Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The 20" shifter was actually a nice professional pillar bedded McMillan, and a darn good shooting 7-08.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Impressive.

I can't tell you the miles I've put on rifles on ATVs and skiffs. Then I loaded them in a truck, drove 3000 miles and killed more shiet with them, then a few thousand more miles and killed more shiet with them. Never had nothing shift.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Holy chit! You mean if they're not kept in padded cases they won't hold zero! Who woulda thought..... Straight quality.

Rough and tumble lot some are.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still ain't had a problem.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
To the OP, my preferences mightn't be applicable to you or the type of terrain you hunt in, however they're based on hunting deer for forty five years, averaging over 70 days per annum in sometimes very rugged and remote terrain. I currently use a Sako .308 as my main deer rifle and it's topped with a Leupold VX-2 2-7X33 in Leupold low ring mounts.

If it's one thing I don't want on a rifle it's extra and unnecessary weight. Done with the heavy, variable Euro optics. A small Leupold variable or a quality fixed 4x (6x if you only hunt open country) mounted low as possible and you're good to go. Have had many different Leupold scopes on different rifles and none have ever let me down or lost their zero.

The KISS principle works.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 4x or 6x is all you really need on a 308 whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You jazzed me with "anybody can make Match Kings shoot," but you couldn't get a 308 to shoot? C'mon man! grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If the platform was a Win M70, it makes sense.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd take a serious look at a Leupold 6x36. If you go with something like a Nightforce on that particular rifle, you're going to be well over 9 lbs field ready.

Might also think about putting the rifle on a diet with a 20 oz. stock from MG Arms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The 2.5-8x36mm Leupold is a decent scope but if really used the majority will develop problems... And quick.

Horse chit.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For somebody that kills more than targets, a 308 and a 6X make perfect sense to me.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I have a friend who used an older model Leupold 2.5-8x36 almost every day for several years, weather permitting, to make his living shooting deer and goats as a government hunter. Never missed a beat.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Horse chit.

Illuminate us as to how many 2.5-8x's you have used, round counts, ranges, how do you conduct tracking tests? How do you test zero retention? Durability?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Horse chit.

Illuminate us as to how many 2.5-8x's you have used, round counts, ranges, how do you conduct tracking tests? How do you test zero retention? Durability?

What good are tracking tests? My criterion is venison in the freezer. I'll go along with zeissman except I have had 2 Leupolds go belly up. One was fixed, the other replaced no questions asked. That's 2 failures in over 30 years of several scopes and lots of hard use.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Horse chit.

You made the claim, YOU prove it.

Please enlighten us as to why that particular model would be any different from others and what experience you have to base this claim upon.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't get upset or emotional about inconsequential topics such as optics, or the guys that make asinine statements such as......

In short the average hunter isn't a barometer of much of anything.

or the people who defend them.

I'm not defending Mr. Formidilosus but the average hunter isn't a barometer of much of anything. Except perhaps levels of stupid.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Horse chit.

I've been using 2.5x8's on a couple of rifles for 0ver 15 yrs and both have never wandered from the original zero not sure how much more one can expect, you only seem to get involved in these scope debates to point out how your such an expert in all things related to scopes!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Please enlighten us as to why that particular model would be any different from others and what experience you have to base this claim upon.....

That particular model is no different than most other Leupold variables. They ALL suffer from the same issues. The 3.5-10x40 Mark4 M3 LR is the most failure prone modern sniper optic that has ever been fielded. Every single Leupold TS30 (2.5-8x), M3 LR, and 4.5-14x50 M1 that I have been issued has failed in some form or fashion.

My experience is based on being a military sniper, teaching at a couple of places with virtually unlimited ammo budgets where my yearly expenditure was over 30k rounds at long range, having used extensively every military sniper optic issued in the last decade, teaching "hunting" classes and seeing nearly every type and brand of scope come through and watching virtually all of them fail, and as a competitor. In the last month I have fired just over 3K rounds of match ammunition and have watched almost ten times that fired with every single round being scored and tracked. Very few scopes consistently make it a single day without needing to be rezeroed or problem solved.

