Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dwayne;
I agree its been a nasty fall season for bears!
I mostly hunt birds now but pack the pepper spray on my hip and keep a cartridge carrier with both 00 and slugs. But weather or not I would have enuff time to get them into the gun is iffy. I hunt alone in the back country, always have. I don't wanna run into one and hope I never do. My plan is the spray to the face.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by tangozulu
CBC Whitehorse is saying a woman has died after an encounter with a bear near Teslin yesterday.

from what i have heard in town they were on the south canol road camping. attacked by a bear, they killed the bear but the lady died at Teslin. waiting for more infos ...

around here we know some people that got this year attacked and even a friend had to shoot a grizly sow at 3 meters.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see some details on another thread. This was a very aggressive bear that entered a home and then pursued the woman outside where she was killed.
I have been cutting wood all fall and can tell you there are no berries this year which i believe is the main reason for the bears being bold

Last edited by tangozulu; 10/20/14.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Is there a best bear spray?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Double ought Buck seems to work good at short range, otherwise a good slug is the fix.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Double ought Buck seems to work good at short range, otherwise a good slug is the fix.

The bear was an old adult male grizzly. The husband killed it with a 30/30

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Was replying to the ? about the best spray smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just asking Keith, a spray can might fit better in a fishing tackle box than say, a twelve gauge pump?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Reminds me of th estory about the guys who recommended bear spray to be carried and little bells to be pinned on to let the bears know you were there so they wouldn't be surprised. They said the best thing about it is that the remains of the humans could be identified by the cayenne flavour of the bear stool, and the undigested bells.

The best spray is still a Remington 870 and alternating 00Buck and slugs. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is there a best bear spray?

UDAP is supposed to be very good. It was developed by a man who was hunting and a Grizzly chewed him up seriously. After recuperating, he created a powerful spray.

www.udap.com

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Reminds me of th estory about the guys who recommended bear spray to be carried and little bells to be pinned on to let the bears know you were there so they wouldn't be surprised. They said the best thing about it is that the remains of the humans could be identified by the cayenne flavour of the bear stool, and the undigested bells.

The best spray is still a Remington 870 and alternating 00Buck and slugs. wink

BS P+. READ THIS and THIS

not to mention shooting a bear chewing on your pard with a scattergun has obvious drawbacks...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Having been issued with "pepper spray" for personal defense, and having trained with the stuff, I can tell you that there are a few factors that limit its usefulness. Chief of these is air current movement and the risk of cross contamination. Believe me when I tell you, that if this stuff works on bears and dogs, it will also work on humans -- and the user is a human. A little breeze can carry the capsicum spray back in your face, and render you useless to defend yourself.

Under ideal conditions (if they ever exist) it can be effective, but we were always told to be aware of cross contamination, and even a little goes a long way in the wrong direction.

But and it is a big but, I am no expert on bear attacks or the usefulness of spray on bears. I do know 00Buck is very effective -- been there and done that quite a few times.

Brother Keith

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.