Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What have you MN hunters discoverd on your hunting grounds? I was up on our area the last two weekends and have discovered there "ain't squat" as my BIL put it.

Our usual stand sites are devoid of deer. Nothing on a camera, but a large black bear, even on my best spot.

I spent a good portion of yesterday scouting a new area. Found deer sign and grouse...which is good. But the deer sign wasn't great, or even good.

On the good side, the wolves have moved out of our area as well, but I know what that means.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had some cams out by leech lake,and there was does and fawns on most,a few different sets.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have some does, no bucks seen by anyone out harvesting. Heard of a spike and four point near my boys stand. Saw one early September across the road from our landowners place that looked like a basket 8.

Thinking this is gonna be a tough season for sure.

No doe tag for me, boys can each take a doe this year however.

Dealing with Wolves on the north pasture a section north of us, old herd cow discouraged their antics after a few circles around the pasture. I do have a large pack of yotes that will be targeted and neutralized on sight however. One was ballsy enough to stalk me through the woods along the shoreline. Grazed him with my .45 but couldn't seal the deal. Trying to turn fast and accurate on a peat bog is not so easy.

In any event we're going out. If nothing else I might run towards Duluth to my daughters place in Duquette MN to see what there is to see.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well if you get to Duquette you need to call me. I won't be far from there at all and my Pops lives 15-20 miles from there! Let me know.

I'm north of Duluth a good bit, the part that got hig HARD by the snow.

We are bucks only, no matter what. I have nearly the season off, so I'll find something I hope. If nothing else, I'm going to to do a lot of still hunting/scouting on this area I found. It has potential for a while, with a lot of logging currently going on.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
45 minutes south of Duluth, herd probably off 30%. We are encouraged in that we have 4 or 5 bucks on camera that are over 3.5 yo. Quite a few younger ones but our ones that were 4 or 5 last year appear to have been taken my the winter/wolves.

Will be fewer gun shots this year but the does must be passed.

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cfran, where are you guys hunting? I remember seeing a pic of a deer your kid shot that had a monster body. Or am I misremembering?

Last edited by tzone; 10/13/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here in west central I have a few decent bucks on camera, 1 nice 8 point and one decent 10, some fork horns and some spikes. Lots of does and fawns too. I saw a doe with triplets on the way to work the other day.

It looks like the population might be rebounding a bit. (Fingers crossed of course)

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Population looks good by my cabin (Perham) and ok where I hunt (Upper Whitefish, by camp Foley).

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have confidence that I'll see deer out of pure stubbornness, but I don't think there are a lot around my neck of the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friends of mine said that it was sparse at best in the arrowhead this summer.

I wish you luck Tom. I am more anxious about my hunting partner's daughter getting to see a deer this year. I would gladly make a deal to be skunked for a few years if she were able to have a great, successful hunt her first time out.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be joining Tom for the opener. My buddy Josh will be joining us. Can't wait. I've been waiting since February for this. Weather or not I see a deer is secondary. I didn't know if I'd even be here by now. 'Don't care about anything else, 'cuz I get to bat the alarm off the nightstand, curse my self for getting up so early, and go spend the day in the woods. When you don't know if you've had your last hunt, who really cares if you get a deer, just as long as you get a chance?

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/13/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an 150 inch working a camera. More bucks than I've seen in a few years. Thinking I benefitted from a recent 80 acre pine thinning nearby. No doe permits for my crew, so we'll need the horns that seem to be there.

Wood is Good.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Cfran, where are you guys hunting? I remember seeing a pic of a deer your kid shot that had a monster body. Or am I misremembering?

Yes, that as me (or my son)!

Near Moose Lake

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Finding Bigfoot had an episode at Moose Lake.

A couple years ago we played Moose Lake in football in the playoffs at St. Cloud and got our asses kicked. There was even a Bigfoot mascot running around.

What do you know about that?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by goalie
Friends of mine said that it was sparse at best in the arrowhead this summer.

I wish you luck Tom. I am more anxious about my hunting partner's daughter getting to see a deer this year. I would gladly make a deal to be skunked for a few years if she were able to have a great, successful hunt her first time out.

We'll be Arrowhead'ish. Not quite up there, but getting into that neck of the woods.

