Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I met Zumbo at a RMEF banquet in the spring of 1996. I had hunted and shot a mtn goat the previous fall and it was really good eating , the grind really made a great chili. Not many people ever get to try exotic fare like that so I ask the RMEF guys if I could bring some to the banquet and offer up samples of mtn goat chili to the members, they ok'ed that. The GFP said you can't sell it by the bowl but if people wanted to make a charitable contribution it would be ok. Jar for donations on the table, Zumbo the guest speaker walks by and stops, he asks me about the goat and I shared the details as well as a sample of goat chili which he really liked. We traded hunt details and what load I used then he moved on to mingle with the crowd. The caterer for the banquet didn't have enough servers and a lot of folks got their meal cool at best,mine was ok but some to quite a few weren't happy. I finished mine and moved back to my table with the chili on it. Yeah here comes Zumbo and he asked if I had any left, he had a hard time getting thru his cold meal. I pulled out a bigger bowl, filled it and handed it to him. He thanked me and put some more cash in the jar. The jar yielded #180+ for the Elk Fdn. I think they ordered pizza with it for their volunteers and commitee after the banquet, not exactly what I raised the money for. Zumbo made his career killing error in 07 and he has paid the price for it. I think most of us see that, he has been held far more accountable for his uninformed judgement of AR's than all the sh*t Obama, Reid, Pelosi and others ever have done to us tax paying bonafide American citizens. Time to leave off on guys like Zumbo and Metcalf they paid for their stupidity, it's time to hold sh*t brained politicians for theirs. Magnum Man

^Good post.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dawaba
Aren't you glad that we live in a free country where any citizen, even Jim Zumbo, can speak his mind without fear of reprisal?

NOT!

Not sure I understand where you are trying to go... It is obvious anyone can say almost anything they want and Zumbo did... What is equally obvious is there are consequences to any act and there should be.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"Zumbo was an idiot for being a professional writer and not knowing his audience, not being up to date with his profession and not thinking about the consequences of his anti Second Amendment statement."

thats a fair statement of fact

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just back from killing deer with a black gun. A guy that respects the second amendment doesn't just hunt and write about it I was not talking about hunting I was speaking of the right to bear arms that has nothing to do with hunting. If you think different I am sad for you.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Many years ago, Zumbo gave me a Jim Zumbo game call. That season I called in a 6 point Bull with it. However, it was Deer (not Elk) season. Based on that experience, I think Zumbo was a very confused person.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by baltz526
Zumbo Is just a guy that hunts then writes about it. If you have an Issue with the guys past, It is your flaw in thinking. There are lots of different types of Slobs, Some of you are the worst type. Back Biters.

I have an issue with Jane Fonda's past too. If she should take up writing about the outdoors, am I supposed to forget how she betrayed American POWs?

I don't think there is anything even remotely approaching a moral equivalence between Zumbo's unpopular gunny remarks and Jane Fonda's consorting with an enemy we were at war with. Now we are talking "traitor" in the true sense of the word. Yet, if she'd be remorseful and apologize, I could forgive her.

Zumbo? Who here has not made some poor judgement in the past and later recognized and accounted for it?; and changed their mind and opinion? He is not a traitor; he was unlucky enough to voice a very unpopular opinion (and a wrong one I might add) from his soap box, paid for it, and changed his mind.

No need to "eat our own."

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
First let me say that I agree completely that Hanoi Jane is on the far end of the spectrum as far as the seriousness of the betrayal.

Like others have already said, it is good that we live in a country where a man can say whatever may be on him mind. That man just has to realize that there may be repercussions for those words. Words being like bullets, we can't bring them back.

I also agree that there is no need to "eat our own". That statement should go both ways, however. If he hadn't turned against those who see a need for an AR, he wouldn't have found himself simmering in the cook pot.

Finally, it is important to remember the lessons about the difference between forgiving and forgetting. I can forgive Zumbo, though there is really no need, I don't hold that kind of animosity toward the man. I just can't forget that he voiced an opinion that I feel runs afoul of my 2nd amendment rights.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Zumbo Is just a guy that hunts then writes about it. If you have an Issue with the guys past, It is your flaw in thinking. There are lots of different types of Slobs, Some of you are the worst type. Back Biters.

I have an issue with Jane Fonda's past too. If she should take up writing about the outdoors, am I supposed to forget how she betrayed American POWs?

Not even CLOSE to the same thing. I didn't mind Zumbo's writing. I don't think I ever saw his show. I don't really even care that he doesn't like AR's, but he chose the wrong way to express it considering what he does/did for a living. I don't know him personally, but he's probably not a bad guy.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I met him once. He didnt seem arrogant at all. We shared a few hours conversation during a layover in Minneapolis. This was pre foot in mouth comment. He seemed like a reg guy. I mean hes no Milek or Wooters.

Did the same thing with Boddington too one time. Friendly guy.

Joseph
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RMEF has exhumed Zumbo recently and been printing some of his articles in Bugle.
Not sure why.
Bugle has many other far more talented writers that would be a better use of their pages.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A mistake is putting on 2 different colored socks, Zumbo stabbed gun owners in the back. I could forgive him for the socks, but the gun statement hurt the whole hunting/outdoor industry.

Zumbo can cook all he wants and sell cookbooks and aprons, but he should never make another dime off the outdoor industry...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Anybody that thinks semi-automatic weapons should be banned from the field for sporting purposes is an absolute fugging moron.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I see you're from Oregon...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
WTF is up with people from Oregon?

They must program them or something...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i bought his book on cooking venison years ago. fwiw, i could come up with better recipes and a better book and i am border line retartid.

My diploma is a DD214
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Zumbo shows were not exciting though he spent a few years hosting hunts with wounded vets and displayed a come to Jesus attitude towards black guns after 'the incident'. I don't know if the problem was his gun error or plodding, witless shows. His presentation would not elicit interest in an apple pie.

OTOH, had he incorporated Col Travis into the mix the show would probably be flying high.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
586 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.