Buy it?
Make it?

Have some, just in case?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when I get home, I'll post a recipe that is true to what the Brits made for ship use back in the sailing days.

Sam......

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Growing up in an substantially Italian once commercial fishing community we ate the hell out of hardtack. A round and a stack of mortadella was the deal. Use to buy it at any number of the local proper deli's. Just last week I was thinking of it and found these folks that sell it. When I am home for Christmas I plan to give it a try.

http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a CW re-enactor for 12 years. We had to make our own hard crackers (hard tack or pilot bread) for authenticity. Here are two recipes that will turn them out.

1 Original recipe:

2 cups flour 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 Tbs. salt @ 3/4 cup water

Mix dry ingredients add water and knead to a stiff dough @ 1/4 inch thick. Trim to a square and punch holes with a fork into the dough. Bake about 1/2 hour at 350 flipping crackers @ every 5 minutes. If still soft after baking leave oven on warm and toast until cracker is dry and hard. Pack in flour.

You can eat these things if you have good teeth. They are better soaked in water and then fried in bacon grease or broken up and added to a stew. That is the way most ate them during the CW.

2 Improved Hard Tack

2 cups flour 1 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 Tbs salt 1/4 cup liquid oil
3/4 cup milk.

Mix dry ingredients add oil and milk and kneed and roll dough @ 1/4 inch thick. Cut in squares to the size you like @ 3X3 inch was simi standard. Punch holes in one side.
Bake at 400. Flip when edges start to brown. Done when stiff.

These you can eat w/o breaking teeth and are actually pretty good. Will last a week of two just carried in a haver sack wrapped in news paper. A couple of these with a chunk of boiled and toasted salt pork make a filling meal.

Variations: 1 cup white 1 cup whole wheat flour--- Use Peanut oil for a different flavor--- use Onion salt for regular salt.

ps use plain salt not iodized salt for all hard tack

Last edited by Boggy Creek Ranger; 10/15/14. Reason: add info

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Growing up in an substantially Italian once commercial fishing community we ate the hell out of hardtack. A round and a stack of mortadella was the deal. Use to buy it at any number of the local proper deli's. Just last week I was thinking of it and found these folks that sell it. When I am home for Christmas I plan to give it a try.

http://www.bentscookiefactory.com/hardtack.html

The order link is not working.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's something to go with it.

Pemmican. A food preparation (also spelled pemican) used in the wilds of the northern parts of North America, and made by cutting the meat of the reindeer into thin slices, drying the latter in the sun or over the smoke of a slow fire, pounding them fine between stones, and incorporating the material with one-third part of melted fat. To this mixture, dried fruit, such as choke or June berries, is sometimes added. The whole is then compressed into skin bags, in which, if kept dry, it may be preserved for four or five years. Sweet pemmican is a superior kind of pemmican in which the fat used is obtained from marrow by boiling broken bones in water. Fish pemmican is a pemmican made by the Indians of the remote regions of the N. W. by pounding dried fish and mixing the product with sturgeon oil. The [Inuit] of Alaska make a pemmican by mixing chewed deer meat with deer suet and seal-oil. "This food," observes Lieut. Ray, "is not agreeable to the taste, probably owing to the fact that the masticators are inveterate tobacco-chewers." The word is from Cree pimikan, 'manufactured grease,' from pimikeu, 'he (or she) makes (or manufactures) grease,' that is, by boiling crude fat, pim�, in water and skimming off the supernatant oil. The verb is now used by the Cree in the sense of 'he makes pemmican.' The word is cognate with Abnaki pimik�n

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

My friend always brings "Pilot Bread/Crackers" backpacking. He thinks they're neat but I don't get the attraction.

[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love good food, far more than most, but when backpacking, all I give a chit about is cramming calories in my hole.

Hard tack sucked azz a hundred years ago, it's gonna suck azz now.

Better calories are easily a available.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many "holes" in one paragraph......which one are you cramming calories in?.......guess I really don't want to know after all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one with teeth. The other is hard to chew with.......

I guess I don't see the attraction to eating flour that's rock hard.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eating hardtack beats eating nothing.
I've tried both. wink grin

Quando Omni Moritati
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.