One of the best funded and supported sniper schools averages around a 30% "problem" rate of Leupold Variable Mark 4's in each class.

This isn't a measuring contest or me trying to say that you can't kill deer with a certain scope. It is me offering that there are significantly better scopes for the same money that will be more durable, hold zero better, and track correctly consistently.

If you don't mind-

How many 2.5-8x's you have used, round counts, ranges, how do you conduct tracking tests? How do you test zero retention? Durability?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Horse chit.

I've been using 2.5x8's on a couple of rifles for 0ver 15 yrs and both have never wandered from the original zero not sure how much more one can expect, you only seem to get involved in these scope debates to point out how your such an expert in all things related to scopes!

You have realize that formy is afflicted with LDS.

Do Leupold scopes fail? Yes
Do Nightforce scopes fail? Yes
Do U.S. Optics Scopes fail? Yes

If you own a rifle and a scope and actually use it enough, chances are you'll have some kind of problem during its life. It's the nature of anything mechanical.

Have you ever owned a car that never broke down or needed any mechanical maintenance?

I know competitive shooters and folks who test and mount scopes for a living. They feel the same way about certain brands of scopes from their experiences in the field and in test conditions. Leupold ballistic reticles are perfect. A mil on the reticle measures a mil in reality, unlike many scopes with higher price tags. If you knew how bad some were, you'd never entertain the thought of buying one. Tracking and click values are generally accurate. One of the scopes I own was tested and proven to be the best scope he's ever tested of any brand over 25 years of mounting thousands of scopes. The click values were dead nuts perfect the entire length of the travel till the knobs stopped and it tracked on the vertical line of travel, never vearing, till the end.

Now as far as Leupold is concerned, I don't own any rifles with a scope that isn't made by Leupold. I'm not sponsored by Leupold or have any affiliation with the company. I Pays my money and Gits my scope just like any other customer. I've used the scopes for what they are designed; I have target knobs on every one. I've killed game at long range and have competed at long range over the last few years, winning and placing well at some of the toughest shoots around, even matching course records. The treatment the equipment takes at these shoots makes hunting look like a trip to the range.

I shoot with friends who are sponsored by Leupold and have proved themselves to be among the top shooters in the country, winning the most prestigious shoots. They are also long range hunters who actually dial their scopes

Ya got a member here in JohnBurns whose resume speaks for itself at long range.

The fact of the matter is that there isn't a better value scope out there, no matter what formy says. Leupold is a hell of a lot of scope for the money.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

That particular model is no different than most other Leupold variables. They ALL suffer from the same issues. The 3.5-10x40 Mark4 M3 LR is the most failure prone modern sniper optic that has ever been fielded. Every single Leupold TS30 (2.5-8x), M3 LR, and 4.5-14x50 M1 that I have been issued has failed in some form or fashion.

My experience is based on being a military sniper, teaching at a couple of places with virtually unlimited ammo budgets where my yearly expenditure was over 30k rounds at long range, having used extensively every military sniper optic issued in the last decade, teaching "hunting" classes and seeing nearly every type and brand of scope come through and watching virtually all of them fail, and as a competitor. In the last month I have fired just over 3K rounds of match ammunition and have watched almost ten times that fired with every single round being scored and tracked. Very few scopes consistently make it a single day without needing to be rezeroed or problem solved.

One of the best funded and supported sniper schools averages around a 30% "problem" rate of Leupold Variable Mark 4's in each class.

This isn't a measuring contest or me trying to say that you can't kill deer with a certain scope. It is me offering that there are significantly better scopes for the same money that will be more durable, hold zero better, and track correctly consistently.

If you don't mind-

How many 2.5-8x's you have used, round counts, ranges, how do you conduct tracking tests? How do you test zero retention? Durability?

Yada yada yada.

I see nowhere where you stated you actually USED 2.5-8x36s Leupolds and had them fail. As you inferred earlier. And since the military doesn't issue them, it's pretty safe to say you were bowing smoke out your A$$.

So basically, what we have here is a gross generalization made about ALL Leupold scopes. A blanket statement. As suspected.

I gotta go to work.

You kids enjoy......

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.