Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't see anyone buying them anymore. It's still a great round, IMO, but the blush is off the bloom. The 270 seems to still be strong. confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Powders and bullets

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just picked up a Ruger All weather in 7mm rem mag. Just zeroed it the other day. Tack driver and a pleasure to shoot. A 7mm RUM just about broke me on Magnums. still have the scar to remind me!!!!!!!! grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too Boringly effective. Much like the 308, 300win mag or 338

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm seeing a turn around. LOTS of LR guys went out and bought ultra's,STW's and the like, but are coming back to the 7RM.

The 7 Rem mags potential is only limited by the shooter.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really like my 7mm. Exceptionally accurate at all ranges. Plenty of power for anything I hunt in NA..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Exceptionally accurate at all ranges. Plenty of power for anything I hunt in NA..

That pretty much describes a 270 or a 308.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 10/15/14.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chrono graphs and range finders

Adalwolf
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Could be the mm part?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a great round.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Exceptionally accurate at all ranges. Plenty of power for anything I hunt in NA..

308 win sucks though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by A_O_Bush

Yep.

308 win sucks though..

How so?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

308 win sucks though..

It's obvious you never shot a 240B little fact m1a2 tank can carry 10,000 rounds of 7.62.
I need to find a nice 88 in a 308

Last edited by 79S; 10/15/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 7 Rem Mag shoots 30'06 bullet weights at 270 velocities and trajectories.......way too boring.

and a cartridge that shoots all weights 100fps faster than the internet darling 280 Ackley can't be all bad.

I have a 280, a 280AI and two 7 Mags and there's a 100fps between all of them.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rembo
The 7 Rem Mag shoots 30'06 bullet weights at 270 velocities and trajectories.

Where'd you get that totally incorrect idea. Never yet known a 7 Mag to shoot a 220 gr bullet at any velocity. Now a 180 might be a go.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lots of choices around now, better powders and bullets. Heck bet the 7X61 Sharpe's should get a revisit. Looney thing, choices, choices.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's become popular with the unknowing to bad mouth belted cases and what can be done with them. So those of us who have 7's and 300's just don't bother to talk about them much, just let the guns chambered for them do the talking come Oct and November. Really, you know I wouldn't BS you. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What happened? Scenar came out with the 180 that works quite well in 8.5 and 9 twists.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S

308 win sucks though..

It's obvious you never shot a 240B little fact m1a2 tank can carry 10,000 rounds of 7.62.
I need to find a nice 88 in a 308

Funny as hell to watch someone load 6000 of those rounds in the ready box and realize when the put the last belt in that they put it in wrong!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

308 win sucks though..

How so?

Would love to hear the answer to this.

Not holding my breath though..........Just sayin'...........

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think what happened is that there are way too many rifles available for the number of shooters out there, so the only thing that sells is something "new."

I see lots and lots of guys actually hunting with a 7RM still. New magnum guys are using 300WSM.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Right after the .300 WSM appeared I noticed the appearance of far more used 7mm Remington Magnums in gun shops, as the boys traded off their rifles chambered for the In Cartridge of the 1960's and 70's for the first In Cartridge of the 21st century.

But I'm still seeing more 7mm RM's on used-rifle shelves, even though the .300 WSM's peak of hot selling passed years ago. I'm not saying the .300 WSM isn't a good cartridge, or that hunters don't buy them now, but it's not the super-hot bestseller it was from 2001-2005.

So why are old 7mm RM's still showing up on used racks? One guess is that the rifles hunters bought during the peak of it's popularity might be losing some of their accuracy. The 7mm RM isn't kind to throats, and a rifle that was new in, say, 1978 might be finally losing its accuracy edge. I picked up a used tang-safety 7mm RM about 10 years ago for a very low price, just for the action, and my bore-scope showed the throat was gator-skin for several inches. Never did shoot that barrel to find out if the erosion affected the accuracy, but my guess (based on some experience) was that it did, at least somewhat.

Another guess would be that the guys who firmly believed the 7mm Remington Magnum was a "big cartridge" back in the 1970's finally realized it wasn't. Back then it was promoted as doing anything a .300 magnum would do, with .30-06 recoil. This was mostly because of the original 175-grain factory load's advertised velocity of 3020 fps. The first Remington ammo was right around there, but within a few years it was found the velocity was too much, and the factory velocity was dropped to around 2850, which isn't all that much more than the 180-grain .30-06 load.