I know how you feel. It's great to see the kids succeed in the woods.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
I've got an 150 inch working a camera. More bucks than I've seen in a few years. Thinking I benefitted from a recent 80 acre pine thinning nearby. No doe permits for my crew, so we'll need the horns that seem to be there.

If I remember right, you boys have no trouble putting the racks on the ground. I remember the pics!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cfran

Yes, that as me (or my son)!

Near Moose Lake

I like that area of the state. It's kinda in the middle of everything, including good hunting!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt near Orr and there were wolves active last year during the hunt. I will be back again as it is tradition to hunt in the same area meeting up with the same guys from around the Cities and some locals.

I stay in an old camper I store at Orr and drag into the State Forest west of Cusson. This year my hunting partner can't make it but I've got friends in the area to rely on.

I don't expect to set the world on fire this season, but I'm a patient man. The 8 hour drive from Wisconsin is a long day and I hate the ride thru Superior and Duluth, especially that spaghetti bowl and that bridge. As long as my health holds out I suspect I'll keep on keeping on.

Last edited by Chainsaw; 10/13/14.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck Chainsaw and all the boys heading to Minnesota for the opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how Dave's crew is doing out west? Anybody heard anything yet?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tzone, will do.

My daughter and son in law say they are seeing lots of deer.

Their only issue is dealing with metro Hmong folks who shoot quite a bit. Guess things get a bit heated between them and the locals.

They haven't seen much for wolves out that way and are cruising all kinds of back roads and trails checking things out.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have had way to many jump in front of me when riding on the HD.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
bjm Offline
B
I hunt north of Fosston, and this year we're seeing more mature bucks and does with two fawns than in the 2013 season.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hunt near Bagley and I've been seeing some does when I travel back to the farm. My population gauge is what I see driving through Itasca state park area on hiway 200 and there are less deer. The rut hasn't cranked up yet. There are times when I see 5 deer per mile going through the park and I drive real slow then...

Saw a nice 8 point buck at my lake place north of Solway and may sit on my cabin porch a while.

Only 2 doe permits in our crew of 10...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We have no doe permits. We are in the "bucks only" zone. I'll hunt with the crew on opening weekend then I'll break out and find some new areas with deer.

There is enough logging and the rut should be really rolling during the first week of hunting.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
I have had way to many jump in front of me when riding on the HD.

This 2x this year, and once way closer than I care for, that Electra Glide handles better than most would think.

Our spot is close to McGregor, Deer population is down for sure probably 30-35%. Have seen a couple nice bucks we will see what the season brings.

Spoke with a DNR biologist he made the comment that there were spot areas up north that had a 50-60% winter mortality rate. His general take on it is that in the long term it will be good, as the strong did survive. He called a genetic cleansing.

Time will tell
D

Last edited by DougD; 10/14/14. Reason: spelling again
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It will be a tough year, but it's hard to beat quality time in the northern woods of MN! I like the cleansing idea - it'll lead to a stronger population in the long run.

I wonder what would happen if they started the SE MN antler restriction state-wide? I feel like something needs to change, and I'd rather see more deer with a chance at something huge vs the current policy. Spike bucks are going to take a beating this year.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
MN Dan is right on the spikes being shot. Reading outdoor new on antler point restriction is a huge debate in the editorials.

I just hope its not like the late 70's early 80's when just seeing a deer was amazing. We have been blessed with too good of hunting for a long time where meat hunters like me could freely take a doe.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I started hunting in the early 90's on the iron range where we were excited to see a deer period! If we pulled a doe permit for the crew it was a huge deal. The year my dad and I both got drawn...whoa Nelly! smile

I will hunt on my usual spot for opening weekend with the boys, but if there are no deer, I'm going to put some miles on the truck and check out some of the. Lear. It's that are new from last winter and this summer. I'll pack the climber on and go. I'll find deer, it's just tough to stop hunting where I have since HS.

MNDan, I think you're rift about the spikes taking a pounding. But I also don't mind that they do. I'll be the first to admit, if I see a spike buck when my 9 hear old boy is with me this November, we are going to try to get a shot at him. I like big horns but we eat deer as much as possible. He will go home on Sunday night with his uncle and I will be looking for racks then.

