Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have been seriously considering buying a Howa 1500 stainless in 375 Ruger and I'm wondering if anyone has hands-on experience with one, any comments or opinions appreciated...

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Only got to handle one but never shot it. It's a HOWA action so that's a plus right there (I've had one for 30+yrs). Never was crazy about the Hogue stocks. To me they were bulky. Until I handled this one. Slimmed down it felt VERY GOOD and balanced well. The 375 Ruger cartridge definitely has a following.

Sorry I can't provide more experiences. I will say that when I found out the owner was selling a bunch of guns I'd have bought it if I didn't already have a 9.3x62.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've sold a couple in the last few years to customers who wanted a reasonably priced "big bore". I zeroed one of them and it was pleasant to shoot. Can't think of anything to criticize about them and they are probably the best bargain out there in a big gun. One went up North and killed a Griz.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have a blued version with the 24" barrel. Really enjoy it and shoots very comfortably. Not a big fan of the Hogue stock either but just haven't settled on a replacement so it has stayed in the Hogue.

Have given some thought to picking up an identical rifle (or barreled action) and having it re-bored and re-chambered to 416 Ruger. Would make a nice hunt-the-world tandem, IMO.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have one I put together last winter. Started as a stainless 24" model.
First the barrel was shortened to 21" and a 11d target crown then a Shrewd brake for the bench and a cap for the field.
The Hogue stock was ditched for a B&C Medalist in black w/gray spec.
I added a silver Leupold VXII 3-9X40 with stainless rings and bases.
The Timney trigger is set at about 3lbs

The whole package weight is around 8lbs even it was built for a mt elk hunting rifle. I havent put more than a few down range with it but its a shooter for sure

Last edited by Readypro1; 10/13/14.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought I posted here yesterday, but I guess it was cyberized. I bought one about 4+ years ago in anticipation of a return hunt for cape buff. Health put the skids on that a bit. Mine is the Houge stock and 24" SS. My only complaint is the trigger which breaks at about 4# and has a bit of creep, that most people wouldn't notice, it is adjustable and word is that the newer model is better. I have shot the rifle extensively, I never bought a factory round . I did this because i wanted to work into the recoil slowly rather than start with with full power. My experience has been that most loads will shoot <MOA for 3 shots, however different weight bullets do not shoot the same point of aim @100yd. I use a load of about 70-72 gr of one of the 4895's and the 225gr Hornady spire point. This puts it in the power range of a 300 mag. Damage to deer is comparable and little meat is lost. Recoil is like 3006-300mag. The Houge stock seems to mitigate recoil, and the rig weighs a bit over 9# with a Leupy 1.75- 6 scope in Burris steel rings. I never shoot more than 6 or 8 full throttle loads because I don't want to develop a flinch,as even though recoil is mitigated 300 gr at~2650 generate recognizable recoil. It hasn't hurt yet, but being a "wus" I respect it. Usual pastime is shooting 16 oz soda/tea bottles at 330 yds from different positions. The bottles are losing. I originally bought the rifle because Ruger would not do a stuff on the assy line and give me a laminate stock wit a SS 23" set up. Id buy the Howa again. Oh one of the things Ive done is to shoot Lee 255gr 38-55 cast bullets, tumble lubed over a light dose of shotshell powder. These are just "stuffed by hand" ; bullets unsized into unsized cases. This gives a velocity similar to the 38-55 . this is just for plinking practice or even deer at short range. They will group under 1 moa at 100-3hots.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Howa is not enough known ... It's one of the better manufacturer of "bolt action rifles", supplier of Weatherby.
I keep my 1500 cal .270W and I'm looking for the same .300WM ...
I was impressed by its smooth action and true accuracy!
I use it for targets shooting 330yds, under moa of course!

Howa 1500 .300WM Scope Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 x40 + Parallaxe
CZ 550 9.3x62 Mauser Scope Leupold VX2 3-9x40
Marlin 1895 45-70 Scope Hawke Endurance 30 1.25-4.5x24
12 Gauge O/U 18" barrel
Cool!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The only thing I will point out on the Howa is the bolt release screw is very small and weak. I have owned and hunted with a Howa for 12 years now and have broken the screw before. Pulled the bolt back and it never stopped, just fell out the back and onto the range floor. Rifle can be used as a single shot after that, but is a pain to get the screw out once sheared off. (In case anyone is curious, I use my palm to operate the bolt, pulling back until it stops then pushing it back forward, again with my palm.)

I talked to the makers of Howa and got told "it's not a battle rifle" and should not be working the bolt that hard. I thought it was a terrible answer and, further, if you are using a 375 on a dangerous game hunt, then it is a battle rifle. Last thing I'd want is the bolt to slide out the back when I go to reload as a grizzly bear is running towards me.

That is the only gripe I have with Howa. Unfortunately a pretty big one for an otherwise excellent rifle.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a 375 Ruger built on a factory take off barrel and Howa action, factory synthetic stock. Sold it to a guy who claimed he was taking it to Africa....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Figured I'd tag onto this aged thread, to keep the miniscule amount of Howa talk all in one place.

Has anybody shot the .375 Howa in both the Hogue stock and a B&C Medalist or McMillen? Have thoughts to share? Recoil, accuracy, etc?

I'm 6'4", so I use a slip-on recoil pad to increase the length of pull even on rimfires. With this one, I expect I'll actually appreciate the recoil absorption.

I have a barreled action on order. I've read plenty, and I'm leaning toward the full-bed Hogue at this point. I have handled plenty of pillar-bed Hogues and, with the forend flex, would only consider one if the deal on a rifle I wanted was so good I could assign zero value to the stock. But the aluminum reinforcement seems like it should solve the problem.

I have Boyd's on a few other rifles, but the only instance I've seen of someone using one on a .375 Ruger Howa resulted in the recoil lug quickly splitting the laminates and pulling a chunk rearward into the mag well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've probably got just over a hundred rounds through my 1500 St. 375 Ruger and I quite like the Hogue stock, although I do hear more criticism than praise for it... and I'm only 5' 8" short.
Given the fact that we hunt in either very rainy or cold & snowy weather I think it will work well for me.
And the rifle is certainly a fine piece.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.