerless" bulls from second retrieval, kitchen skinned and butchered (my wife was SO happy! smile )

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I hate my local provider ("we walk electrons up one at a time at gunpoint" ) and photobucket. Everything else is random.... smile

Try this for second pic:

[Linked Image]

All 5 bulls ate good. fatless, but tasty and tender enough...

Last edited by las; 10/12/14.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice Las. Love the kitchen skinning area

Reminds me of the time when I was a single fella, that I answered the door of my Spenard apt midway through the butchering set of deer quarters I had dragged up to my second floor home. Thinking it was a bud who lived next door I had promised a steak or two I answered the door complete with bloody horror movie meatcutter's apron and 12" filet knife. Imagine the mutual surprise when it was the cute neighbor chick who'd just moved in down the hall and needed to borrow a screwdriver. Poor girl was speachless for a half minute or so!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dontcha love living in Alaska?

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I do at that Sir. Not that I may or may not have had deer and elk quarters hanging from the porch on my rented Bungalow house during my college days more than once back in OK.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I hate my local provider ("we walk electrons up one at a time at gunpoint" ) and photobucket. Everything else is random.... smile

Try this for second pic:

[Linked Image]

All 5 bulls ate good. fatless, but tasty and tender enough...

Ha! He looks so natural! oh wait it's not a viewing...

I was hoping some pics would show up! Steelie, orange antlered bucks are nice to look at too!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bull from last fall
[Linked Image]
Wife's kodiak forkie from last Thanksgiving
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Though I love being in the sheep mountains and hunting rams, I enjoy hunting rut crazed big bull moose just as much. Sheep are better table fare but nothing can fill a freezer or fill up wall space faster than a big bull moose.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been pretty fortunate to hunt and kill most of the species up here in some neat places. I really like hunting sheep followed closely by big caribou bulls in the alpine. I think I like hunting the mountains more than the game that lives there. Something about it soothes my sole.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TheKid
Nice Las. Love the kitchen skinning area

Reminds me of the time when I was a single fella, that I answered the door of my Spenard apt midway through the butchering set of deer quarters I had dragged up to my second floor home. Thinking it was a bud who lived next door I had promised a steak or two I answered the door complete with bloody horror movie meatcutter's apron and 12" filet knife. Imagine the mutual surprise when it was the cute neighbor chick who'd just moved in down the hall and needed to borrow a screwdriver. Poor girl was speachless for a half minute or so!

I can completely relate to that, been caught like that too!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It's hard to answer this question. The big critters all have their lure. Love the moose. There is nothing like having a huge moose come in, nothing. They fill the freezer up quickly too!

My first elk hunt was this year. I have to say I like the elk meat better. Elk are just so darned fast and elusive compared to moose. Moose get dumb when they're in rut, I hunted the elk and they were all about escape. It was so much more challenging.

I absolutely love helping out the moose by harvesting the grizzlies when I can. The rugs are nice too!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting, having had elk quite a bit and moose a fair amount, we'll take moose meat hands down over elk any day.

Though I often wonder when its cases like that, can it be related to changes in diet at times?

Thought sitka blacktail was good, but not as great as many made it out to be.

Of course our tastes are all different too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Spot-and-stalk Black Bear (or Grizzly when the opportunity arises). Great county to hunt and lots of opportunity where I live, and great eating (Black Bears).

Maybe Sitka Blacktail if I lived in an area that had them.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Las,

That's good to know on the Bou. I killed one 2 years ago in October and it was not good when it hit the table for sure. My last few were late Aug Bulls that were just fine and a smaller cow this year as I just wanted meat for the freezer. I'm glad to have learned this til on the Bou as I probably wouldn't hunt anymore come winter but may have to give it another go later this year.

ACS
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I choose bou. Moose is a thrill but the work involved to pack a moose very far makes the experience less and less each tim. Bou can be packed out in 2-3 loads and the abundance in NW AK makes it lots of fun. Unit 13 is getting better as well. The real cool thing with caribou is no 2 racks are the same and when you compare racks from the Mulchatna days, to WACH to Nelchina they are all so different. Very cool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.