I'm hoping to have a doe in the freezer from a park hunt I got drawn for. If that happens, the young bucks are safe.

I can see both sides of the argument for apr's put the north country deer here resets itself about every decade it seems.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Your comment about doe permits brings back youthful memories.

I remember getting a highly coveter "red metal" doe tag... and I think I flexed it too many times and it broke.
Did not see any deer.

A year or two later - I remember getting my doe permit card back where they "stamped it" and mailed it back to you.
Did not see any deer either.

Sadly I remember throwing those items away when I went to school and they would have been cool memorablilia.

Now I pray we are not back to those deerless days if we have a few bad winters in a row.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Where we are, I think those days are here again for a few years. The population will come back now that there is logging again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Went out today to put up a new ladder stand but no sign.
I did find a funnel so that will help.
Deer are in agricultural fields now.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Heading out in the morning to check my cameras up by Isabella. Will know by tomorrow night if Nov. will be a cold camping trip.

In my area the APR idea would be a bad idea. It already has a very low deer pop. because they try to keep the moose healthy.

If my hot spot works I will give an update.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't filled a tag in several years now. Sure wouldn't like having to pass up a spike so the guy on the next trail over gets his 6 point next year. Really have mixed emotions on the antler restrictions. I see the reason, but really don't like the restriction. I'm hunting with T-Zone up north, and it sure looks like the herd took a pounding last winter. No doe tags, and maybe antler restrictions are the way to go. Tom did see a big bear on one of his trail cams back in where we are hunting.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Late to the party, but it looks ok around here. Like other areas, the population is down somewhat but there are still a few deer around.....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A problem with the DNR setting harvest limits is they depend to heavily on strictly mathematics of harvest numbers.

Last spring during a public meeting on deer harvest they took a pounding on the registration system. To many folks don't bother to register anymore, take more deer then allowed, wolves, etc.

Then it turns out the DNR doesn't even do a count for an area except around every 10 years or so.

How can they manage something that they never look at it from the ground or the air?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my locations are in the northern end of Pine County and the southern end of Carlton county.

While I have not seen as many deer as say 3 or 4 years ago, I am seeing plenty of deer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by big drift
A problem with the DNR setting harvest limits is they depend to heavily on strictly mathematics of harvest numbers.

Last spring during a public meeting on deer harvest they took a pounding on the registration system. To many folks don't bother to register anymore, take more deer then allowed, wolves, etc.

Then it turns out the DNR doesn't even do a count for an area except around every 10 years or so.

How can they manage something that they never look at it from the ground or the air?

I'm going to respectfully say that is the most cost effective way for the DNR to do the job because we couldn't afford to have every area of the state counted more often or flown over. Our hunting licenses fund them and can you imagine how much they would cost if we all demanded yearly surveys and paying for pilots, fuel, and more bioligist every year. DNR is one of the few user funded groups and I don't want to pay $100 for a in-state deer tag. They can only survey so much for the budget allowed so we have to wait our turn.
Can you imagine the amount of APR and other tweaking they would do if they had more data?

We have 450K hunters out the shooting about 30% so you have a lot of data being collected.
If you know of people not registering their deer - Call TIP. Clean ourselves up.

I like the new phone registration system - super easy. I wouldn't complain about the MN dnr compared to the WI dnr who uses deer stations only and they don't have the hunt data crunched when the set the next season data.

The old phrase is we don't want to get all the government we pay for, but do we really want to pay for more? And then realize wolves and weather are huge impacts. Would we really have more deer?

Afterall - the MN DnR is letting hunt timber wolves now and they take a lot of heat from the anti's for that and they contnue the hunt. They are doing something!

BTW - I don't work for the DNR. I'm just a tax payer that pays his "user fees" (hunting license) and really doesn't want to see them go up and watch more people quit hunting due to costs...

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 22WRF
my locations are in the northern end of Pine County and the southern end of Carlton county.

While I have not seen as many deer as say 3 or 4 years ago, I am seeing plenty of deer.

I drive through there weekely and you're right. When I see deer on the drive, it's in that stretch. Usually on hwy 23.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I too like the new call in system. But... I don't mind the WI system either. I never really thought it was a pain to haul them to a station. You usually pass a 1/2 dozen on the way home anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too like the new call in system. But... I don't mind the WI system either. I never really thought it was a pain to haul them to a station. You usually pass a 1/2 dozen on the way home anyway.

