Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by captchee
you can learn fishhead . just find someone close who you can help you through.

I've been joking about this topic but I actually do have very honed skills in metal work and I am wicked good with a die grinder or Dremel tool. My first career was overhauling aircraft propellers and I've spent hundreds of hours deburring and stress relieving components with a die grinder. I know the limitations of what you can accomplish with die grinder and when other tools get the nod.

I'm pretty good with files too. That's what's used to shape the leading edge and tips of propeller blades when you refinish them.

Kudos to Juan and you. That's a very nice rifle.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Captchee,

Explain to me the difference using your logic between a .22LR and everything else.

The 22 kills just as dead and everyone else is doing it all wrong since 22 don't need cleaned but once a decade if that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MILES58
Captchee,

Explain to me the difference using your logic between a .22LR and everything else.

The 22 kills just as dead and everyone else is doing it all wrong since 22 don't need cleaned but once a decade if that.

Funny , you want me to answer a question , yet you have not answered one yet ?
Again see comparison to arguing with liberals.

I fail to see you comparison. Seems to me by your reasoning , everyone should be hunting with 300 �s or 50 cal BMG . Never mind we passed laws making it illegal to use the 50 in center fire . Now I wonder why some would want to do that ,,MMMMM???????
Do you think the 22 cannot kill ? .
I can tell you it will and it will do it nicely when used within its practical range . When I was a boy , I killed a couple mule deer and one cow elk while setting on hay stacks.
a lot of folks around here used the 22 especially poachers .
I wonder , how far do you think the 22 will travel if its happens to be un obstructed and if you miss ?

now will it allow you to set on your back pourch and shoot deer in the field behind your house , nope . But when one takes the time to learn how to use it. then works within its effective range for the attended target . its will kill just as dead .
no big bullet , no huge casing . now large recoil .
nothing to thump ones chest and proclaiming how manly it is or how far you can kill with it .
nope none of that. doesnt however make it less effective of less efficiant when used propely .....

Anyway . I would like to again thank you for supporting the very reasoning a lot of so called traditional muzzle loading hunters don�t want modern muzzle loading mixed under the premise of muzzleloader seasons
Oh and just for you . Well, not just for you as i actually shot , recorded and posted this during another such discussion, very much like this one , 2 ??? Maybe 3 years ago ?

My target
1 shot .
10X10 target
175 yards , off hand ,
54 cal flintlock, . .016 ticking . Spit lube , 80 grains 3F behind a .530 RM
[Linked Image]

Friends target
Same yardage
1 shot off hand
Same target 10x10
50 cal cap lock , .010 patch . .490 RB . Windex for Lube 90 grains 3F.
[Linked Image]

Close up
You will see 2 hits
1) the paper tag �Kims �
2) 1 inch right , I inch high ,, �Mine �
[Linked Image]

Photo to target from firing line
[Linked Image]

Photo to firing line from target
[Linked Image]

Last edited by captchee; 11/15/14.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a muzzle loader, but BP, lead, and one mile. There is a series of vids on YouTube about this shoot. It is called the Wasserburger Mile.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
outstanding DAN!!!
1 mile , in the wind , nothing but peep and still enough energy to snow flake the bullet

Last edited by captchee; 11/16/14.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm not doubting you Cap. I'm a fan of offhand shooting myself, and have probably 80% of my kills over the 6 decades i've been hunting have been offhand.

What i'm curious about is what sort of sights were you using for those 175 yd offhand shots. I assume a 6 o'clock hold so the front sight doesn't cover up the whole target? If that was the case I assume you had the gun sighted in for 175 yds so you needed no holdover.

I'm just looking for the specifics of how you did it? It's a hell of a shot at 175 yds.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BarHunter
I'm not doubting you Cap. I'm a fan of offhand shooting myself, and have probably 80% of my kills over the 6 decades i've been hunting have been offhand.

What i'm curious about is what sort of sights were you using for those 175 yd offhand shots. I assume a 6 o'clock hold so the front sight doesn't cover up the whole target? If that was the case I assume you had the gun sighted in for 175 yds so you needed no holdover.

I'm just looking for the specifics of how you did it? It's a hell of a shot at 175 yds.

Well my sights are simple traditional fixed sights . Low flat fence with V notch in the back and matching medium blade with final , on the front ,.
My rifle is sighted in for 100 yards .
Its rather hard to explain. But rather simple to show someone .
I do use a 6:00 hold. But at long distances im not aiming at the target im wanting to hit .
This type off hand shooting also inst snap shooting though at the same time you don�t want to be standing up there all day or you will start conducting an orchestra with the muzzle .

I go through a routine where I point the rifle in the air well above the target . Settle the gun into my shoulder , set the triggers , then slowly begin to drop the muzzle as I exhale.
As the front sight drops through the target . I bring the muzzle slowly back up , judging elevation and checking my sight picture ..
IE im making sure that the target im aiming at , is aligned with the target im shooting at .
Depending on how that alignment sets , I may raise an drop and raise the front sight a couple times before I fire .

Thus you don�t actually have to see the target your going to hit . It can be completely covered by the sight . The ball will drop onto the target .
Now if you shooting for string . You want the aiming target to be as small as passable
Your ability to hold on that aiming target will dictate the string of shots . So if you aim target is to big , you will then have a tendency to float and thus produce a larger string .
Does that make since ????

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes, it does. Very interesting too.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OK so that leaves us with trying to figure out distance .
IE if your distance isn�t correct you may shoot over or under .
In this case the distance was marked / known . Since I know how much drop the ball has in my rifle , I know pretty much how high I need to aim
Also I don�t trust charts . One has to IMO go out and learn their gun , so as to actually learn how their barrel throws a ball over a given distance . Once you learn that . You can then fine tune and make better judgments .
When a group of us first started doing this , we simply would go out find a hill side that had a lot of dirt or sand . We would set a target and spend the day just trying to hit it . .
Gradual more and more of us started hitting the target , so we would shoot off hand or move back farther. It doesn�t take to long and you start to get good at judging distance . Which as you know , get harder and harder the further out you get and the ball starts to slow thus drop more ..
Now someone is bound to ask what to do if there is no back drop . Well, you don�t shoot .

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by captchee
outstanding DAN!!!
1 mile , in the wind , nothing but peep and still enough energy to snow flake the bullet

On the topic of snowflake bullets...

[Linked Image]

These were taken at the shoot in the video. I've known Kenny W. for several years and competed with him out in Cody sometime back. He is a gentleman, funny as hell and a dead shot with everything I've seen him shoot. He has a friend named Terry as I recall, the two of them are known as the "Harsh Brothers". Spend an hour with them and your ribs will hurt for a week from laughing.

Just don't think that he won't take you money just because the target is a long way off.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
are those powerbelts? laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Yep, it started a few years ago. You can even use a T/C Encore in 7mm-08 during our "muzzleloader" season.

You can not use a CF pistol though during the conservation area management ML hunts. Those are ML only and traditional ML only. Depends on the area you apply to hunt.

What state is this? ML season after rifle season, and centerfire pistols permissible during ML season? Strange, to say the least.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.