-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This is just a story mostly told on myself. I ordered a McMillan stock for a Huskvarna HVA. I got it as a barreled action from an estate. Custom barrel, blue job, Win style wing safety, timney trigger, .280 AI. Well known gunsmith. Never stocked or shot. Cases perfect after test fire. Barrel looked good. Price was right, so what the heck. I want this thing to shoot so I ordered the Sako Varmint syle stock from McMillan. Very nice and helpful, covered all the details. They said they would call when they needed the action for inletting. I called a year later and they said they were waiting for the action, I said oh I was waiting for you to call. I shipped it off. I called and they said the recieved it and were evaluating it. They called a month or so later and said the price went up because the barrel was not a standard contour and they had to write a program. Another month and they called an said the tang had been custom profiled, so a new program, and that would be more also. So we are up to almost 900.00 with a rear pillar. Wow I figure, what a nice stock it will be. I wait three more months then call and they say its at the in-letting shop. I had hoped to take it Antelope hunting this year, but not to be. A couple of months later i called and talked to the original guy I ordered from and he says he will personally check on it. He called back promptly and said it is almost ready, he says shoot it as it comes to you, it is torqued and ready to go out of the box. I finally got it 16 months after ordering . A Red Dot Rush label was taped to the gun stock. Rush? It looked good except for a rash of small 1/8"-1/4" blisters in a couple of areas. Which I will keep for memories. Anyway I took it out to test fire and two holes touching, then two more touching an inch away, then two more touching an inch away, all in a nice little arc. You probably already guessed that the screws were finger tight. I just took it out and inspected the bedding area (looks Ok except no rear pillar) they probably did not have time, then torqued it down to 45 inch pounds front screw first. Have not been back to the range yet. I am hoping it is the fabled one hole rifle, but I am forever the optimist. I told you this story was about me.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Painful. I wish companies wouldn't take on work they aren't prepared to do.

I tell my guys "promise less, deliver more".

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several rifles that wear McMillans. I have yet to have ordered one from them though. All have come from various classified ads, and Stocky's Stocks. Then again, none of my rifles required a pattern that was not on the standard inlet list.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 12Oclock
This is just a story mostly told on myself. I ordered a McMillan stock for a Huskvarna HVA. I got it as a barreled action from an estate. Custom barrel, blue job, Win style wing safety, timney trigger, .280 AI. Well known gunsmith. Never stocked or shot. Cases perfect after test fire. Barrel looked good. Price was right, so what the heck. I want this thing to shoot so I ordered the Sako Varmint syle stock from McMillan. Very nice and helpful, covered all the details. They said they would call when they needed the action for inletting. I called a year later and they said they were waiting for the action, I said oh I was waiting for you to call. I shipped it off. I called and they said the recieved it and were evaluating it. They called a month or so later and said the price went up because the barrel was not a standard contour and they had to write a program. Another month and they called an said the tang had been custom profiled, so a new program, and that would be more also. So we are up to almost 900.00 with a rear pillar. Wow I figure, what a nice stock it will be. I wait three more months then call and they say its at the in-letting shop. I had hoped to take it Antelope hunting this year, but not to be. A couple of months later i called and talked to the original guy I ordered from and he says he will personally check on it. He called back promptly and said it is almost ready, he says shoot it as it comes to you, it is torqued and ready to go out of the box. I finally got it 16 months after ordering . A Red Dot Rush label was taped to the gun stock. Rush? It looked good except for a rash of small 1/8"-1/4" blisters in a couple of areas. Which I will keep for memories. Anyway I took it out to test fire and two holes touching, then two more touching an inch away, then two more touching an inch away, all in a nice little arc. You probably already guessed that the screws were finger tight. I just took it out and inspected the bedding area (looks Ok except no rear pillar) they probably did not have time, then torqued it down to 45 inch pounds front screw first. Have not been back to the range yet. I am hoping it is the fabled one hole rifle, but I am forever the optimist. I told you this story was about me.

Nice story. Now glass bed it with some Devcon 10110 or marinetex and call it a day..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They were running 7 or 8 months for Rem 700 inlet. And that's got to be their most popular.

I've heard they're getting a little more caught up. I just ordered a SA Hunter's Edge....so I guess I'll find out someday.

Still the best as far as I'm concerned. Haven't tried a Manners.....but would like to do that soon.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.