I like that now I can call them in, then drive home with the meat in coolers on ice. No driving the carcass around to collect road grime.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gas stations and bars hate it though... cuts down on bonus business even if it seemed like most places didn't care for the inconvenience.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whats been happening up here, is guys not tagging, not being checked, and transporting to home for butchering. There are no roadside checks, we rarely see a CO during the day, many businesses up here do like having mandatory check in stations as it increases business and also brings in folks who just like to see what has been taken.

And yes I do call in TIP.

The number of wolf tags being given out is a drop in the bucket compared to what needs to be done. Our landowner has had a pack harassing his cattle all summer, another friend lost over 73 lambs, these animals have no fear up here they are shadowing runners, kids at bus stops, etc.

I am not sure what places you have visited however I am sure the clerks probably dislike the extra traffic however the owners and locals don't seem to mind to much.

As far as your argument for flyovers for population counts. The DNR has some many sub agencies out and they do not contact them for feedback on deer populations. At least that was what the biologists at the open house said. I do know that the folks that plant new seedlings have not been approached at all.

Waiting 10 years to do an aerial count is unreasonable if they use that information for ascertaining populations, one winter can severely change the population. Last year was the worst deer hunting season we have had in decades. This year we have very few bucks being seen but a bunch of does, with no doe management going on we are going to be back where we were of 5-7 deer tags a year again in very short order.

I would much rather see point restrictions and lower doe harvest numbers then a huge surplus of does and nothing but spikes or button bucks.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The Isabella area report is in.

Average deer numbers in my area based on those seen on the cameras. We see fewer fawns this year but more bucks posed for the cameras. We also have wolves, at least 4 different ones, a bear, fox and several rabbits and other small creatures including a pine martin and a fischer.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can you post up some pics?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
On my way home last night I saw a few.
Three in my back yard when I pulled in the driveway.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Address please. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We saw deer on Sunday from north of the 35 split all the way up to Duluth. There's a couple spots on 35 you can usually count on to see deer, and they didn't disappoint.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got 10 stands firmed up this weekend and looked at the camera cards for the first time in about a month.

Something's going on down there. There's still 7-9 bucks hanging around. Got a shot of a 3 way buck fight. Highly unusual for my place.

One is a big 12. A little smaller 10, couple of 8's several 6, and a spork or two. All from 5 cameras on the 80 acres I own.

Not complaining, but it's wierd. Fingers crossed...

Wood is Good.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The population is down to about 1/4 what it was a couple years ago and half of last year where I hunt. I am picking up some bucks on the cams, but it's been a lot of years since I shot a buck.

I'll go to deer camp and hunt, but I will shoot a fawn or yearling near home where there are plenty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zero expectations on seeing something worthy of pulling the trigger in the far NE part of the state.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hope to put my cross hairs on a coyote.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hope you do too!

I have three cameras out. Two of which I've visited. I have 234 yes, that's right, 234 pictures of black bears. Those two particular cams are about 300 yards apart in a cedar swap. I guess I know where that bear lives. laugh

That area has produced a buck for someone nearly every year so I'm a bit discouraged by the pictures. I'll pull the card on the other camera this weekend I think.

Around home on a metro hunt, there are some signs of life. If found a scrape line and a few rubs on a quick scouting mission after work last night.

Last edited by tzone; 10/30/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not looking like I'll be getting up north this weekend. Had planned on a final recon mission prior to the opener, but we've got a church project on Sunday that I should attend. All the folks from church came out to our house a couple weeks back and basically did all the fall yard maintenance I wasn't permitted to do-raked out the flower beds, cleaned up the leaves, hung new gutter on the back side of the house.

This week we have a service project after church. We're fanning out across the neighborhood where our church is located and going to our neighbors houses to rake leaves for them. We do this every fall. They won't let me do anything too physical because of my recent defibrillator implant, but I feel I should go after all the suport our church members gave to us. I can run a leave blower, or run for bags, tarps, or coffee for the others. Would rater be in the woods, but this will be a good time just the same.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
GG holy cripes!. Can i get on the list for next year? I got 2.5acres lots of trees.. LOL....

