Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gun season opens this coming Saturday in eastern NC - I'm going to start out with my M70FW in .270 WIN until I shoot my first deer. Then switch to either the M88/308 WIN or the M70/30-06 SPRG. With most of you gents owning several nice Winchester rifles have you decided what to hunt with yet?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That old Gerber knife goes well with that beautiful rifle!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Odessa, that's a really nice trio there. I,ve been alternating between a Mod. 70 FWT (SC-FN) IN .243 and Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather in 7MM-08 so far this year but since the Ruger has killed a buck already and the Win. hasn't, it's going until it does.
Is that 2.5-8X36's on the two bolt guns?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow I haven't seen a hunting gun look that nice before. Mine have been rode hard. I have hunted with one Winchester exclusively for the last 22 years. A 1946 transitional model 70 with a 6 power Leupold Alaskan scope. The caliber is 30-06 and it has already accounted for 2 antelope with 2 shots this year. Elk is the next target starting Saturday. Mine has some character marks from the decades of hard use here in the mountain.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
50's std. .270 win, My very first .270 ever, Ive had several friends that whitetail hunt with the .270, I have scoped and zeroed several for friends but never owner nor hunted one till now. I was diehard 30-06 and 308 for many,many years, owned several varmint cal. but was a one gun whitetail man for 30 +, my current pride and joy is the westerner in .264 win mag, I take it when I can hunt out to 4-500 yards, never killed a deer much over 300 most, 90+% have been inside 200 yards and < 215 lbs. Long story short I used to indian hunt, stalk and spot, once that big 60 rolled around I sit in my favorite tree! very best WinPoor

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

No P64 for me this year. My father gave myself and my brother each a M70 Ultra Grade 270 many years ago. My father passed away 4 years ago and my brother and I decided we're taking them hunting in honor of our father this year on a trip to Oklahoma.

When I hunt in Wiscosnsin I don't know if I'm going to use a Pre Custer 1873 Trapdoor carbine or a 8.5" suppressed 300 Black out AR. How's that for opposite ends of the spectrum?

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm using this '52 .270 standard grade on whitetail and an axis deer. 130 grain Federal factory.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 10/13/14.
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That old Gerber has never skinned a deer! I've owned it over 30 years, bought it with the idea it would be a good deer skinning knife, but I just prefer fixed blades and have plenty of them to pick from. I used a different Gerber folder once - didn't like all the gunk that I had to clean out of the blade well after cleaning the deer. The M70 bolt guns do have Leupold 2.5-8x36mm scopes (different vintages), the M88 has a Leupold Century Limited on it (3-9x40). They don't look worn, but are in pretty good shape (the M70 STD is a 1961, the other two are from 1963 - bought them all used). The M70FW was rebarreled and reblued about ten years ago; I cropped the pictures to take out the worn areas on the stocks (a little worn finish, mostly near the butt). The M88 is about 90 - 92%, up close it looks more worn. I hope we can keep this thread going; a couple of nice rifles there Reelman, especially that high grade! I always like to see what you guys own and use! Nice M70 RGK, you posted while I was (slowly) typing.

Last edited by Odessa; 10/13/14.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
Gun season opens this coming Saturday in eastern NC - I'm going to start out with my M70FW in .270 WIN until I shoot my first deer. Then switch to either the M88/308 WIN or the M70/30-06 SPRG. With most of you gents owning several nice Winchester rifles have you decided what to hunt with yet?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yep, I got my buck 2 Saturdays ago (Oct. 4). I used my trusty classic sporter 30-06. It's been cerakoted sniper grey, scoped with a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 with ballistic plex reticle. Glasss bedded securely in the factory Tupperware. It's a damn good rifle and is always one I can depend on for being accurate and dead on. It's almost effortless shooting critters with this rifle, and to think this is the one that's next in line to go on the chopping block. I'll hunt my pre 64's one of these days whistle

[Linked Image]
My Rodney Dangerfield of model 70 rifles....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 61 fwt 270 is going to NW Kansas to hunt mule deer this year.
[Linked Image]

And the model 12's including my this years acquired Black Diamond have dates with some roosters and maybe a prairie chicken or two.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
1949 .270 loaded with 140 BT's for speed goats next week. It will be the first time afield since I finished the stock:

[Linked Image]

For a backup the classic stainless in .270. Also the first time afield since finishing the stock. Don't have a really good pic of her.

