Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
On a thicker Steak, 1" or more...Will you sear directly and then go indirect to finish,,,,,Or,,,,

Indirect first and then finish directly over red hot coals.

Educate this simpleton.

GB2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sear 700 degrees then raise and finish at 400 degrees

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Sear 700 degrees then raise and finish at 400 degrees

I like going the opposite! It's much easier to ramp the temp in my BGE @ the end of my cook compared to trying to sear 1st then having to get my Egg cooled back down. Unless I'm overlooking an easy way to do that. IDK.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Let the steak come to room temp before you grill it.

After that, on my Weber with the lid down, steaks only take about four minutes a side directly over hot charcoal.

Let them rest, covered on a plate for a few minutes before serving and they'll be a perfect medium rare.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When resting, I wrap afoolium moil around the plate - keeps the juices in - need to allow for a bit more "cooking" when doing this. Another important point if you want the steak to come out right, is to not attempt to grill for more than one (1) doneness, no matter what anyone's preferences may be; you will only screw up the whole works.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

700 degrees...are we cooking or welding? Raising or lowering the meat over open flame can be done with close attention to the meat surface and when juices appear on the surface, finishing with the desired wellness...

[Linked Image]

The smoker grill on the other hand can cook perfectly watching the temperature and not cooking over 350 degrees, again watching the signature of the juices on the surface...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no right or wrong way as long as you are careful not to overcook them. I have done both with good results. I prefer the high temp sear first because I believe the crust you create from the sear holds more juice in the meat during the finishing roast. It seems to be easier for me to control the final internal temp when I'm cooking at a lower temp. SMMV.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sear first, then worry about temp. Perfect world, you can sear and reach your intern temp without to much moving around or flipping.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For thick steaks I start them in the oven. Place steaks on a rack cook at 275 until temp is about a 100to 110 degrees. Going for med rare. Then onto a blazing hot grill. Natural charcoal. About two to four minutes a side depending on thickness. Steak comes out perfectly and evenly cooked all the way through. A steak is not done right if only the middle third is done to your liking and the outer thirds are a step or two above your desired doneness. With the oven precook you don't overcook the outer areas of the steak as your trying to get the center up to temp.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm working on a 1" steak making it into the "thick" category.
laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Same here. 1" is for pork chops. Steaks need to be 1 3/4" , and at room temp.

I like sear first. Hotter than hell fire. Good rest time.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What temp/doneness am I at when juices are on the surface?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
For thick steaks I start them in the oven. Place steaks on a rack cook at 275 until temp is about a 100to 110 degrees. Going for med rare. Then onto a blazing hot grill. Natural charcoal. About two to four minutes a side depending on thickness. Steak comes out perfectly and evenly cooked all the way through. A steak is not done right if only the middle third is done to your liking and the outer thirds are a step or two above your desired doneness. With the oven precook you don't overcook the outer areas of the steak as your trying to get the center up to temp.

We think in Similiar fashion, Sear in cast Iron pan, then put pan into oven till magic time. That's for indoors though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I am trying to please myself, here is how I do it. Hot grill, put the steak on and let sit for a couple of minutes, turn 90 degrees and let sit for about three more minutes, flip and repeat process. This will have the steak close to what I want, so I leave on on the hot grill and just move over to the side a little to keep flare ups down. I check by pushing with my thumb and when it gets to the resistance I want, I remove it to a platter and put a piece of foil over it and let stand. I just cover, not wrap it up tight. My wife keeps telling me that it can't be done that fast, but it is. To get different steaks done to different specifications, I put the well done on first and wait a little for the others, so they all come off at the same time. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Ha !!! Simple answer as I asked myself the same question but you may not like the answer LOLOL.

I just went down to my butcher and bought about a dozen rib eyes and tried some different approaches to see what suited me best.

I ate steak all week and twice on Saturday as well as taking a few notes and came up a winner.

Don't forget the grilled veggies while "you're in school" laugh

Starting @ room temp and a sprinkle of kosher salt on the meat an hour or so before it hits the grill is mandatory.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess this thread makes it perfectly clear why I need a 2nd Egg! grin

.... one for starting out with a uber hot sear and a 2nd running @ a lower temp for bringing the steaks up to desired internal temp

Thanks fellas!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton
... To get different steaks done to different specifications, I put the well done on first and wait a little for the others, so they all come off at the same time. miles

If you can make them all come out to everyone's satisfaction at the same time, I take my cap off to you. Also, given a small boy with three steaks and six loaves of garlic bread, you should be able to feed five thousand with baskets of leftovers. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I guess this thread makes it perfectly clear why I need a 2nd Egg! grin

.... one for starting out with a uber hot sear and a 2nd running @ a lower temp for bringing the steaks up to desired internal temp

Second that...I need to break open the piggy bank for a new Mini Max if it would ever get released for distribution!!

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Ha !!! Simple answer as I asked myself the same question but you may not like the answer LOLOL.

I just went down to my butcher and bought about a dozen rib eyes and tried some different approaches to see what suited me best.

I ate steak all week and twice on Saturday as well as taking a few notes and came up a winner.

Don't forget the grilled veggies while "you're in school" laugh

Starting @ room temp and a sprinkle of kosher salt on the meat an hour or so before it hits the grill is mandatory.

Was there an answer in here somewhere? Don't be shy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can make them all come out to everyone's satisfaction at the same time, I take my cap off to you.

Only way is if they are hungry. Those don't tend to complain. Did you read the part where I started off by saying I was doing it this way to please myself. I will try to please someone else a little bit then if they don't like it, they can cook their own. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.