Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone have some that work well, are durable, and are narrow enough to use with long guns? Thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
BP-B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I borrowed as many brands and models of electronic earmuffs before buying - and I wore them at the range for a long time each.

For me, by far the most comfortable were the Peltor Tactical 7 model. I can wear it for 6 hours at a time and it is still comfortable (I wear glasses, and many muffs pinch the arms so much that one hour is max for most).

I don't know if Peltor still makes that model, but mine are at least 7 years old and continue to function very well in spite of quite heavy use.

They give a VERY good stereo image -- you can tell exactly where a noise is coming from. Some muffs blocked gunshots well, but when somebody shouted me name, I had to look around to find them. No so with the Peltor.

Their only possible downside is that they don't look waterproof (so I don't wear them in the rain to be on the safe side).

By the way, Peltor is a pretty dominant name in industrial hearing protection, and they have all the certifications to show they make a good product. Also, they are big company -- a friend was able to get replacement earpads for a 15 to 18-year old Peltor muff with no problem. Something to consider perhaps.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Peltor and here is a link to the type I have:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665374/peltor-tactical-pro-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-26db-black

I don't have a problem with it when using rifles or shotguns, but some might. It is nice to have in the winter since it also keeps my ears warm.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My only experience was a long time ago when they first came out. Took 2 different pair to Mt. to shoot gophers memorial day weekend and had high hopes for them, until the wind started to blow. Was like being inside a tube w/a big fan on the end, it was very uncomfortable as it magnified the sound. As far as shooting went they were fine. I use cheaper muffs but put extra foam in them (the ones from bullet boxes are good, 2 to a side). I would like to know how the new ones are in a hard wind though. Muddy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Look at the Howard Leight brand Impact Sport muff. I have and use several pair. They are quite thin and still work very well.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used a pair of Peltor 6s for the last 20 years. THe secret is to adjust the volume so there is no sound magnification. After some practice this only takes a few seconds. This makes it easy to determine where a sound is coming from.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by logger
Look at the Howard Leight brand Impact Sport muff. I have and use several pair. They are quite thin and still work very well.

My choice as well.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Who makes a set that the band goes behind the head, instead of over?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Who makes a set that the band goes behind the head, instead of over?

Peltor

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Peltor tac 6s backband. They work well enough, and can be used when wearing a hat. The NRR is a little weak for indoor ranges and running high volume matches, so I stopped using them for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

I used a Peltor 6 for many years but they started to fall apart, even got new ear cushions but they wouldn't stay on. Tried Howard Lieght and have not regretted it. The batteries last longer too. The thin Caldwell work reasonably well but are noisy.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw & imho,
The Sordin Supremes branded under MSA are nearly impossible to beat... I've owned quite a few from Pro-Ears and Peltor. Not in the same class as the Sordins...
Over the head:
https://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html
Neckband:
https://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X-Neckband.html

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw & imho,
The Sordin Supremes branded under MSA are nearly impossible to beat... I've owned quite a few from Pro-Ears and Peltor. Not in the same class as the Sordins...
Over the head:
https://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html
Neckband:
https://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X-Neckband.html

Regards, Matt.

Totally agree!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

+3

Last edited by slm9s; 10/22/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by slm9s

+3

Just used a pair on my elk hunt this past week. Worked quite well with a braked 30-06

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (117LBS, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.