Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
shoot .650+ BC @ 2900FPS, with moderate recoil.

Not a big bonus to most of the hunting public, but thats a pretty dang good reason for lots of guys that like it.

Lets put it this way,recoil aside, what CANT it do better than the 270?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My LGS won't get in new 7 RM's unless they're ordered and they're hesitant to buy them used too. They say since word has got out that the military adopted the .300 WM as a sniper round that has replaced the 7RM as the go to belted round..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
What can it do that a .270 with a quality 150gr bullet can't or if a monometal guy 130gr TTSX?

Mike

It's louder, kicks worse, and has 2" more barrel to get in the way. All that has to count for something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

The essence of it all... smile

When someone explains to me what's "wrong" with a 160-162 gr 7mm bullet loaded to 3000-3100 fps, I might understand what happened to it. No one has.

The cartridge was conceived as a wildcat outside Cody, Wyoming to kill elk and other BG animals (including grizzlies and moose), in above timberline, open basins at long range, in a place called "Elk Heaven"; intended by Les Bowman to replace the 300 Weatherby's that his clients did not shoot so well, yet have more reach than the 30/06 and more power than a 270,in a portable mountain weight rifle (no not 11-17 pounds, how ridiculous) that did not kick your molars loose.

This was some years before it was actually adopted, so it's fair to say it didn't spring from some Madison Ave marketing consultant and had as much or more field time and experience actually killing BG animals than many cartridges designed just to sell hunters something "different". Bowman did his home work well.

I know from using them or actually seeing them at work, that the 300's and 338's are supposed to kill elk sized stuff "better" but honestly can't recall seeing it happen. Any of the 7 Rem Mag "failures" I hear talked about usually get traced back to lousy shooting or poor bullet choice....more the former than the latter.Talk of its ineffectiveness is just mostly "wind" and bullistic gack. I wouldn't pay any attention to any of it

I watched a big 6x6 herd bull dropped mid bugle on his nose at about 500 yards from a properly applied 160 Partition. Last 6x6 I killed was dropped so fast by the same load that he lost all holds and cascaded down the mountain like a runaway Ferris wheel.In either case a 300 or 338 would not have done any better.

I am not too concerned about short actions, or cases with no belts, or worn throats (since I keep spare barrels here).Feeding and function in bolt actions with belted cases was perfected long ago,and makes no difference whether Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Sako or properly modified Mauser or Rem clone, they all function with the cartridge.I can't say the same for the short/fats IME. frown

It would be easier to make a list of animals i would not hunt with the cartridge than of those I would. If I had to pick one cartridge to hunt the west and Canada this would likely be "it". I am certainly not going to choose a BG cartridge based on the personality profiles of some who shoot it, or because some do-do shoots it poorly; that would be silly.....I got three over here. smile

Ubiquitous,moderate of recoil in portable rifles,flat shooting, heavier bullets and more potent than anything smaller (bullets that nudge into the middle range of 30 caliber slugs while driven at true magnum velocities),and enough power to cleanly take anything in North America.

What's wrong with that?

Anyone? crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Smell what your stepping in. And agree completely.

Last edited by sidepass; 10/16/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I

Let's face it, it's a fine deer rifle..........

And aoudad, elk, kudu, zebra, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest...... smile

And with 160 NAB's...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To me, the 7mmRM and 160's at 3000fps are a match made in heaven!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking at G7 bc's on Berger's site I'd like to see a side by side comparison. Don't know if any of the online ballistic calculators are good enough to tell.

I think it would probably be splitting hairs which IS what we love to do!

laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things come and go in cycles. How long has the 7-08 been around and now it sees like it's everywhere.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've always liked the 7MM mag, but don't own one right now. That being said, I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

The essence of it all... smile

When someone explains to me what's "wrong" with a 160-162 gr 7mm bullet loaded to 3000-3100 fps, I might understand what happened to it. No one has.

The cartridge was conceived as a wildcat outside Cody, Wyoming to kill elk and other BG animals (including grizzlies and moose), in above timberline, open basins at long range, in a place called "Elk Heaven"; intended by Les Bowman to replace the 300 Weatherby's that his clients did not shoot so well, yet have more reach than the 30/06 and more power than a 270,in a portable mountain weight rifle (no not 11-17 pounds, how ridiculous) that did not kick your molars loose.

This was some years before it was actually adopted, so it's fair to say it didn't spring from some Madison Ave marketing consultant and had as much or more field time and experience actually killing BG animals than many cartridges designed just to sell hunters something "different". Bowman did his home work well.