Thats nice that you guys do that for people that need it.. My wifes work does the same thing in the fall...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I probably can't get the church group up that far Tom, but if you need a hand just say the word and I'm on my way. Can't do the heavy lifting, but I can rake for a while or run a leaf blower with the best of 'em.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was up in the Aikin area a few weekends ago at a friends cabin. Saw 1 bird and a few fresh deer tracks, but not much around. He normally has a handful of does come to his yard each night for some corn but none showed up while we were awake as they normally do.

Few wolves spotted in the area and one Mtn. Lion on camera recently.

Believe I'm going to head up to a families shack near Cotton the 2nd weekend of the season. Next weekend I'm headed back to SD after an archery deer.

Don't have high hopes for Cotton, but it's fun to spend some time at deer camp.

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There's ALWAYS deer in cotton man! If a guy can't get a deer we head to cotton. At least we used to. Trompped a lot of ground in cotton. I probably will on Monday of opening week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first years of hunting '86 & '87 I hunted the Cotton Shack. Think I saw one South end of a deer headed North going Mach II.

Think one year two deer were taken from 8-10 guys hunting there, but it was fun. I was back 7-8 year ago and did get my buck each of those years and saw a few other deer way to far away and in barely any light.

A good fire in the area would do wonders, at least around the area the shack is at.

The relative it belongs to is in his early 80's, but still plugging away and traveling the world hunting/fishing.

Self made millionaire, but he usually acts like he's making minimum wage. He's been using the same Browning Stainless Stalker since the late 80's. It's been rebarreled after he blew the end off of it many years ago, but I couldn't imagine how many animals it's taken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard more than a few guys talk about hunting up in Cotton. I've got to explore this area. Hoping to do some recon hunting after the opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The deer are here. Just drove back from a Wyoming hunt last night. After 10 pm (new time) the ditches between Detroit lakes and Cass lake were crowded with deer, even a few bucks. Where there are does the bucks will be soon. Hope they adopt to the new time and come out during the day!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went to a Halloween party in Wisconsin last night.
There were plenty of deer there. I scouted my property hard today and saw nothing.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I found a few MN critters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe a once in a lifetime pic?
][Linked Image]

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Da bucks are on da move too. I went to my parents cabin in WI last night and the deer were running all over. We drank beer around the fire til 1am and went in. At 130 there is a trail cam pic from the yard of a BIG ol bodied 6pt in the yard.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I've heard more than a few guys talk about hunting up in Cotton. I've got to explore this area. Hoping to do some recon hunting after the opener.

It's worth a look. There's a ton of state and county land. It gets logged pretty often so the deer hang around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Logging does make a difference. It keeps the good food - twigs - near the ground. And lets the brushy browse species do better. Much better than letting the trees get old and blow down. I had a tornado come thru 6 yrs ago. It created a tangled path the deer simply cannot get thru. I am up to one resident doe on my 40 acres, and she finally got bred last year for the first time!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by forpest
I am up to one resident doe on my 40 acres, and she finally got bred last year for the first time!

How'd Jucatch her? grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not as young and fleet as I used to be! I just got her pic on a trail cam and she was putty in my hands. .

The deer seem to be moving. Ran to Bemidji for errands, and about 4 today saw probably 15 deer - but thankfully, no contact!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I haven't seen too many dead on the road yet,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tom,

Any signs of the rut starting to ramp up, down there yet ?

Nothing up here !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I did see a few signs. I found a scrape line, a good one. Best I've seen since 09 at chicken buck when there was one literally longer than my rifle, about every 30-50 yards.

I found a few scrapes popping up, up north last weekend, and those bucks fighting on camera. Truthfully, I think all hells about to bust loose. I think the rattling horns might work well this weekend.

Last edited by tzone; 11/04/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tzone:

deer are dying on the road, saw 3 yesterday, but they are waiting to scare the bejeepers out of all the weekend hunters coming up friday night ;-) Saw a doe today running from something - I suspect a buck was harrassing her. Not in a skittish way, more like an annoyance. And she kept looking over her shoulder. I didn't spook her. I waited 5 min, but no followers showed up. Of course, an idling diesel isn't much of a stealthy deer stand.