[Linked Image]

When rifle season opens in Missouri, the model 71 ( it is a Browning, but I figured it was good to go):

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I am going to hunt with a new Winchester FW 7x57 and a made in 47 pre-64 M70 in 270 Win.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WOW! Great pictures of them Winchesters! Very nice!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, even the Browning 71 is nice grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now just remember to start an after the hunt thread.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image] Mod 70 264 win mag.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Winchester that interests me most this season is going for one last chance tomorrow.

If it's first shot and subsequent check shot is not on at 200 yds then I will put it aside in favor of others.

It's a custom 300 Win mag on a pre-64 action shooting the Nosler 150 gr Combined Tech. bullet over Varget.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My son took his first deer last weekend during the WI youth deer season. Ned Roberts and Jack O'connor smiled, as he harvested the deer with a 1951 model 257 Roberts. It had an old Weaver K4, which I upgraded to a vortex 1-4. I wish I could post The pics. I only hope some day he realizes how special of a hunt he had.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Now that is to cool!!!

Awesome Bobber. Just awesome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The M70 300 Win. did not stay sighted in at 200 yds today. The first shot hit 3" low from a cold barrel, the second also was 3" low for a 2" 'group'. Not good.

My favorite, the 30-06 Hiptmayer put two 155 VLD's where I want them at 200 yds.

For rain the 7mm WSM Montana put two 168 VLD's into 1/2" at 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Collectively we own a helluva collection of Winchesters - anyone else hunting with a Winchester this season?

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There isn't a Whitney Kennedy forum, so I will include it in the Winchester forum. This is an original SRC in 45-60. I hope to get a shot with it this fall...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel, you ALWAYS have the coolest firearms - nice!

Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Collectively we own a helluva collection of Winchesters - anyone else hunting with a Winchester this season?

Well, no one has asked about elk season. Should we start another thread? grin. Here are my dedicated elk hunting rifles:

Alaskan:
[Linked Image]

Model 71:
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]

I love that rifle. It kinda reminds me of my 270..

BSA MAGA
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice BSA! I'd say anything we hunt, from squirrels to moose - the Winchester firearm belongs in this thread.

Archibald Rutledge

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice BSA! I'd say anything we hunt, from squirrels to moose - the Winchester firearm belongs in this thread.

squirrels to moose? I got that covered:

L to R : 22 hornet, 243 standard, 270win, 300H&H, 338wm ,and 375H&H...

[Linked Image]

And thats just the pre 64''s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Damn, now it's squirrel to moose. My only rifle that fits that bill is my CZ 550 American and that's not a Winchester. It is a 9.3x62mm though and it thinks it's a varmint rifle. I tried convincing it otherwise with this cow, but it still has some strange ideas:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

grin

Odessa is right though. Collectively we have some damn nice rifles guys. Keep them coming!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From small to big game.

22 Hornet
257 Roberts
270 Winchester
30-06
And a 220 Swift...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 10/15/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My old Alaskan is going to Oregon for elk

[Linked Image]

Along with the 35 Newton

[Linked Image]

My son will be toting his 7x57

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Nice Scotty! Very Nice. Sure do hope the Alaskan speaks again and the 7x57 gets a taste.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
My old Alaskan is going to Oregon for elk

[Linked Image]

Along with the 35 Newton

[Linked Image]

My son will be toting his 7x57

[Linked Image]

Top notch right there..

