Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ai, Caramba !

GTC

Mexican activist slain during radio broadcast

link: http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-activist-slain-during-radio-broadcast-152855730.html

MEXICO CITY (AP) � Two gunmen shoved their way into a radio studio and opened fire on a local activist, killing him while he was broadcasting, prosecutors in the Mexican state of Sinaloa said. It was the first on-air killing in recent memory in Mexico.

Listeners heard the gunshot that killed Atilano Roman Tirado, who had a weekly radio program as well as leading a group of farm families displaced by a dam.

"On air you could hear when the shot is fired, and then one of the co-workers is heard saying, 'Oh no, he killed him, he killed him,'" station director Sergio Ontiveros said Monday.

"That is when the transmission cut off ... The station operator dove to the floor and kicked out the master" cable, Ontiveros said.

The Fiesta Mexicana station in the Pacific coast city of Mazatlan was off air for about a half hour, and was operated remotely over the weekend before resuming normal operations on Monday morning.

Roman Tirado was a leader of about 800 families demanding compensation for being displaced by the Picachos dam.

In past years, the movement had staged blockades and protest marches, which had resulted in some arrests. Ontiveros said Roman Tirado focused on the land dispute and other news in his program, "Asi es mi Tierra" � roughly "That's how my land is."

"He was militant in his commentaries, he was critical, very critical," Ontiveros noted. "His situation almost demanded that of him."

Sinaloa state prosecutors said two men walked into the station Saturday and asked for Roman Tirado. One of the men waited outside the studio where Roman Tirado was broadcasting while the other walked into the studio and shot him.

"They violently forced their way in," Ontiveros said. "They asked for Atilano. The receptionist said he was there and said if they waited, she would tell him they wanted to see him," Ontiveros said. "But they pushed open the door and forced their way in to the studios."

The assailants hit another employee with the butt of a pistol, then shot Roman Tirado in the head and in the chest with a 9 mm pistol. He died later at a local hospital.

Sinaloa Gov. Mario Lopez Valdez said that the killing would not go unpunished, but officials had reported no arrests on Monday. State prosecutor Marco Antonio Higuera said the station offices did not have security cameras that might have recorded the killing.

Roman Tirado's movement had become somewhat less active over the last couple of years, and he had ventured into other lines of business. But, at its height, the movement had reported receiving telephone death threats against its leaders. In an article from 2010 posted on the movement's web site, a female leader said she had received a telephone call saying orders had been issued to kill her, Roman Tirado and two other leaders. It was not clear who made the threat.

The government gave houses to people whose villages were flooded by the construction of the Picachos dam, which started in 2006. However, the dwellings were tiny, shack-like structures.

Attacks on radio stations are rare in Mexico, though print journalists and photographers have frequently been the victims of attacks and killings.

According to the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists, 75 journalists and media workers have been killed since 1992; the vast majority worked as reporters or editors for print media.

Ontiveros, who is also the director of the Sol de Mazatlan newspaper that shares a building with Fiesta Mexicana, said "as a media organization, we are demanding an end to this type of violence, these types of attacks, that threaten our safety as journalists."

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They can fix schitt for the poor with another revolution the way sac and nwa are hoping for in the USA.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"It was the first on-air killing in recent memory in Mexico."

This needs no further comment.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
"It was the first on-air killing in recent memory in Mexico."

This needs no further comment.

Pretty BIZARRE watching our politicos posture with Mex politicos, all pretentious and puffed up with assurances that things are, "Getting Better".

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hmmm,,, thought owning a 9mm ( parabellum, I speculate) was illegal in Mexico!?!?

WAIT,,,,,, THIS JUST IN!!! I bet shooting folks who are broadcasting live on the radio is too!!!!

What they need down there is a more common sense approach to gun control and radio station security.

This stuff just keeps getting better!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ballsy move

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Mexican govt may well have been the killer. It hasn't been that long ago since they (mex. govt) slaughtered farmers protesting for land reform.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
The Mexican govt may well have been the killer. It hasn't been that long ago since they (mex. govt) slaughtered farmers protesting for land reform.

safe bet,....

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Happened 30 years ago right here in Colorado:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Berg

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/13/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hmmm,,, thought owning a 9mm ( parabellum, I speculate) was illegal in Mexico!?!?

WAIT,,,,,, THIS JUST IN!!! I bet shooting folks who are broadcasting live on the radio is too!!!!

What they need down there is a more common sense approach to gun control and radio station security.

What those people need is to grow cojones and take back their country instead of wandering up here and then bravely demanding "their rights" from our country. There is something genetically wrong in a culture that accepts death and terrorism from within their own and never fights back.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

What those people need is to grow cojones and take back their country instead of wandering up here and then bravely demanding "their rights" from our country. There is something genetically wrong in a culture that accepts death and terrorism from within their own and never fights back.

Same culture that accepted the priest cutting the hearts out of their family members for how long?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is something genetically wrong in a culture that accepts death and terrorism from within their own and never fights back.

Dunno if it's genetics, but it is bizarre and fair close to suicidal.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But, but they have tough gun laws. Lots tougher than ours.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Ain't gonna happen 'cause they don't know how and don't care. The ones who are preaching the loudest for their rights are the bolshies who are citizens right here in this country. The last revolution they had was a series of corrupt generals and officials duking it out with other corrupt corrupt generals and officials.

Porfiro Diaz kept the peace with an iron hand. Madero was prolly the most honest of the revolutionaries, but he lasted mere months as president. We won't even talk about Carranza, Huerta, Obregon, (all assassinated one way or the other). And every single leader in their shadow has been corrupt. It's a corrupt society seeped in tribal traditions. Barbarous and cruel.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/14/14.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sorry I forgot to turn sarcasism icon off from my original post last night! smile

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
GAWD I wish they'd do this on MSNBC namely Phyllis Bennis KOTY. Election night would be spectacular too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Who else would have had anything to lose in a case of eminent domain?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

They fight back some.

The fact that the Mexican Police don't pay near what the cartels do has a lot to do with the outcome. You have to wonder how sincere even those anti-cartel police are down there though. They don't seem to be putting a dent in it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A nation seeped in "la Mordita".

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.