Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Bugger
I didn't think he was that bad a guy. I gotta admit that at one time I didn't think I'd be using a black rifle for hunting.

For instance, I've never used my M1 for hunting, only targets / competition.

Today black rifles are very popular for hunting such things as wild hogs.

One family of my cousins all started off with semi-auto 22's. My siblings and I started out with single shots. When we hunted together they would shoot more than 10x more ammo than what we would shoot. But we'd end up with rabbits or squirrels and they didn't.

I could see the philosophy of being against semi-auto's for hunting just based on my started out.

Zumbo seemed to be primarily an elk hunter and used bolt action rifles. I suspect that a great majority of elk hunters use bolt guns.

An AR-15 was only available in 223 at the time and I thought he said that he could see no hunting purpose with black guns.

I didn't recall him saying that black guns were only good for killing people. If he did, shame on him.

Again, at the time I thought of black rifles as target and home defense. The AR-15's I had seen back then were not accurate enough for prairie dogs and not in my opinion powerful enough for deer with the bullets available then.

He should have thought a little before he dissed the black rifles though. Home defense is as valid or more so a reason for having a rifle as hunting, IMO.

One last thing. If you live in the rural west as many of us do, we really don't feel the need for slef protection from humans as much as people in more populated areas.

As far as Jane the bitch Fonda goes, I was in USMC 69-72. You can't imagine what I think of that whore. She should have gone to the electric chair or some other means of capital punishment, IMHO!

Here is what he said. He deserved ten times the beating he took for his idiotic, elitist statements. FUJZ

On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:
Originally Posted by Jim Zumbo
I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.[2]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I only recall him saying AR's were not hunting guns. I don't remember anything about how no one should own them or anything like that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The part that bothers me more was how several writers for the "Big Magazine" came to his defense and were never called on it for saying they agreed with him.

Bill McRae is the first that comes to mind. I have never been impressed by him and have first hand experience. I despise JZ, and BM runs right tight behind him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks oulufinn for making it clear. Whenever a person says something like "the guns I own are the only guns people should own" they are cutting their own throat.

I don't own a drilling therefore no-one should own a drilling.

I don't own a fully automatic AK-47, therefore no-one should own one and so forth.

I was a member for a different forum where the head moderator made some stupid a$$ comment like that, I've never been back after I wiped out all my threads. Don't even have their WEB address anywhere.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:
Originally Posted By: Jim Zumbo
I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.[2]"

Zumbo made an ass of himself on a blog. This isn't a Capital crime. Just a good reason to not buy whatever he's promoting so he'll retire from writing and TV

Last edited by idahoguy101; 10/16/14.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for posting the quote to clear things up. I didn't recall the AK's being lumped in there. Or the reference to terrorists.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In all fairness to Jim, a couple of points to consider...

First, a lot of hunters of his age held similar views at the time, and many, I suspect, only changed their views after seeing the immense backlash against his ill-advised comments.

Secondly, as part of his "rehabilitation," he spent a lot of time doing good things for wounded veterans, and he should be commended for that. I think many people in his situation would have just thrown in the towel.

I'm certainly not an apologist for Jim, but I take issue with the knee-jerk "hang 'em from the highest tree" condemnations. Thankfully, we have the freedom in this country to admit our mistakes and reinvent ourselves, regardless of age.

That's something I'm sure many here have done for themselves at one point or another in their lives -- or some day may have to do -- and that's worth remembering.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hated to see Jim Zumbo post that on his blog and then the "burning at the stake" that followed soon after. He made a big mistake and he soon apologized as best he could in the "poisoned well" atmosphere that was his readership.

I've met Jim several times at Sportsmans shows and a couple gun shows in the area and he was a really nice guy and easy to talk to. Never got the feeling he put himself above anyone, but that is just me.

It's been enough time, IMHO. Time to forgive and forget.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Up until then, my only experience with an AR type rifle was the M16 in basic training in 1970...and that experience wasn't good. The rifle never did fit me right and I couldn't shoot it well. I only qualified Marksman which wasn't too good for someone who'd been shooting for 10 years. We also had to qualify with the M14 and I got expert with my eyes closed. The rifle fit me much better and was more accurate.
When Zumbo talked about the AR not being a hunting rifle, from my experience I had to agree. I wouldn't hunt with a gun that I couldn't hit with.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Zumbo is a conservative Yankee, or as I like to call them, LIBERAL

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I never cared for his show, especially his "cooking".

That might have been the only good part of the show. He didn't get to be a fat pffhukk by eatin healthy.

