Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactamundo!
I have killed scores of whitetails, but none from a stand or a blind. Terrain, vegetation, etc all play a role in how we play our roles, as it were.
And cultural attitudes are vastly different. In many parts of the east turkeys are viewed with iconic adulation as one of the greatest game animals ever.For many like myself turkeys are viewed as nothing more than white meat on the hoof, a welcome change of diet.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I live in West Virginia,and that's the way I feel about them too.I don't fool with them in the fall,but in the spring when there's nothing else to hunt ,I occasionally walk up on the flats,and see If I can see a gobbler out in the fields somewhere,and if not I usually just come back.I don't waist much time on them.I personally just don't consider them to be worth much more effort than that. I really don't even consider that tannish looking breast meat great quality white meat.I just get the urge to hunt between the cold seasons,and so I kill an occasional turkey in the spring,or ground hog in summer.I give most to an old man up the road,but I eat one occasionally.My wife,and daughter think it's disgusting,but I know what a groundhog eats,and I feel they are a pretty clean animal.An old man that used to come up here to hunt with my Uncle from North Carolina when I was a kid used to talk about eating possum when he was a kid.He said they would catch them,and feed them corn for a while to clean them out.I personally think I would rather eat a carp than a possum..I sure hope I never have to find out though..LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll pass on the possum too but I REALLY like turkey. It of course has no fat like tame birds so I bone it out and bake it covered with some kind of sauce...a mushroom sherry is my fave. Makes it good vittles!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I always skin them,and the wife cuts them up,and cooks them in the slow cooker.I was told that you can poke holes in the breast,and stick bacon in the holes and bake them without getting too dry,but I aint tried it.You would probably have to pluck it though,and I don't think I'd have the patience to pluck one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to hunt spring turkeys more than eating them. The breast gets cross sliced and fried, quite good. Everything else is soup. About eating carp.i have tried... really. Sucked but when you look at all that meat you have to try. Possum, well i know Im a puss but I know what they eat and they seam like a disease receptacle. I know about shrimp and crabs but possum seems different.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I suppose armadillo ( aka " Possum on the half-shell" ) is out of the question... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dillers won't cook up. I try to shoot them with something that will "lift the shell". Bad stink. sick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no dillers i dont like the idea of leprosy. used to drive truck down south a lot. Never seen one alive, but they are everywhere as road pizza.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do states that allow rifles for turkeys have a higher incidence of safety problems?

I actually think that shotguns get more people hurt than allowing guys to hunt with rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont know about shooting numbers. A shotgun is much less lethal at any distance. We have had people take direct hits with shotguns by"mistake" and not be too badly hurt. On second thought i cant remember anyone being rifle shot in the fall turkey season, but it could also be a visibility thing.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think terrain and vegetation would influence safety percentages considerably.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
no dillers i dont like the idea of leprosy. used to drive truck down south a lot. Never seen one alive, but they are everywhere as road pizza.

Road Pizza, too funny.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 4ager
in the late eighties early ninetys we had several scary years with people getting shot in the spring, shotguns, never understood how so many got shot when you have to see a beard. the state started making us wear orange when moving and put a band on nearby tree. it seems to be better but most people dont do it

Having hunted PA and hunted around PA hunters in other states, I can understand how that level of dumbphuckitude happens up there. No amount of orange can fix the stupid that afflicts many of those hunters.

This comment is nothing short of ignorant. There are unethical and immoral "slob" hunters all over the country. To say that "many" PA hunters are too stupid to follow the rules and comply with safety concerns merely shows your own foolish ignorance. Have you hunted in every state in country? How a person could make such a classless statement about a group of fellow hunters, I suppose I'll never understand. As for me, a "stupid" Pennsylvanian sportsman, I've never hunted turkey with a rifle. I've only ever used shotguns. However, I feel that the option of using a rifle is interesting enough to possibly give it a try this year. I have a nice lightweight BRNO single shot in 22 Hornet that just may do the trick.

As to 4ager, if you do not like Pennsylvania and her outdoorsman, well, there's 49 other states for you to choose from. Adios!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didnt want to get in the mud with him. We have a lot of less than perfect hunters around here, been guilty myself once or twice. But like i say about kids and parents "people that say my kids are good and wouldnt do that, probably are the ones that are wrong.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I reckon you could use the old pine board carp recipe on possum,or armadillo too...Salt,and pepper them,and bake them on a pine board in a hot oven for an hour.Remove from the oven,and let cool..Throw the carp,or possum away,and eat the board.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
Originally Posted by 4ager
in the late eighties early ninetys we had several scary years with people getting shot in the spring, shotguns, never understood how so many got shot when you have to see a beard. the state started making us wear orange when moving and put a band on nearby tree. it seems to be better but most people dont do it

Having hunted PA and hunted around PA hunters in other states, I can understand how that level of dumbphuckitude happens up there. No amount of orange can fix the stupid that afflicts many of those hunters.

This comment is nothing short of ignorant. There are unethical and immoral "slob" hunters all over the country. To say that "many" PA hunters are too stupid to follow the rules and comply with safety concerns merely shows your own foolish ignorance. Have you hunted in every state in country? How a person could make such a classless statement about a group of fellow hunters, I suppose I'll never understand. As for me, a "stupid" Pennsylvanian sportsman, I've never hunted turkey with a rifle. I've only ever used shotguns. However, I feel that the option of using a rifle is interesting enough to possibly give it a try this year. I have a nice lightweight BRNO single shot in 22 Hornet that just may do the trick.

As to 4ager, if you do not like Pennsylvania and her outdoorsman, well, there's 49 other states for you to choose from. Adios!

You're right, and I hunt other states. I have hunted successfully in quite a few states for three decades and without a doubt the greatest number of slob hunters and unethical, unlawful, and down-right dangerous idiots in hunting seasons have come out of or been resident hunters in PA. It's not "classless" if it's a personal observation and stated as such, and frankly, I'm not alone. I know more than a few wardens in states surrounding PA (and at least one Western state) that to a person (including a couple females in there) will tell you flat out that they can just about bank on finding a violation, or an intoxicated hunter, or getting reports of dangerous/unlawful activity wherever they find a PA truck. That might be "profiling", but it's accurate and it works.

I haven't hunted all 50 states, but I have hunted 14 states other than PA. In all 14, and more than a few of those Eastern states, none match the stupidity I've seen in PA unless the hunters involved are from PA. I have no idea why it is that way, and I really wish it would change, but it is what it is.

You can be insulted, if you choose to be insulted. I don't know you, nor how you hunt. You might be one of those idiots; or you might be one of the most ethical, responsible people to ever set foot in the field pursuing game. Those things, I don't know. What I do know is what I've seen and experienced, and that's what I stated.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.