Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do wonder what it will take to fix it.

Retired cat herder.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
anxious to find out if they gave you a new barrel and have drilled a smaller gas port for the lighter bolt/carrier.

I think DPMS designed the receivers and BCG of the GII but forgot the rest of the rifle. From what I have experienced with my .308 with standard weight carriers, lightweight carriers, buffers, etc...., .308's need a longer gas system, not just a smaller gas port. The GII uses a lighter bolt carrier group but still uses a short gas system designed for a full mass .223 bolt group. I think this is why they chew up brass so bad. The lightweight carrier starts moving while chamber pressures are still high (bullet is still in barrel) and this rips off rims, primers back out, and gives overall false pressure signs. If you move the gas port closer to the muzzle, the bolt stays put longer and won't unlock as early. If you time it right, you can find that sweet spot where reliability and undamaged brass come together.

Why DPMS would do all that R&D only to stick with a .223 gas system amazes me.

Last edited by wareagle700; 06/16/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Originally Posted by jimmyp
anxious to find out if they gave you a new barrel and have drilled a smaller gas port for the lighter bolt/carrier.

I think DPMS designed the receivers and BCG of the GII but forgot the rest of the rifle. From what I have experienced with my .308 with standard weight carriers, lightweight carriers, buffers, etc...., .308's need a longer gas system, not just a smaller gas port. The GII uses a lighter bolt carrier group but still uses a short gas system designed for a full mass .223 bolt group. I think this is why they chew up brass so bad. The lightweight carrier starts moving while chamber pressures are still high (bullet is still in barrel) and this rips off rims, primers back out, and gives overall false pressure signs. If you move the gas port closer to the muzzle, the bolt stays put longer and won't unlock as early. If you time it right, you can find that sweet spot where reliability and undamaged brass come together.

Why DPMS would do all that R&D only to stick with a .223 gas system amazes me.

At one point when I was looking at maybe buying a G2 I contacted DPMS and asked if they were considering a mid length gas system.

"No!"

Oh well.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They are part of Remington.

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I bought this Gen II Hunter a year ago, it's been back to the factory once and then on to Ahlman's. DPMS subs their repairs to them, and I got it back today. To say they gave excellent customer service, is an understatement.

[Linked Image]

I doubt anyone can read the notes, as they are difficult in the hand, but the target says most of what I want to know. 5 at 100 yard just under an inch with factory ammo. Nosler 155 gr bthp Match, factory, but I'll take it.

Interesting thing on the note said I thought it was getting excess pressure. That's what I told them I had it in to DPMS for the first time and it came back stripping rims off the case and leaving the empty in the chamber to pound out.

They polished the chamber, rebuilt the bolt, tested headspace and increased buffer weight. Then they tested 3 different loads with a 180, 165, and 155. It appears the 155 won. They mighta got it right. Hoping!

Let the gamechanging begin. Hope to get a 165 Partition or 168 TSX flying straight. I'll try Hunter first. Might be a while though.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There used to be a guy on arfcom called Slash that built heavy buffers for AR-10's. That was my main grip with the big guns, drive a 150 gr bullet over 2700 fps and they start pulling rims. Adding one of Slash's buffers cured lots of ills.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (3333vl, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,206 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.