Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think what happened is that there are way too many rifles available for the number of shooters out there, so the only thing that sells is something "new."

I see lots and lots of guys actually hunting with a 7RM still. New magnum guys are using 300WSM.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Right after the .300 WSM appeared I noticed the appearance of far more used 7mm Remington Magnums in gun shops, as the boys traded off their rifles chambered for the In Cartridge of the 1960's and 70's for the first In Cartridge of the 21st century.

But I'm still seeing more 7mm RM's on used-rifle shelves, even though the .300 WSM's peak of hot selling passed years ago. I'm not saying the .300 WSM isn't a good cartridge, or that hunters don't buy them now, but it's not the super-hot bestseller it was from 2001-2005.

So why are old 7mm RM's still showing up on used racks? One guess is that the rifles hunters bought during the peak of it's popularity might be losing some of their accuracy. The 7mm RM isn't kind to throats, and a rifle that was new in, say, 1978 might be finally losing its accuracy edge. I picked up a used tang-safety 7mm RM about 10 years ago for a very low price, just for the action, and my bore-scope showed the throat was gator-skin for several inches. Never did shoot that barrel to find out if the erosion affected the accuracy, but my guess (based on some experience) was that it did, at least somewhat.

Another guess would be that the guys who firmly believed the 7mm Remington Magnum was a "big cartridge" back in the 1970's finally realized it wasn't. Back then it was promoted as doing anything a .300 magnum would do, with .30-06 recoil. This was mostly because of the original 175-grain factory load's advertised velocity of 3020 fps. The first Remington ammo was right around there, but within a few years it was found the velocity was too much, and the factory velocity was dropped to around 2850, which isn't all that much more than the 180-grain .30-06 load.

Then, as others have pointed out, chronographs became affordable to average shooters. And eventually laser rangefinders showed up, providing some reality to long-range shots.

I knew Montana guys back in the 1960's and 70's who firmly believed in the ultra-power of the 7mm RM, who when anybody asked what cartridge they used for elk would roll their shoulders like a weight-lifter and say, "I shoot a Big Seven." These guys all had tales of 700-yard kills, which for some reason was the typical range quoted. Maybe it was because many of them preferred "7&7" as their mixed drink, and a 7mm Magnum at 700 yards matched that perfectly.

The 7mm Remington Magnum would actually a darn good choice for the guys who like to make long shots these days. After all, John Burns uses it a lot, and the typical 7mm rifling twist stabilizeslong 162-180 grain spritzer boattails. But unfortunately, the Big Seven doesn't fit in a short bolt action, and has a belt, and long-action belted magnums are just as unfashionable right now as they were fashionable half a century ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by A_O_Bush
Chrono graphs and range finders

Yes and yes!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Still lots of folks running them around here. I haven't used my 3 much the last few years as I've been tinkering with wildcats and 257Wbys, but the great 7 is still my favorite cartridge of all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
So those of us who have 7's and 300's just don't bother to talk about them much, just let the guns chambered for them do the talking come Oct and November.

Yep, lots of gut shot and azz shot game hobbling around can testify to the magnum's prowess.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The New Has wore off

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

Right after the .300 WSM appeared I noticed the appearance of far more used 7mm Remington Magnums in gun shops, as the boys traded off their rifles chambered for the In Cartridge of the 1960's and 70's for the first In Cartridge of the 21st century.

But I'm still seeing more 7mm RM's on used-rifle shelves, even though the .300 WSM's peak of hot selling passed years ago. I'm not saying the .300 WSM isn't a good cartridge, or that hunters don't buy them now, but it's not the super-hot bestseller it was from 2001-2005.

So why are old 7mm RM's still showing up on used racks? One guess is that the rifles hunters bought during the peak of it's popularity might be losing some of their accuracy. The 7mm RM isn't kind to throats, and a rifle that was new in, say, 1978 might be finally losing its accuracy edge. I picked up a used tang-safety 7mm RM about 10 years ago for a very low price, just for the action, and my bore-scope showed the throat was gator-skin for several inches. Never did shoot that barrel to find out if the erosion affected the accuracy, but my guess (based on some experience) was that it did, at least somewhat.

