Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Read on another forum. Guy shoots a 5x5 bull three times with his ML and still can't kill him. Watches the elk, snaps pictures of it while laying there still alive and thrashing.... laying in a ditch/stream.....after 30 minutes he decides he needs to go get help WHILE BULL IS STILL ALIVE. Couple of miles back to camp to get his buds, they come back............you already know the end of the story. G-o-n-e.

You pack in somewhere elk hunting and you only carry three loads? You leave him still thrashing around after 30 minutes of misery? You don't have a knife? Scared of a thrashing bull? Make a damn spear or something!!!

Apparently he must have been shooting a patched round ball because his stated load was 45 grains of bp. Elk's shoulders were eating that load for lunch from what I could gather.

Sickening.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
45 grains of BP isn't even a decent load with a .50 caliber round ball, that doesn't sound right.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In Colorado at least that would be grounds for wanton waste of big game meat and would carry a fine. Hope someone turn that idiot in, no matter what state it was.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Post a link.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty sickening indeed!!! It's apparent that some guys just don't need to be out there hunting...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That really sucks. Poor animal.

Eric

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Makes my skin crawl.

I suppose that until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes you don't really know what it's like. But I'm sure I could have figured out a way to put him away for good.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
You don't have a knife? Scared of a thrashing bull?

You evidently haven't been on the receiving end of what a crippled bull can do, or seen the raw power of their hooves and horns in person.......

don't have a knife? good grief......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You evidently haven't been on the receiving end of what a crippled bull can do, or seen the raw power of their hooves and horns in person.......

+1. I've seen that done with a mule deer doe and that was a rodeo I would want no part of. Can't imagine trying that on an elk.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A live bull in almost any condition can turn a man to hamburger.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Took two buddies of mine elk hunting a number of years ago. One guy's Ruger 77 broke the day before the hunt so I loaned him mine. His was 30-06, mine was 7mm-08. We killed a nice bull the first morning and he went off on his own to try and get his own. Apparently he didn't realize that he only had 30-06 ammo in his pack and the 4-5 7mm rounds that were in the rifle.

Shot a bull and knocked him down and got one lung ( I think). Then followed him up and made another poor shot. Shot again and hit him in the skull where the antler attaches. This knocked him out. He went up to take photos and the bull got up. He was now empty and couldn't find anymore ammo!

He sat 20 yards from the bull for several hours until it finally died. He had a whole roll of film of the bull looking at him.

Crazy things can happen. I'm glad he didn't try and play Chuck Norris and cut his throat!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I went elk hunting with an old friend. I shot a big cow and we headed back to the truck for packing gear. On the way, a cow came over a ridge about 75 yds away. Then another, and another. They just kept coming. My friend shot and missed in his excitement. Then he started fiddling with his rifle and never shot again. Before it was done, at least 40 elk had paraded by broadside within gimme range and he never shot a 2d round.

He was learning to reload and bought one of those little Lee hand loaders. He'd picked up a bunch of brass at popular shooting site in the desert and loaded them. As you might know, the Lees only neck size, not full length. You only neck size when using brass fired in your own rifle. His rifle apparently had a minimum sized chamber. By pure luck, the 1 round he shot fit. He had 10 more with him and not a single one of them would chamber. I was hunkered down about 5 yds behind him. If I'd known what he was doing, I'd have handed him my rifle.

I had a set of 30-06 dies at home so after the hunt, we pulled all the bullets and resized his brass. It was an honest mistake for a beginner and he never realized that he needed to test load all of his cartridges in his rifle under those conditions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

Was in that situation just last week....but I was prepared.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You had extra shells or you had to use the knife?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Well, don't bring a knife to a gunfight.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SKane

You had extra shells or you had to use the knife?

Extra shells. My point in the whole thing is that I found it hard to understand how a person could watch a wounded elk for 30 minutes, do nothing, then walk back to camp....elk still not dead.....it was a tough situation to be in for sure. But, good Lord, do something. In that 30 minutes I would have at least tried something....and I bet y'all would have too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I hear ya. Don't know that I'd be so eager to share if I were that guy.

He deserves whatever ridicule he's getting.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but it damn sure wouldn't have been to try to stab it or cut his throat.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
but it damn sure wouldn't have been to try to stab it or cut his throat.

Agree...totally.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
134 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.