Drove over to a neighbor's this am. Saw a scrape in a cleared area next to the road. The time is nigh!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep!! They're on the move then! Grunt, grunt rattle rattle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But, that Damn giant glowing moon! My experience is fewer deer seen when that thing is big and bright.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Concur - not a fan of the big, round nightlight in the sky.
It'll follow me to Kansas in approximately a month from now too. sick

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Found a fresh scrape line over the lunch hour, also spitting snow here today, overcast dark and gray....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw a big one on Hwy 48.
A huge eagle was sitting on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
son and I counted 5 dead on the road returning from Walker to the cities on Sunday eve.
took half a day off on Friday,hopefully be up nort before it gets dark.( I hate to take time off when season isn't open)

I went to work today(been at this place a month),and the electric billboard out front says" my stand is my other home" grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I took friday and the first week off. I have more vacation than I can ever use unless I get sick...so I burn it up when I can!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the first and second weekends off too. Hoping I don't have a tag left to fill by the third weekend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll be in northern St. Louis County on the 13th. Won't start hunting until the 15th.

I had a buddy report from a scouting trip last weekend. Said it was looking bleak, but snow on the ground.

I'm trying a new area this year. Haven't been up since 2011 due to other hunts, kids, etc. We'll see how it goes I guess. I'll hit em hard for a week anyways. Never tried the second week, don't know what I'm in for really. If it's not going on the wall, it's not getting killed!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Racks may be on the small side due to the heavy snows the last few years but we'll I guess, eh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wants some steaks,you can keep the antlers. laugh

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Checked my property Sunday mid day lots of rubs but only a couple of scrapes,Have been seeing a lot of does but no bucks.
Had two does in the back yard when I left this morning and had a narrow miss 1/2 dozen crossed in front of me a mile from the house.The corn around here is way to close to the roads.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Deer hunt time to.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fluffy

I'm all for shooting does. But we are in "bucks only" country up north Fluffy.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Either or here,Last year I could take 2.
Im hunting all week so I'll let the does walk for a few days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Checked our stands today. The bucks are scraping pretty much everywhere. Aside from some butthead stealing a ladder stand - and being dumb enuf to put his stand 40 yds away - we are good to go.

Now if they just start chasing. .

Good luck all!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you seen any chasing AT ALL yet, forpest?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dooger
Have you seen any chasing AT ALL yet, forpest?

I think that monster on the conservation area I saw this morning was on a does trail but one can never know for sure. All I know is after I passed, I slowed down and looked back and he just lowered his head and started sniffing the ground and walking away on a mission

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't seen chasing yet, but they must be starting soon. I have seen a few does moving skittishly, looking over their shoulders - maybe trying to get away from some annoying buck?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy

I'm all for shooting does. But we are in "bucks only" country up north Fluffy.

we are not in bucks only,(172)but there are only 200 doe tags in about 300 square miles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have faith Tom-we ARE gonna put some meat on the ground this weekend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pictures my friends, pictures! Supposed to be really windy on Saturday, but with all the people, they will have to move.

Good luck all!

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Have faith Tom-we ARE gonna put some meat on the ground this weekend.

Well I am. smile I don't know about the rest of you clowns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey! I resemble that remark!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Luck this morning people... The orange army is marching in MN right about now.

I happened to be in Fleet Farm in Rochester yesterday after work and can't believe the number of people fretting over what ammo to buy and a few buying guns. And than they wonder why they either can't hit anything or why they wound something and it gets away.

I'll be headed to SD for some archery hunting this evening and headed to Cotton, MN next weekend.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
There chasing,had a young buck pushing 3 does this morning he was pretty out of breath buy the time he got to me.
I let the does go and he was about 3 minuets behind them.
That's my second 1911 deer 220gr Critical Duty quartering away
double lung and broke the off side shoulder dropped where it stood.
Im pretty impressed with the round's performance out of my commander.

Last edited by iblong; 11/09/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are indeed chasing. We had 4 hunters + 4 half day hunters ( boat motor threw a connecting rod - this will be very expensive venison for me!). I fellow killed a 7 point that was 5 minutes behind four does; another fellow shot a bigger buck just before dark that was following a doe and fawn and was out of breath. No word on recovery of that deer yet. . more later - time to suit up after seeing 2 hunters off.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They are not chasing around here. We aren't seeing any deer moving where we are hunting. I've talked to guys that have seen lots of does and no bucks yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rooster - where are you? We are north of Deer River and they are going at it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have seen no sign of rut yet. We got a pile of snow so tracks will be easy to see.
whelennut

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by forpest
Rooster - where are you? We are north of Deer River and they are going at it.