Another guess would be that the guys who firmly believed the 7mm Remington Magnum was a "big cartridge" back in the 1970's finally realized it wasn't. Back then it was promoted as doing anything a .300 magnum would do, with .30-06 recoil. This was mostly because of the original 175-grain factory load's advertised velocity of 3020 fps. The first Remington ammo was right around there, but within a few years it was found the velocity was too much, and the factory velocity was dropped to around 2850, which isn't all that much more than the 180-grain .30-06 load.

Then, as others have pointed out, chronographs became affordable to average shooters. And eventually laser rangefinders showed up, providing some reality to long-range shots.

I knew Montana guys back in the 1960's and 70's who firmly believed in the ultra-power of the 7mm RM, who when anybody asked what cartridge they used for elk would roll their shoulders like a weight-lifter and say, "I shoot a Big Seven." These guys all had tales of 700-yard kills, which for some reason was the typical range quoted. Maybe it was because many of them preferred "7&7" as their mixed drink, and a 7mm Magnum at 700 yards matched that perfectly.

The 7mm Remington Magnum would actually a darn good choice for the guys who like to make long shots these days. After all, John Burns uses it a lot, and the typical 7mm rifling twist stabilizeslong 162-180 grain spritzer boattails. But unfortunately, the Big Seven doesn't fit in a short bolt action, and has a belt, and long-action belted magnums are just as unfashionable right now as they were fashionable half a century ago.

Awesome...simply awesome!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Like mine just fine belt and all. Along with 180 bergers over some Ramshot Magnum.Just got some Lapua 180 Scenars to try in the next week or two.However with turrets and rangefinders one can lob anything out there with great accuracy.
Hit steel at a 1000 with the "big 7" would not take that shot at a game animal.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's the combination of factors. Many people thought it 's magnum label made it a legitimate large game rifle and there are legions of stories of bears being wounded and lost with 7 mags.

Let's face it, it's a fine deer rifle, but when push comes to shove a 7-08 will kill just as well on deer size game without as much muss and fuss, and if you need a legitimate bigger critter rifle the starting point is somewhere between 30 and 338 on up.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I don't see anyone buying them anymore. It's still a great round, IMO, but the blush is off the bloom. The 270 seems to still be strong. confused

I'll play. The problem with a 7mmRM is theres little reason/excuse to need a second gun. Get something that needs 85-90 grains of 4831 to push a .284 bullet and its easy to say you need a 257/7-08/358 as well.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but you don't count...You're left handed. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the 7mm Rem Mag's obituary coming anytime soon

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I

Let's face it, it's a fine deer rifle..........

And aoudad, elk, kudu, zebra, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest...... smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7-MM Rem. Mag.: The Ladies Magnum.

Did I say that? No, It's what I've been told when using my 7-MM.

I haven't used that gun for about 12 years.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess it just too boringly gets the job done, it doesn't give the latest and greatest guys enough to elaborate on. I've done a bunch of the newest latest and greatest rounds, but still 98% of all the big game I've killed has been with a 7mm rem mag.

It just works

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I don't see the 7mm Rem Mag's obituary coming anytime soon

A friend and myself have built a nice shooting range, and have a get together for "church" there most sundays if we aint hunting.

Last sunday there were 5 of us, four 7 Rem's, one 7 WBY, 4 6.5 creed's, one 338 EDGE and two 338LM..

Every one us had an H&H based 7mm, where 5 years ago it would have been RUM's or 378 inspired weatherbys.

In this small part of the world, belted 7's are making a come back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not so much a latest and greatest use of stuff, as I have never shot a short magnum of any kind.
I've been running my 06, and my 308 mostly. I have been known to shoot a 338 once in a while.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What can it do that a .270 with a quality 150gr bullet can't or if a monometal guy 130gr TTSX?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought three of them and sold my 270's. Bullets for the 7mm are great. 2 are Model 700's one is a 77. I'm bidding on another in stainless. I think I'll always like my 280 and 7x57 better though.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/16/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.