Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking at a G Loomis Trout and Panfish UL to replace my Fenwick that got buried under some gear and squished the reel seat recently.
I'm thinking the 5' 1 piece mated to a Sedona 500 would make a nice package but I've never had a spinning rod under 6' so I'd like to hear the plusses and minuses from those that use one.
I'll be fishing small waters (ponds/reservoirs) FWIW.

TIA

PS,,, here's the specs for this series.
http://www.gloomis.com/publish/cont...s/gl2_trout/classic_trout___panfish.html

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you might be interested in some vintage made in USA tackle like a Eagle Claw Feather Weight ultra-lite spinning rod with a Michell 308, I recommend ebay. I have found some real beauties for relatively little money.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
If you might be interested in some vintage made in USA tackle like a Eagle Claw Feather Weight ultra-lite spinning rod with a Michell 308, I recommend ebay. I have found some real beauties for relatively little money.

I love that kind of stuff but don't know enough about old UL equipment to know what I'm buying.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I do a ton of UL fishing and after many years settled on 5 and 1/2 foot rods. Reason being casting distance for light lures. Streams are low and clear most of the season and the farther away you can stand from your target when casting, the more you catch. For the creeks the 5.5 footers seem ideal. Bigger water with bigger lures, you still get all the casting distance you can handle.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ingwe

They do make that same rod in the 5'6" length.

It's actually ten bucks less for some reason.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I love that kind of stuff but don't know enough about old UL equipment to know what I'm buying.

Buy this rod . . . for $24 . . .LINK

[Linked Image]

and this NOS reel . . . for (current bid at $33.22) . . . LINK

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have an old 300, is the 308 smaller?

Thanks for the info. I might buy that rod just to have a place for my old 300 to live but I'd still like to have a nice little UL outfit. It'll take me all winter to talk myself into dropping 200 on a rod though. As much as I like good gear I'm not sure I'm a good enough fisherman to justify it. frown

Last edited by FieldGrade; 10/15/14.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The 308 is smaller.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I would wave you off any old style Mitchell reel. They were the schizz back in the day because they had no competition,and nowadays they don't compare well with almost anything..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I have an old 300, is the 308 smaller?

Thanks for the info. I might buy that rod just to have a place for my old 300 to live but I'd still like to have a nice little UL outfit. It'll take me all winter to talk myself into dropping 200 on a rod though. As much as I like good gear I'm not sure I'm a good enough fisherman to justify it. frown

The 308 is ultra-lite sized. The 300 is huge compared to the 308. I have about a half dozen 308's with vintage ultra-lite offerings from Garcia, Shakespeare, and Eagle Claw. These reels are smooth and a blast to use. They had plenty of competition back in the day from Heddon, Shakespeare, Penn, and a half dozen other reel makers, but the Frenchies out sold them all for a reason. If you enjoy old, quality fishing tackle, you can't go wrong with a vintage combo like the one above. There is plenty of new old stock or nearly new rods and reels on ebay. Stuff that has set in a closet for 30, 40, 50 years and looks brand new. All of my rods were made in the USA. I don't do ChiCom stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Gee...my Shimanos were made in Malaysia...which isn't chinese, communist, or french.
I'm gonna have to find something else to feel bad about....

Besides...french people aren't nice...

Yes, you are right. Mitchell had lots of competition back in the day from Heddon, Shakespeare etc...but if you tried them, you know they were REAL garbage. In comparison, the Mitchell was like a volkswagen...it would just plain keep on running for you.
Nowadays they still are like a volkswagen....but there are comparably priced Ferraris on the market...

Last edited by ingwe; 10/16/14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep,,,, as much as I'd love to have my little 36hp 1960 VW back, I'd prefer to drive my (90% US made) Toyota in today's world.
Same thing with fishing gear. I love vintage stuff, but right now I'm simply trying to put a nice UL combo together to replace and upgrade my old one.
We have a Sportsman Whorehouse here so I was able to actually lay hands on most of the reels on my list and narrowed it down to the Sedona500 because it resets the bail easier than any of the others. My current Shimano SUCKS at that function so that's my #1 priority.
Now I need to come up with a good UL rod. My Fenwick wasn't really horrible before it got squashed but I figure I might as well upgrade that too while I'm at it.
Ingwe (or anyone else),, any opinion on St Croix Premier UL's or even Fenwick's HMX series?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the longer rod.

My ultralight reel is the Mitchell 408 Hi-speed. But Ingwe is right that these old designs have been surpassed. Look among the better made Shimano reels.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
FG both the St Croix and the Fenwicks are great. Have used them both and still have a couple Fenwicks. Use the one that feels best to you, and you don't need to spend a wad on it. $60 would be about top end for me, and prefer closer to $40....they make good rods nowadays....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK,,,, I'll check the local shops and see if I can lay hands on any of those models. I'm not sure what to look for by just wiggling em around in the store but I'll give it a go.
Not spending two bills on that Loomis sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Thanks man.

Oh,,, also,, does any rod in particular stand out as a better match with a Sedona500? Fast or med action? One piece or two? etc,,,,

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Fast, and I like a two piece, just because its easier to transport.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Gee...my Shimanos were made in Malaysia...which isn't chinese, communist, or french.

Yes, but there's a certain smug satisfaction in owning a stable of G Loomis rods. ;-)

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have preferred Pflueger reels, the 25 President size is sweet.

Shimano CLARUS UL/L in 5 and 5'6 get the most play. P-line CX 6lb
feels as strong as 10 mono, but limp lacking coils and cast great.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yes, but there's a certain smug satisfaction in owning a stable of G Loomis rods. ;-)

You're an elitist snob.

Your weiner dogs are probably purebreds....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 4 G.Loomis rods, three are UL from 5-7' and they are the stuff!
A 5' is real handy for bank fishing on a pond with overhang. I use 4# and a back up spool with #2 when I feel "sporty"

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.