BSA MAGA
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Took my 7mm Classic out a few weeks back for mule deer. It might see some more use if I make a run up to northern MI later this season, but we'll see.

[Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 1894 SRC in 25 35 built in 1906.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]

Its nice to see a man with a truck that had to work for a living. Most pickup get no further than the closest Walmart parking lot. Some of my guns look like your pickup after a few seasons here in the mountains.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This one

[Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle gitem... Hunt the heck out of it!!! Let us know how it shoots as well. If you want the trigger pull down to about 2.5 pounds look ernie the gunsmith up:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i174.html

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Out of the box the trigger broke at 3.6 pounds, very crisp with no travel, i think I can live with that

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
While I don't mind heavy rifles as you well know. I hate heavy triggers.. Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M64 in 30-30 w/Lyman receiver sight. Should've kilt something with it over the past two seasons. Gonna make it happen this year fer sure.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread guys. What else are you guys using???

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by dubePA
M64 in 30-30 w/Lyman receiver sight. Should've kilt something with it over the past two seasons. Gonna make it happen this year fer sure.

You've inspired me! Think I'll do the same!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The M70 300 Win. did not stay sighted in at 200 yds today. The first shot hit 3" low from a cold barrel, the second also was 3" low for a 2" 'group'. Not good.

say what?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

say what?

He said
He's a [bleep] moron, that has no idea what he is doing. And isn't sure whether he is too lim wristed to competently shoot a 300 Win Mag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

say what?

The bullet should be about 1.5"-2" high at 100yards, zero at 200 and about 7" low at 300yards. He is trying to flatten out trajectory by using 200yrd zero instead of 100 yard zero.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have been recovering from shoulder surgery, if I can get out this year I'm going to give the 1953 .308 Featherweight a try.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sure is a beauty. You need to put a McMillan with a 1" pachmayr on that rifle and it will soak up that recoil very well and be easier on the shoulder. That sure is a clean fwt. Very nice!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
'51 Supergrade 30-06

[Linked Image]

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice Augie, I've got nearly the same rifle, a 1953 M70FW in 308 WIN. I don't hunt this one, it has a vintage Redfield peepsight and I can barely see through a scope early/late! Very nice Supergrade FRST. Odessa

[Linked Image]

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Both whitetails and Moose I use my 1957 vintage Winchester 94 in 32 spec. with my 177 gr hardcast bullets.
Doc.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
How many moose have you killed with that combo?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
And the silence was pregnant....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slept 12 hours, didya?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Almost! Missed it by 2 minutes!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Only 4 as I will not shoot a calf and I have had to let many a cow go by that I could have easily downed except I have never been fortunate enough to draw a cow tag .
You know I have never felt undergunned while some of my buddies have to carry the latest super magnum and factory fodder to match.

regards
Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tdn
Took my 7mm Classic out a few weeks back for mule deer. It might see some more use if I make a run up to northern MI later this season, but we'll see.

[Linked Image]

Cool pic, neat looking country

Rifle looks pretty slick too.... Grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually most of the rifles posted here would be fun to hunt with.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
To give the pre 64's a rest break I have been playing with 2 7STW Laredos out to 500, it is almost to easy, I found a case of Fed Prem 160 gr, accubombs and 2 boxes of 140 gr rem core locs to have the brass so as to reload, the factory shoots so good I may not reload. One gun is BOSS, the recoil less ,I have not tuned with the BOSS yet,I just set it half way and shot away, the non BOSS gun is a tad tighter shooting as of now. I will post photos.these guns are not walking guns, heavy truck axle barrels! I have a custom shop sporting sharpshooter on the way home from Oregon45 that has a smaller Schneider barrel that will be a little lighter,handier. If the gun shoots like the other custom shop guns I have worked with it will be a nail driver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

