Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"David Fairbanks, a spokesman for STARS air ambulance, said the man, 56, was not only mauled, but also shot by his hunting partner who was trying to neutralize the animal."

this also happened a few years ago near Cooke City. another plug for bear spray here

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope his partner shooting the Griz and him scared the bear off him. Doesn't say where he was shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
Happy Thanksgiving to you sir and thanks for the link.

It made my heart skip a bit of a beat as our friend and neighbor just got back from his mining job in the Yukon last week and immediately headed to the Kootenays to chase elk.

As I've read of too many instances where the attacked hunter has been shot in one of these melees, the girls and I have gone over our action plan a multitude of times so I hope we can make it work if our day with a bear ever comes.

By the way, our plan is to shoot the hip bones out of anything until it collapses and then go from there.

I realize that these sort of situations are fluid to say the least and in no way am I condemning the folks involved here, merely stating what our family emergency plan is.

Thanks again for the link sir and all the best to you folks this weekend and in your upcoming hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It would be interesting to know firearm used and how many times the bear was shot.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/techno...+partner+near+Fernie/10285219/story.html

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
Yes indeed it would.

When the two BC hunters were attacked in their tent while sheep hunting near Radium a few years back I was able to correspond a wee bit with one of the gentlemen involved.

Anyway my thoughts and prayers are with the injured hunter and his family this Thanksgiving for sure.

None of us hope to have such encounters, but it's good to have a plan in the event our number comes up.

Thanks again sir and again all the best to you folks.

Dwayne

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Well that made my butt pucker!

I've hunted 4x with an outfitter based in Fernie. He talked about there regularly being bears 'round the town' dump, & it sure looked like bear country to me.

Prayers for all involved.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
think that the 3r in Canada involving hunters this year

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m not sure spray is the ticket, BUT thinking about it a bit more, maybe if everyone has a small canister attached to them, if the person being attacked could get a squirt in the face... might allow the others to shoot.

Kind of wakes you up... a month ago I was cleaning a moose all by myself in Alaska, at night, done around 1AM.
I thought I was doing all the best I could and evidently it worked out, but something walked up, you could not hear much of anything at all, just muffled... who knows.. but I went over and started the 6 wheeler out in the bush just to be safe. Evidently it worked.

We are not at the top of the food chain in some instances. And some days my mantra of why carry a pistol when you have a rifle... well at least I carry a hell for stout knife ....knife at a bear fight doesn't sound so good though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we had a similar incident he a few years ago. one of the party was killed by a youngster. just a tragedy all around. praying for all involved it this instance. griz are nothing to play with nor are blackies.
I always carry here where I live even when running my dogs.
as I have apples all over the place we have bears regularly and I respect them as being above me on the food chain.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rost495

Yes bringing a knife to a bear fight is kinda like showing up at gun fight with a baseball bat. Maybe not the best idea maybe also having bear spray might be better. Just saying . Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll never be without some type of fighting fixed blade knife as a last resort, it can get you out of all kinds of other issues too... rope bindings, etc....

But I suspect I really should start carrying a pistol, and a mini canister of spray.... as long as either or both are still accessible while rolling around on the ground either or both could help save the day.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great bear pics. But I have to ask what is the fixture on power poles that I can see in the background of the bear on the left in the first picture.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
According to his friend here in Edgewater the bear was shot 8 times one bullet passed through the bear into the victims leg. I believe they were elk hunting so I expect it was a proper hunting rifle. But I'll ask Jeremy what it was shot with.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guess I'd much rather be shot in the leg, than finished off by the bear!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
CBC Whitehorse is saying a woman has died after an encounter with a bear near Teslin yesterday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tangozulu;
Good morning to you sir, I trust all is well with you folks this cool wet fall morning.

I'll have to look that up on the CBC site and see what they say.

My goodness it's been that kind of fall so far for bears hasn't it?

Yesterday morning I was chasing whitetail in one of the few spots we might see a grizzly in my part of the world when I ran upon a large number of fresh bear scat piles.

It made my the morning coffee kick in a wee bit quicker anyway - that I will say.....

As I only saw a smallish but very nicely furred black bear it was an uneventful morning. wink

Thanks again, all the best to you folks and good hunting.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rog;
Thanks for the additional info and if you're able to please pass along my best wishes to the chap who's been wounded.