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 10/18/14.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My dad had pretty much said the same things.........I dint hate him for his "out dated" opinions, and neither do I hate Zumbo for his.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get pretty tired of the ninja wanna-a-be dorks. Have a mortgage broker acquaintance back home that goes to TAC schools, three gun shoots and tries to pass himself off to everyone as a cop/.mil guy. He's completely full of [bleep].

Seems every prior service Army guy was a Ranger/SF, Marines were all Recon/Sniper, Air Force were PJs, Coast Guard was Rescue Diver and the Navy guy was always a SEAL. Bar talk gets old fast.

I grew up around all red neck hunters who were all prior mil. Logger, police officer, lumber mill worker types. A lot of them thought only criminals packed pistols and white supremacist types packed military weapons. Most "hunters" that packed semi autos were city dudes that couldn't shoot. These guys worked hard, and considered themselves "conservative" Republican/Libertarian/Constitutional Americans.

I'm very happy with the growth of the firearm industry, seems everyone has an AR and a couple pistols whether they hunt or not. The shear numbers alone have given the Second Amendment a big boost over the last decade.

Zumbo was an idiot for being a professional writer and not knowing his audience, not being up to date with his profession and not thinking about the consequences of his anti Second Amendment statement.

And his show sucked.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Father in Law said the exact same things about AR's and AK's as Zumbo did. I never hated him for it either.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Conservative Yankees

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i thought it was quite funny that right after zumbo got reamed out of his career, every gray haired old goat gun writer (like dick metcalf) was writing stories about how great the ar platform was for hunting. zumbo just put into print what a lot of older guys thought and got thrown to the wolves for it.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
i thought it was quite funny that right after zumbo got reamed out of his career, every gray haired old goat gun writer (like dick metcalf) was writing stories about how great the ar platform was for hunting. zumbo just put into print what a lot of older guys thought and got thrown to the wolves for it.

And as I pointed out earlier several older writers stuck their necks out to back JZ and were never taken to task for it... They are the true vermin in this case.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Aren't you glad that we live in a free country where any citizen, even Jim Zumbo, can speak his mind without fear of reprisal?

NOT!

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I met Zumbo at a RMEF banquet in the spring of 1996. I had hunted and shot a mtn goat the previous fall and it was really good eating , the grind really made a great chili. Not many people ever get to try exotic fare like that so I ask the RMEF guys if I could bring some to the banquet and offer up samples of mtn goat chili to the members, they ok'ed that. The GFP said you can't sell it by the bowl but if people wanted to make a charitable contribution it would be ok. Jar for donations on the table, Zumbo the guest speaker walks by and stops, he asks me about the goat and I shared the details as well as a sample of goat chili which he really liked. We traded hunt details and what load I used then he moved on to mingle with the crowd. The caterer for the banquet didn't have enough servers and a lot of folks got their meal cool at best,mine was ok but some to quite a few weren't happy. I finished mine and moved back to my table with the chili on it. Yeah here comes Zumbo and he asked if I had any left, he had a hard time getting thru his cold meal. I pulled out a bigger bowl, filled it and handed it to him. He thanked me and put some more cash in the jar. The jar yielded #180+ for the Elk Fdn. I think they ordered pizza with it for their volunteers and commitee after the banquet, not exactly what I raised the money for. Zumbo made his career killing error in 07 and he has paid the price for it. I think most of us see that, he has been held far more accountable for his uninformed judgement of AR's than all the sh*t Obama, Reid, Pelosi and others ever have done to us tax paying bonafide American citizens. Time to leave off on guys like Zumbo and Metcalf they paid for their stupidity, it's time to hold sh*t brained politicians for theirs. Magnum Man

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It wasn't just the condemnation of the AR that killed Zumbo's career! His ego got so much bigger than most folks would put up with. In the months leading up to the AR comments he also did articles stating that no one needs scopes with higher magnification than the 3 to 9 he was using and that manufacturers should quit producing them!

Zumbo reminds me of Osama Obama in a way! He elected himself God of all things gun and hunting related and that all should follow blindly his eidct's! He killed his own career and I don't feel sorry for him at all!

I do agree with Magnum Man! If we could kill the emperor's career as quickly and easily as we did Zumbo's I'd be a happy camper and the country could start it's healing process.

Zumbo's comment seemed to hit the internet on a Friday night (if I remember correctly). That AR15.com (Not a member, just stooped by to see what it was about) got wind of it and called for a "Fire Mission"! Almost instantly thousands of AR owners flooded Zumbo's sponsors with hate mail and promises to never use their products again! By Monday morning, Mr Zumbo's career was over! WHY THE HELL CAN"T WE DO THE SAME TO OSAMA OBAMA!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.