In between Moorhead and DL. It's finally starting to snow today so that should help but I can't hunt now until Friday. frown

I have family by Deer River. My aunt and uncle have a place on the Mississippi

Last edited by Rooster7; 11/11/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a brief one-hour window on the opener, we had some serious rutting activity in the far NE corner of the state.

These two died within 1/2 hour of one another - 1/4 mile apart.
Neither of them mine (two members of our crew) but got in on the dragging action. grin

All was quiet after that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very nice!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is it worth my time to drive to North Central St. Louis Co on Thursday or not. I've got a 9 hour drive and enroute I'll run into areas that just got 3' of snow. Wish I lived closer. I haven't made it since 2011 due to kids and such.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if any of the roads are really still bad. We drove from the Crosslake area to the cities during the storm Monday and our normal 2 hour 45 minute drive took a shade under five hours, but it was doable.

We saw a lot of deer, but are a few hours west of there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm coming from the eastern U.P. They have 3' in areas of the WUP, Iron River WI has over 2' with more coming. Making me nervous.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Our foot of snow melted a bit but is is in the teens.
I don't see anything moving but a small buck got hit on the highway 48.
I almost stopped. Roads are cleared now.
I might sit in the house today 20 mph winds suck bad.

B
bjm Offline
B
I hunt a little north of Fosston and the bucks are chasing. We ended up getting two ok 8 pointers on the first weekend so far. Skane those are some nice bucks. Goalie, my parents and most my family live in Perham. Going back up tonight so maybe this weekend I'll run into something to shot. Good luck to the rest of you going out this weekend.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is it worth my time to drive to North Central St. Louis Co on Thursday or not. I've got a 9 hour drive and enroute I'll run into areas that just got 3' of snow. Wish I lived closer. I haven't made it since 2011 due to kids and such.

Where you headed. I'm going there too. It's worth the drive man, it's the best buck county in the state.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I beat up a 3 pt buck this afternoon.
It was 20 mph winds and blowing snow and I was not feeling fussy.
The 35 Whelen roared and the buck went down.
whelennut

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
I beat up a 3 pt buck this afternoon.
It was 20 mph winds and blowing snow and I was not feeling fussy.
The 35 Whelen roared and the buck went down.
whelennut

Bang-flop ALWAYS beats silence.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Where you headed. I'm going there too. It's worth the drive man, it's the best buck county in the state.

I've hunted it a few times, I know. But after last winter, I was unsure. Got a report from a camp up there two days ago. They usually do good. They called it "brutal" this year.

I was supposed to leave yesterday morning, but got 30" of snow. My season is over before it started. Spent 4 1/2 hours digging out yesterday. Probably another 3-4 today. Not funny anymore. It's getting old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Near Cotton right now, pretty bleak. Saw one doe this morning. Few nice tracks around, but it takes a lot of those to make a meal ;-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't bother to go down to our old camp in far North Central....we've hunted it for 50+ years and partners claim deer are very scarce and the wolves seem to have moved on. They hunted first four days and saw no deer and heard only one shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cal74
Near Cotton right now, pretty bleak. Saw one doe this morning. Few nice tracks around, but it takes a lot of those to make a meal ;-)

my brother in laws father always used to say that "tracks made damn thin soup".

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not many pics in here...did it not go well?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not many pics in here...did it not go well?

I'll post some up this weekend, phone isn't sending pics to my e-mail.

I ended up tagging a decent 4x4 buck, probably 3 1/2 years old this past Sunday near Cotton. One of two deer taken in camp during the first nine days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The three of us took three deer (two bucks and a doe) on opener weekend near Crosslake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our crew of 9 and three weekend hunters has 9 deer down so far. I'm one of the have nots, having blown a boat motor on opening day, a 4 wheeler the next day. One of the women after tagging her buck hit a doe on the way home. .

Will give it a go this weekend, and if not, smokepole season!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
821 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.