25-35 takedown...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday
Only 4 as I will not shoot a calf and I have had to let many a cow go by that I could have easily downed except I have never been fortunate enough to draw a cow tag .
You know I have never felt undergunned while some of my buddies have to carry the latest super magnum and factory fodder to match.

regards
Doc

Sooooo, curious....Ive shot a number of deer with hard cast bullets and was pretty much underwhelmed. They always worked, but worked like what they are, solids. Do you try for brain or CNS shots or shoot through the heart and lungs and wait for the bullet to do its work?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hopefully this one. 1895 .405. It's inbound now to my dealer so I won't have it for another week. Time to hunt for ammo.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Hopefully this one. 1895 .405. It's inbound now to my dealer so I won't have it for another week. Time to hunt for ammo.

[Linked Image]

Did you say hunt the Alamo, or owe my shoulder is going to hurt?? whistle

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If only they had these at the Alamo..... with lots of ammo!
I put a box of factory Hornady through a Browchester .405 high wall with the crescent butt a couple years ago and didn't find it too bad (or I forgot). The shotgun butt on this one should help and I use a slip on pad for range use with my hard butt/hard kickers.
I'm pretty pumped to get it, it's been my "Holy Grail" Winchester for quite awhile.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool tmitch. Looks extremely clean and well cared for. Keep us posted on that one..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe just maybe we can stop talking about "hard cast bullets" and start a thread in some other section far away so we can get back to what Winchester we are hunting with this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good find! Ya gonna change yer Campfire handle to troosevelt at some point in the future?

smirk

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

[Linked Image]

Well done!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

25-35 takedown...

[Linked Image]

I like that!

Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BSA
Well, I got my fingers crossed. I took a chance that everything's "right" about it but you never know till it's in your hands. A couple things look a little questionable, however I paid "shooter" price so I'm sure I'll be okay with it from what I've seen.

dubePA
Not gonna change my handle, but I do blame TR for this one! There's no season here for lions so I'll try and see if it's a "medicine gun" for scrawny whitetails! crazy

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty .405.

We can thank Hornady for giving us affordable brass, bullets and ammo. Ammo and components are out there and it doesn't take a max load to kill a deer (or just about anything else).

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Yowza! That is a beaut, I don't have any 95's and haven't for a number of reasons, but that would be a reason to get one...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same as always, the Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yowza! That is a beaut, I don't have any 95's and haven't for a number of reasons, but that would be a reason to get one...

Thanks Shrapnel. Coming from Mr. "I-have-more-cool-rifles-than-Carter-has-liver-pills" that's quite a compliment! I hope it lives up to my expectations when I get it. (I say that out of jealousy)^^

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

After I saw your rifle, I started looking for an octagon 38-72 or 40-72. I wouldn't mind getting a nice 1895 in one of those calibers. 405 wouldn't be bad either, but I would still prefer the 38 or 40...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I looked at few .40-72s including a nice flat side pistol grip, but the ones in my price range had toasted bores. There's a decent .40 on Gunbroker now, you've probably seen it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448656286

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at few .40-72s including a nice flat side pistol grip, but the ones in my price range had toasted bores. There's a decent .40 on Gunbroker now, you've probably seen it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448656286

No reason to overpay. B.C. Miroku made some for Winchester and Browning in cals: .405, .30-06 and possibly some others. Prices used to be around $1000 though I think they have risen some in not so distant past. Another neat one I have seen had short tubular magazine and was chambered for fat rimmed cartridge called .348. Different model but still very nice Japanese rendition of old Winchester classic.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Made in Japan" stamped on the barrel of a classic lever gun makes me wanna puke.

JMO YMMV

Charter Member

szihn

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
"Made in Japan" stamped on the barrel of a classic lever gun makes me wanna puke.

