Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Winchester's answer to the Ruger American, Remington 783/770, etc?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
First Ive heard of it.

Last I wanna hear of it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wish makers would spend more time trying to see how good of a gun they can make , rather than how cheap of a gun they can make.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like Winchester trying to get on the bandwagon with the low priced rifles.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The Leupold on it probably cost more than the rifle itself.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/interactive/firearms/xpr/

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You can't blame them. Price oint sells for the masses.

Dealers around here sell about 5 to one "budget" rifles compared to flagship models.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our local pusher sells way more savage axis rifles than all the other premier rifles that he carries.

The new shooters are being pushed onto these type of plastic, utilitarian type guns, just look at the hunting shows now, you rarely see premium type guns on hunting shows now a days.

But on the other hand if it gets a new shooter into the sport because he/she can afford a $350 Savage package rifle I'm for it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They aren't being "pushed" on anything. People buy what they can afford.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Looks like Winchester trying to get on the bandwagon with the low priced rifles.

[Linked Image]

Oliver is rolling over in his grave at about 4500 rpm.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Your grandchildren will be talking about Winchesters in "pre" and Post" XPR terms....

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am disgusted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like they copied the American as closely as they possibly could with just enough difference to sidestep a patent infringement lawsuit. From the remarks here people aren't happy.

Ruger owns that market and I bet it's driving the other gun companies crazy.

Ruger can produce the same rifle - plastic stock, barrel nut, recoil lug attached to the stock, the stocks even look the same etc. etc., and folks take to them like ducks to a new pond and talk up how great they are. They even crave more expanded offerings; "gee, I wish they'd offer a 6.5 Fastwist with a this and that and the other".

Like it or hate it, there's nothing here an emotional reaction is going to change. It's just the market demographics - the folks coming into the major gun buying demographic have no attachment to walnut at all and gun companies stay alive by selling what their buyers want.

BTW, the left hand Ruger Americans are just starting to show up, looks like pretty soon I'll have to replace my right hand American .243 with a leftie... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
They have entered the disposable rifle market?
I bet they shoot very well because if they don't, looks and price, won't get them over the line.
I'd try one.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It looks like they copied the American as closely as they possibly could with just enough difference to sidestep a patent infringement lawsuit. From the remarks here people aren't happy.

Ruger owns that market and I bet it's driving the other gun companies crazy.

Ruger can produce the same rifle - plastic stock, barrel nut, recoil lug attached to the stock, the stocks even look the same etc. etc., and folks take to them like ducks to a new pond and talk up how great they are. They even crave more expanded offerings; "gee, I wish they'd offer a 6.5 Fastwist with a this and that and the other".

Like it or hate it, there's nothing here an emotional reaction is going to change. It's just the market demographics - the folks coming into the major gun buying demographic have no attachment to walnut at all and gun companies stay alive by selling what their buyers want.

BTW, the left hand Ruger Americans are just starting to show up, looks like pretty soon I'll have to replace my right hand American .243 with a leftie... wink

You apparently missed all the extended crying and whining that took place here between when Ruger announced the new Americans and the time it took for people to actually buy a few and shoot them. Many threads about how Ruger had lost their way, firearms market going to heII, etc.

David

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't get what all the uproar is about. They still make the 70, remington still makes the 700 (which was derided at the time of introduction much like the current budget guns are now), ruger still makes the 77, etc.

The budget guns have not killed off the flagship models, and they allow someone to get into the sport with a fairly low level of cash. I have always figured the rifle is the cheapest part of the equation, after all I spend on ammo, scopes, rings, mounts, slings, cases, etc. That's why I typically don't mind to spend a bit more to get what I want, although a Ruger shorty American in .308 is looking kind of attractive to me right now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by K1500
I don't get what all the uproar is about.

Old people don't like change.

David

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like chit is going downhill pretty fast for Winchester again. Maybe they should call this the Portugal rifleman's rifle.. sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oliver Winchester broke winchester in 1936 so it's safe to say Winchester been going downhill since then....

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too add to this Olin corporation realized in 1980 their was no money in gun making were going to shut the whole operation down. Time for guys to realize most folks are not like you/us and want only a good starter rifle. Example today talking to a guy makes damn good money no kids what does he buy to go to Adak a ruger American so winchester saw/sees an opportunity to make money.

Last edited by 79S; 10/10/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if the budget guns are hurting the sale of barrels for Encores and such, considering that you get a complete rifle for the price of a barrel.

Actually, I'm in favor of the budget concept. Having decent rifles available for a low price means beginners those with limited means will be buying them instead of the old, used guns I want.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.