Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
It was 21 on the dot with the Jewel trigger and recoil lug.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow! That's five ounces lighter than the Weatherby Mark V six lug I'm using. How much is it and where can we get one?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by broomd
Douglas would build that contour in SS as well. Builds them for Mel all the time.
Kreiger won't in stainless, neither will brux, ironically based on kreiger's cold weather shooting liability/policy.

The Vx-r in 33mm will save you two ounces over the 40mm.
Figure if you're going "ultralight" all options are on the table.

Great build, thanks for posting!

Rock Creek will do a skinny stainless as well.....if he decides to take your order.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shocking to me that cerakote and paint adds 1/4 lb. Whoda thunk it??

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
This short action was $1485 before freight direct from Pierce. Without the trigger the complete action with lug is 17 ounces. This is one of the most expensive rifles Brady has ever built.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Can I do a custom contour? That is no problem at all but this is as light as Krieger will make one. It seems pretty thin. I can't imagine making it much thinner. What does your Lightweight Packer weigh in ounces?

The stock is light that is for sure. As a blank it was 16 ounces. It feels like working with a potato chip. It looks like they make them for a few different rifles. http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Pendleton-Composite-Stocks.html

I finally got to shoot it off a proper bench. The same fire forming loads as before actually shoots consistent 3/4 MOA. Something I didn't notice at all from field position that showed up at the bench is the amount of kick for such a light round.

That's a lightweight stock for sure!

My lightweight rifle weighs 7.5# with the scope. It's not as light as it could be made for many reasons. If I recall correctly, the stock is 26 ounces. Made to my 14.5" LOP doesn't help on the weight. I also have a 24" barrel plus a muzzle brake. Some metal has been removed from the action and bolt handle.

Yours sounds like an all out assault to make it as light as technologically possible. Awesome!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That was the exact plan. A year of research went into selecting the components. We wanted to see what was possible yet maintain reasonable accuracy. I still need to find a plastic follower. I may have to adapt one from something else. There are a couple ounces left to be lost on the rifle. Weatherby has plastic followers and the recoil spring fits right in it. Look for a reweigh once I get the follower in it.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A shooting update. Off a bench on bags and off a mechanical rest it shoots a little better than the single point stump. I'm hoping Accubonds and some RL-17 tune it up a bit. These were still the fire form Partitions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks great to me. Very nice. Love the cartridge too.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beautiful rifle. Thanks for posting. Never heard of Pendleton stocks.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the same stock and do like the stock. I don't care much for the owner of the company and his service. He was installing the stock and coating the gun, medeia blasted the chamber and inside the barrel and muzzle, he just said polish the chamber and cut an inch of the barrel.... We also had to re do his bedding.
BUT the stock is very nice and very light.

Sweet rifle!! I really like my Pierce action(cm) I have on another gun

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
He was very pushy about being the one to bed it and paint it but we refused. It arrived cracked right in front of the trigger area where he swore there is a steel pin. We dug into it with the mill and there was no cross pin. We went ahead and sunk a thin end mill into the front bedding area where he said the other pin was and there were no cross pins. We made up some trick aluminum ones and epoxied them in and that made the whole stock more rigid. I'm glad you posted. It was between them and MPI. If we do another I am sure MPI will be the next one we try.

If anyone sand blasted the inside of the barrel on one of my rifles he would be up for replacing the barrel. I use a flush system and will not even let cutting chips touch the inside of a barrel. Shooting grit in there? That is messed up.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Glad you didn't get mad about me posting it on your post. I do like the stock, but would not deal with him again. He tried hard to get the entire build, I told him I had a Brux barrel ordered and he said never heard of them. I said they are hear in WI and since I live in WI I get my barrel from one of the barrel makers here. Got didn't know anyone makes barrels in WI, I named a bunch and again he said never heard of them. In a later talk with MPI I dont' think Doc has much love for him as a past employee. Nope won't touch anything from Wayne again!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
HiredGun,

I forgot to get back on this thread to thank you for the answer about Pierce Titanium actions. I purchased the lightened long action. With no trigger it weighs exactly 20.0 ounces on the postal scale. I have a 26" 6.5mm Christensen Arms carbon wrap that will weigh approximately 42 ounces when threaded and chambered. The MPI stock weighs 20 ounces, but it is still in the rough. I mean no barrel channel, no recoil pad, on inletting. It has the Weatherby cheek piece and Remington ADL magazine.

Officially, thanks.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
You are welcome. Glad I could help.
Shawn

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for the info on Pendleton stocks. I think these were the guys that I talked to at a booth at RMEF Elk Camp this year. I am looking to have my old .280 Mountain Rifle redone and these people wanted to do not only sell me the stock but all the work. The stocks looked nice and didn't have the wait time of Mcmillans.
Looks like I'll go in a different direction.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
802 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,164 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.