Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The problem with the 7 RM is when the companies that put their loading data in print over reacted more with this round than some others.

Find an older Hornady loading manuel using 73/H4831 with a 139 Hornady and use that to compare against your .270 velocities.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a load from the Hogden manual with H-1000 and a 150 ballistic tip at 3150 fps. That's over my pact model 1, not what it says in the book.

Last edited by SEdge; 10/20/14.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil,

You mean the "stretched" 7x57?

Somehow I ended up with a box of Remington 7x64 ammo in my collection, and like any true rifle loony have had my eye out for a rifle to shoot it in. Ain't going to "build" one, or do a web-search all over the U.S., but if the right one shows up? Who knows.

Always kind of wanted a break-action in 7x65R too, whether kipplauf or drilling. Closest I've come, however, is my drilling in 6.5x57R, which isn't all that close.

of course the streched 7x57 lol... nothing bad really about that original version too ... now if we can talk about the modern cousin te 7-08 ...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SEdge
I use a load from the Hogden manual with H-1000 and a 150 ballistic tip at 3150 fps.

Yep!

In several 7 RMs I have not had any problems getting 3150 fps with 150-154 bullets.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes, the wonderful 7-08. I think this is a great round, too bad some people think it's a starter gun for a young person or " the wife's gun".

Thou it works great for that. It really is a wonderful round that wont beat you up at the range or in the field. Takes game very well.

On game animals I have only used 140 and 150 grain bullets mostly Nosler bullets, Partitions, A/B and B/T with the 150 grain bullet.

It has worked just fine for me and people in my family.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My first big game magnum was a 7mm Rem mag.
Picked it up in 1978.
Loaded it with 160 gr NPt's and killed the hell outta everything l pointed it at.

But the redundancy point is right on...
A 30-06 or a 270 or a 7x57 or a etc. would of likely done the same.
In my case the price was right it met my criteria and it shot lites out and it had a magic belt on the case..lol.
Times have changed a bit haven't they??

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonphil

John,

i always though the only 7mm was the 7x64 brenneke ...

Phil

Nope! You forgot the other one, the 7X65R Brenneke. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Phil,

You mean the "stretched" 7x57?

Somehow I ended up with a box of Remington 7x64 ammo in my collection, and like any true rifle loony have had my eye out for a rifle to shoot it in. Ain't going to "build" one, or do a web-search all over the U.S., but if the right one shows up? Who knows.

Always kind of wanted a break-action in 7x65R too, whether kipplauf or drilling. Closest I've come, however, is my drilling in 6.5x57R, which isn't all that close.

Here you go. It even wears a Hensoldt 1.5-6 now, not the Zeiss Jena 4x shown, and it has a top tang safety, not the Greener side safety. wink

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How much does it weigh?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's a 12ga, so a bit heavy. I'll weigh it and get back to you. It's the one I brought up last fall.

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/21/14.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am a die hard .30 caliber man (except the .308. I don't like it) but have a Sako 75 V action that may become a 7mm Remington mag.

Being a rifle junkie and trying to break the habit I keep thinking about the 7mm mag. When I decide I need a .257 wby I could load 120 grain bullets in the 7mm mag. When I want one load for deer I could load 140 grainers. When I decide I need a elk load I could load 160 grainers in the 7mm mag. If I ever get to hunt something big I could load 175 grainers. When I decide I need one load for everything I could load 150's and be done with it.

It sounds so good in theory.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 10/21/14.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
there's a youtube vid about a guy taking a big bull elk, legally one presumes, with a 10mm auto. Bowhunters take them all the time. So why anyone bothers with more than a 308 autoloader, I have no clue. the rapidfire and cheap practice, from offhand, like reality in the hunting fields, means far more than any ballistic "advantage". Animals, unless bedded down, MOVE, folks. Often. The wind and mirage often mean that a humane shot just cannot be adequately likely, at ranges beyond which a 308 auto is quite capable (ie, 300m)

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
here's the vid about 10mm handgun elk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9fEyRgfGE

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WTF?

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Is it hard to figure out? When a guy proves that it's perfectly feasible to get within 50 yds and take them with 500 ft lb loads (impact energy, not at the muzzle) then why are you so intent on having 2000 ft lbs remaining at 500 yds? can't you stalk decently?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

well thought thru and idea expressed ,well written!
I keep coming back to my 340 wby after trying many of the other popular and semi-popular cartridges,for similar reasons and have come to the conclusion that each of our individual experience's and the resulting trust and confidence in what the rifle we have used ,will do and OUR ability to consistently get results with it has a great deal to do with the choices we individually make

Last edited by 340mag; 10/22/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding recoil:
I have several 7mm RM's, two are fine as far as recoil goes (both well stocked 700's), but one actually hurts when I shoot it a few times when I'm in shirt sleeves. Taking into consideration that my 338 WM and my 300 WM don't hurt and I'm getting old... The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77. I know if I replaced the pad with a limbsaver it would be a much more pleasant gun to shoot. Perhaps that is a problem with others.

Why use the magnum over a 7x57?

The only reason I can think of why I'd take the magnums out before the 7x57 is if I thought I might get an open country shot. Because when I think of prarie winds and my proven lack of ability to guess the windage correction every time, I think maybe the magnum would reduce the error.

Example: This year shooting at antelope got to be a little crazy. I didn't get a shot under 300 yards. The wind would be 30+ mph and then it would stop.

Friends shooting prairie dogs after they got their antelope said that their bullets were being blown all over. They were using 22-250's for the dogs. One shot would hit the dog. The next would be 3 feet to the right or left. Agreed, the 7's would not be blown as far as the 22's, for sure. But faster bullets are better than slower bullets in the wind. To go fast, use a bigger case and select the bullet that is a good game bullet.

The other option, is to be a better hunter and get closer. But this time out I wasn't the better hunter.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77.

I had the same rifle in 338, and it was the most abusive rifle I have owned.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by squesh
there's a youtube vid about a guy taking a big bull elk, legally one presumes, with a 10mm auto. Bowhunters take them all the time. So why anyone bothers with more than a 308 autoloader, I have no clue. the rapidfire and cheap practice, from offhand, like reality in the hunting fields, means far more than any ballistic "advantage". Animals, unless bedded down, MOVE, folks. Often. The wind and mirage often mean that a humane shot just cannot be adequately likely, at ranges beyond which a 308 auto is quite capable (ie, 300m)

I'm adding you to my list...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77.

I had the same rifle in 338, and it was the most abusive rifle I have owned.

I had the same rifle in the same two cartridges. They were both bad but the .338 was absolutely punishing. I traded both the Big 7 and the .338 for an ADL .270 and a BDL .30-06 and I'm so much happier.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.