Then, as others have pointed out, chronographs became affordable to average shooters. And eventually laser rangefinders showed up, providing some reality to long-range shots.

I knew Montana guys back in the 1960's and 70's who firmly believed in the ultra-power of the 7mm RM, who when anybody asked what cartridge they used for elk would roll their shoulders like a weight-lifter and say, "I shoot a Big Seven." These guys all had tales of 700-yard kills, which for some reason was the typical range quoted. Maybe it was because many of them preferred "7&7" as their mixed drink, and a 7mm Magnum at 700 yards matched that perfectly.

The 7mm Remington Magnum would actually a darn good choice for the guys who like to make long shots these days. After all, John Burns uses it a lot, and the typical 7mm rifling twist stabilizeslong 162-180 grain spritzer boattails. But unfortunately, the Big Seven doesn't fit in a short bolt action, and has a belt, and long-action belted magnums are just as unfashionable right now as they were fashionable half a century ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by A_O_Bush

Yes and yes!!! grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Still lots of folks running them around here. I haven't used my 3 much the last few years as I've been tinkering with wildcats and 257Wbys, but the great 7 is still my favorite cartridge of all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
So those of us who have 7's and 300's just don't bother to talk about them much, just let the guns chambered for them do the talking come Oct and November.

Yep, lots of gut shot and azz shot game hobbling around can testify to the magnum's prowess.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The New Has wore off

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

Right after the .300 WSM appeared I noticed the appearance of far more used 7mm Remington Magnums in gun shops, as the boys traded off their rifles chambered for the In Cartridge of the 1960's and 70's for the first In Cartridge of the 21st century.

But I'm still seeing more 7mm RM's on used-rifle shelves, even though the .300 WSM's peak of hot selling passed years ago. I'm not saying the .300 WSM isn't a good cartridge, or that hunters don't buy them now, but it's not the super-hot bestseller it was from 2001-2005.

So why are old 7mm RM's still showing up on used racks? One guess is that the rifles hunters bought during the peak of it's popularity might be losing some of their accuracy. The 7mm RM isn't kind to throats, and a rifle that was new in, say, 1978 might be finally losing its accuracy edge. I picked up a used tang-safety 7mm RM about 10 years ago for a very low price, just for the action, and my bore-scope showed the throat was gator-skin for several inches. Never did shoot that barrel to find out if the erosion affected the accuracy, but my guess (based on some experience) was that it did, at least somewhat.

Another guess would be that the guys who firmly believed the 7mm Remington Magnum was a "big cartridge" back in the 1970's finally realized it wasn't. Back then it was promoted as doing anything a .300 magnum would do, with .30-06 recoil. This was mostly because of the original 175-grain factory load's advertised velocity of 3020 fps. The first Remington ammo was right around there, but within a few years it was found the velocity was too much, and the factory velocity was dropped to around 2850, which isn't all that much more than the 180-grain .30-06 load.

Then, as others have pointed out, chronographs became affordable to average shooters. And eventually laser rangefinders showed up, providing some reality to long-range shots.

I knew Montana guys back in the 1960's and 70's who firmly believed in the ultra-power of the 7mm RM, who when anybody asked what cartridge they used for elk would roll their shoulders like a weight-lifter and say, "I shoot a Big Seven." These guys all had tales of 700-yard kills, which for some reason was the typical range quoted. Maybe it was because many of them preferred "7&7" as their mixed drink, and a 7mm Magnum at 700 yards matched that perfectly.

The 7mm Remington Magnum would actually a darn good choice for the guys who like to make long shots these days. After all, John Burns uses it a lot, and the typical 7mm rifling twist stabilizeslong 162-180 grain spritzer boattails. But unfortunately, the Big Seven doesn't fit in a short bolt action, and has a belt, and long-action belted magnums are just as unfashionable right now as they were fashionable half a century ago.

Awesome...simply awesome!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like mine just fine belt and all. Along with 180 bergers over some Ramshot Magnum.Just got some Lapua 180 Scenars to try in the next week or two.However with turrets and rangefinders one can lob anything out there with great accuracy.
Hit steel at a 1000 with the "big 7" would not take that shot at a game animal.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's the combination of factors. Many people thought it 's magnum label made it a legitimate large game rifle and there are legions of stories of bears being wounded and lost with 7 mags.