JMO YMMV

Yep, makes me sick too. I will be hunting with a S.C. made model 70 in .270 WSM. Love that gun!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6 digit 30-06 classic sporter cerakoted sniper grey, 4.5-14x42 Burris FFII in medium Talley lightweights, brown stone painted glass bedded factory Tupperware stock, 1" decelerator recoil pad and it shoots better than I do:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Excuse the crappy pictures. Taken with my Garmin Oregon 550..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been shooting deer with this old M70 30 Gov't O6 for nearly 30 years. It was give to me by my grandfather before he died. He won it in a big buck contest in the 30's with a 38 3/4" wide Mule deer buck. I keep trying to live up to that standard but this is all I could muster this year.
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great picture Centershot! Cool rifle too.

Load?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
56gr H4350, Hornady SST 180gr. Not too sure about the Hornady SST's. That buck was quartering away at about 50-60 yards, I hit him mid way up a couple ribs from the back. The bullet made a hole about the size of your fist on the way in and no exit. I think it acted like a varmint bullet on impact. That is the third animal I have shot with SST's with similar results. I think I'm going to switch to 165gr Nosler Partitions. I like the way the Partions work on deer and elk. But, the plastic tip bullets are nice as the rounds in the magazine tend to move on recoil and flatten out the points. It does not seem to affect accuracy but looks like it should. It sure seems to me that about any 180gr bullet should punch 2 holes in a deer. Certainly not my experience with the SST's. I suppose I have a few months to decide.

Last edited by centershot; 10/29/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Or maybe this...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.50-110?

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is a 40-65 marked "Browning Bros, Ogden, U.T."

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice Shrapnel! Do you have a tunnel into the Cody museum?? You sure pull out some incredible stuff! I figured the way that buck's folded up he got wacked with a .50

Charter Member

szihn

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Not going deer hunting this year,but will be hunting bear in 10 days.

Going to take either one of these as a spare.

Winchester M 70 Featherweight 7x57 and a 2.5x Leupold scope. Loaded with 160 gr Sierra GK's.

[Linked Image]

Or this FN Mauser .270 Winchester,it has a 3-9x Leupold and loaded with 150 gr NP.
[Linked Image]

Of course,being a rifle looney,these choices will most likely change. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
C
This is what I will be carrying. 1951 vintage 94 chambered in 30-30.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice 94. My elk hunting partner uses an old 94 ('49 vintage) when we know we will be hunting the "thick stuff". When he grabs his pistol or his old 94, I know where we will be going that day sick

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1950 30-06 with Stith Bearcub scope, Montana mule deer...

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Packing my model 1892 in 45 Colt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Took a doe last week with my 1963 M88 308WIN.

Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
plan on using a 1910 401wsl

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A 1955 Winchester model 70 in 30-06 topped with a vintage Weaver K4 60B for my woods hunting and a model 70 XTR circa 1980 in 264 Win Mag for open fields topped with a leupold vari-x IIc 4-12

The new fads of tactical firearms and matte black finishes doesn't appeal to me, give me a well made classic rifle with beautiful blue and well figured walnut and I'm satisfied to have a rifle with a soul
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
For mn whitetail I'm using my 1957 .270 fwt.
[Linked Image]
and for montana mule deer next week it will be my semi-custom M70 280 AI
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M70 257R shot show special

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really enjoying the great rifles in this thread.

I decided to pull this '57 270 standard rifle out of mothballs this year to hunt with.

I like standard rifles they are so classic looking but it will never replace my featherweights as my favorite hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1911a1; 11/22/14.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FN made 30-06 with 24" sporter barrel. Wearing my favorite stock and scope!

No luck tonight but it was fun anyways.

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally scored some meat with her this morning!!!

[Linked Image]

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's great! I take it a deer or hog.
went to your knife site. you make very nice well crafted knives.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great thread. Not sure how I missed it until now.

I'm mostly slummin' my M70 Classic 280AI that Redneck put together for me back in February. Two shots, two kills so far.

[Linked Image]

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What scope is on that beauty?

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
VX3 LR, 4.5-14X40

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great scope! I really like my VX3 3.5-10x40.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.