I know from using them or actually seeing them at work, that the 300's and 338's are supposed to kill elk sized stuff "better" but honestly can't recall seeing it happen. Any of the 7 Rem Mag "failures" I hear talked about usually get traced back to lousy shooting or poor bullet choice....more the former than the latter.Talk of its ineffectiveness is just mostly "wind" and bullistic gack. I wouldn't pay any attention to any of it

I watched a big 6x6 herd bull dropped mid bugle on his nose at about 500 yards from a properly applied 160 Partition. Last 6x6 I killed was dropped so fast by the same load that he lost all holds and cascaded down the mountain like a runaway Ferris wheel.In either case a 300 or 338 would not have done any better.

I am not too concerned about short actions, or cases with no belts, or worn throats (since I keep spare barrels here).Feeding and function in bolt actions with belted cases was perfected long ago,and makes no difference whether Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Sako or properly modified Mauser or Rem clone, they all function with the cartridge.I can't say the same for the short/fats IME. frown

It would be easier to make a list of animals i would not hunt with the cartridge than of those I would. If I had to pick one cartridge to hunt the west and Canada this would likely be "it". I am certainly not going to choose a BG cartridge based on the personality profiles of some who shoot it, or because some do-do shoots it poorly; that would be silly.....I got three over here. smile

Ubiquitous,moderate of recoil in portable rifles,flat shooting, heavier bullets and more potent than anything smaller (bullets that nudge into the middle range of 30 caliber slugs while driven at true magnum velocities),and enough power to cleanly take anything in North America.

What's wrong with that?

Anyone? crazy

Yeah BOB this is all true but your starting to sound like a lawyer and letting the facts get in the way of what others who don't have a clue think. Imagine evaluating all cartridges with the criteria based on somebody elses gut shots? Jeez your letting the truth get in the way. The 7 mm Rem Mag has only worked for the last 44 years for me but what the hell . Good luck with your 7's this fall apparently we need it cause we are handicapped by shooting 7's. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It doesn't help help when guides are telling Elk clients they need a .300 mag of some sort. I know a lot of guys who own .300's because they went on an Elk hunt once and it was what the guide recommended to them. They never seem to talk their clients into 7's from what I see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

308 win sucks though..

How so?

Would love to hear the answer to this.

Not holding my breath though..........Just sayin'...........

Wouldn't mind hearing it either....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
It doesn't help help when guides are telling Elk clients they need a .300 mag of some sort. I know a lot of guys who own .300's because they went on an Elk hunt once and it was what the guide recommended to them. They never seem to talk their clients into 7's from what I see.

Any guide worth their salt isn't going to recommend a client bring something that he can't shoot. The good ones I know will usually recommend packing what's already in the gun cabinet.

Nothing scarier than getting a new batch of hunters into camp, and hearing "I just bought a new rifle for the trip". Doubly so if it's a 7 Mag or 300. When that's the case, the chances of a rodeo have increased exponentially.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My cousin has been guiding for a long time,general deer opens on Saturday here and he has 3 hunters in camp,just arrived yesterday from GA.

I stopped by camp to say hello, nice guys all decked out in new camo, all talking about their new 300 RUMS, with custom turreted vortexs..my god

Cousin asked (with a smirk) if I wanted to come on saturday with them..I told him i had a bucket of nails to straighten.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I've always liked the 7MM mag, but don't own one right now. That being said, I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

Interesting...........
I wonder what the experienced 7x57 users would think?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my current favorite hunting rifle for the last 8 seasons is a Blaser R-93! I bought the rifle with the Idea that I would sell the barrel and get the chambering I thought I wanted, its a 7mm RM. It shoots just about anything well enough not to care a wit, and I rediscovered what a good cartridge it is, I still have the barrel and its what I hunt with. The first rifle I bought with my own earned money was a 7mm RM in a Remington 700, I took it on a graduation hunt that I took rather than that english sports car, I shot it well and killed every thing I shot with it, on a 30 day hunt in Kenya back in 71 and for some reason I when chasing the perfect rifle/cartridge combo for the next 35 years! Its a hunters cartridge, just like the 270 30-06 or 338 it dose the job with out much fuss and its common, you find it every were game is hunted pretty much, Sure I could do the same with a 270 and I was going to get a barrel so chambered, I still may, just didn't think I really need to!

Last edited by gmsemel; 10/17/14.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Interesting...........
I wonder what the experienced 7x57 users would think?

Oh there are plenty out here that believe the 7RM "shoots too fast to expand"..Mostly comes from cowboys that try to guide..And if you listen to them long enough you'll hear all kinds of dumbfuqery regarding shooting,bullets,trajectory and just hunting in general..Most of them love the 30-30 tho.

Old wives tales die hard.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh your poor cousin! Sounds like he needs a good bottle of whisky left under his pillow.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe the .275 H&H Magnum will make a come back now that the 7mmRM is floundering! laugh

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.