Good grief 8 rounds is a pile isn't it? I'd not like to participate in that sort of rodeo anymore.

I'll admit that while I carry 10 on me when I'm hunting here, the next 5 are in my pack and not available in a big hurry if the situation required it.

If you do get anymore information I'll love to read about it and would appreciate you passing it along.

All the best to you and yours Roger, hopefully we can make a coffee together next time you're out this way.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/19/14. Reason: better sentence?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Rog;
Thanks for the additional info and if you're able to please pass along my best wishes to the chap who's been wounded.

Good grief 8 rounds is a pile isn't it? I'd not like to participate in that sort of rodeo anymore.

I'll admit that while I carry 10 on me when I'm hunting here, the next 5 are in my pack and not available in a big hurry if the situation required it.

If you do get anymore information I'll love to read about it and would appreciate you passing it along.

All the best to you and yours Roger, hopefully we can make a coffee together next time you're out this way.

Dwayne

2 different guns were used

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stew;
I wondered about that - thanks for the info.

My comment was meant to mean that I mostly hunt solo and if push came to shove as it did with these chaps I may not have enough ammo "on hand" so to speak to sort it out.

As I mentioned to tangozulu, it's been a bit of a bad year for bear encounters hasn't it?

Thanks again and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/19/14. Reason: better sentence?

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dwayne;
I agree its been a nasty fall season for bears!
I mostly hunt birds now but pack the pepper spray on my hip and keep a cartridge carrier with both 00 and slugs. But weather or not I would have enuff time to get them into the gun is iffy. I hunt alone in the back country, always have. I don't wanna run into one and hope I never do. My plan is the spray to the face.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by tangozulu
CBC Whitehorse is saying a woman has died after an encounter with a bear near Teslin yesterday.

from what i have heard in town they were on the south canol road camping. attacked by a bear, they killed the bear but the lady died at Teslin. waiting for more infos ...

around here we know some people that got this year attacked and even a friend had to shoot a grizly sow at 3 meters.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see some details on another thread. This was a very aggressive bear that entered a home and then pursued the woman outside where she was killed.
I have been cutting wood all fall and can tell you there are no berries this year which i believe is the main reason for the bears being bold

Last edited by tangozulu; 10/20/14.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Is there a best bear spray?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Double ought Buck seems to work good at short range, otherwise a good slug is the fix.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Double ought Buck seems to work good at short range, otherwise a good slug is the fix.

The bear was an old adult male grizzly. The husband killed it with a 30/30

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Was replying to the ? about the best spray smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just asking Keith, a spray can might fit better in a fishing tackle box than say, a twelve gauge pump?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Reminds me of th estory about the guys who recommended bear spray to be carried and little bells to be pinned on to let the bears know you were there so they wouldn't be surprised. They said the best thing about it is that the remains of the humans could be identified by the cayenne flavour of the bear stool, and the undigested bells.

The best spray is still a Remington 870 and alternating 00Buck and slugs. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is there a best bear spray?

UDAP is supposed to be very good. It was developed by a man who was hunting and a Grizzly chewed him up seriously. After recuperating, he created a powerful spray.

www.udap.com

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Reminds me of th estory about the guys who recommended bear spray to be carried and little bells to be pinned on to let the bears know you were there so they wouldn't be surprised. They said the best thing about it is that the remains of the humans could be identified by the cayenne flavour of the bear stool, and the undigested bells.

The best spray is still a Remington 870 and alternating 00Buck and slugs. wink

BS P+. READ THIS and THIS

not to mention shooting a bear chewing on your pard with a scattergun has obvious drawbacks...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Having been issued with "pepper spray" for personal defense, and having trained with the stuff, I can tell you that there are a few factors that limit its usefulness. Chief of these is air current movement and the risk of cross contamination. Believe me when I tell you, that if this stuff works on bears and dogs, it will also work on humans -- and the user is a human. A little breeze can carry the capsicum spray back in your face, and render you useless to defend yourself.

Under ideal conditions (if they ever exist) it can be effective, but we were always told to be aware of cross contamination, and even a little goes a long way in the wrong direction.

But and it is a big but, I am no expert on bear attacks or the usefulness of spray on bears. I do know 00Buck is very effective -- been there and done that quite a few times.

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (257_X_50, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.