Let's face it, it's a fine deer rifle, but when push comes to shove a 7-08 will kill just as well on deer size game without as much muss and fuss, and if you need a legitimate bigger critter rifle the starting point is somewhere between 30 and 338 on up.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I don't see anyone buying them anymore. It's still a great round, IMO, but the blush is off the bloom. The 270 seems to still be strong. confused

I'll play. The problem with a 7mmRM is theres little reason/excuse to need a second gun. Get something that needs 85-90 grains of 4831 to push a .284 bullet and its easy to say you need a 257/7-08/358 as well.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, but you don't count...You're left handed. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the 7mm Rem Mag's obituary coming anytime soon

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I

Let's face it, it's a fine deer rifle..........

And aoudad, elk, kudu, zebra, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest...... smile

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

7-MM Rem. Mag.: The Ladies Magnum.

Did I say that? No, It's what I've been told when using my 7-MM.

I haven't used that gun for about 12 years.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess it just too boringly gets the job done, it doesn't give the latest and greatest guys enough to elaborate on. I've done a bunch of the newest latest and greatest rounds, but still 98% of all the big game I've killed has been with a 7mm rem mag.

It just works

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I don't see the 7mm Rem Mag's obituary coming anytime soon

A friend and myself have built a nice shooting range, and have a get together for "church" there most sundays if we aint hunting.

Last sunday there were 5 of us, four 7 Rem's, one 7 WBY, 4 6.5 creed's, one 338 EDGE and two 338LM..

Every one us had an H&H based 7mm, where 5 years ago it would have been RUM's or 378 inspired weatherbys.

In this small part of the world, belted 7's are making a come back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not so much a latest and greatest use of stuff, as I have never shot a short magnum of any kind.
I've been running my 06, and my 308 mostly. I have been known to shoot a 338 once in a while.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What can it do that a .270 with a quality 150gr bullet can't or if a monometal guy 130gr TTSX?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought three of them and sold my 270's. Bullets for the 7mm are great. 2 are Model 700's one is a 77. I'm bidding on another in stainless. I think I'll always like my 280 and 7x57 better though.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/16/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
shoot .650+ BC @ 2900FPS, with moderate recoil.

Not a big bonus to most of the hunting public, but thats a pretty dang good reason for lots of guys that like it.

Lets put it this way,recoil aside, what CANT it do better than the 270?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My LGS won't get in new 7 RM's unless they're ordered and they're hesitant to buy them used too. They say since word has got out that the military adopted the .300 WM as a sniper round that has replaced the 7RM as the go to belted round..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
What can it do that a .270 with a quality 150gr bullet can't or if a monometal guy 130gr TTSX?

Mike

It's louder, kicks worse, and has 2" more barrel to get in the way. All that has to count for something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

The essence of it all... smile

When someone explains to me what's "wrong" with a 160-162 gr 7mm bullet loaded to 3000-3100 fps, I might understand what happened to it. No one has.

The cartridge was conceived as a wildcat outside Cody, Wyoming to kill elk and other BG animals (including grizzlies and moose), in above timberline, open basins at long range, in a place called "Elk Heaven"; intended by Les Bowman to replace the 300 Weatherby's that his clients did not shoot so well, yet have more reach than the 30/06 and more power than a 270,in a portable mountain weight rifle (no not 11-17 pounds, how ridiculous) that did not kick your molars loose.

This was some years before it was actually adopted, so it's fair to say it didn't spring from some Madison Ave marketing consultant and had as much or more field time and experience actually killing BG animals than many cartridges designed just to sell hunters something "different". Bowman did his home work well.

I know from using them or actually seeing them at work, that the 300's and 338's are supposed to kill elk sized stuff "better" but honestly can't recall seeing it happen. Any of the 7 Rem Mag "failures" I hear talked about usually get traced back to lousy shooting or poor bullet choice....more the former than the latter.Talk of its ineffectiveness is just mostly "wind" and bullistic gack. I wouldn't pay any attention to any of it

I watched a big 6x6 herd bull dropped mid bugle on his nose at about 500 yards from a properly applied 160 Partition. Last 6x6 I killed was dropped so fast by the same load that he lost all holds and cascaded down the mountain like a runaway Ferris wheel.In either case a 300 or 338 would not have done any better.

I am not too concerned about short actions, or cases with no belts, or worn throats (since I keep spare barrels here).Feeding and function in bolt actions with belted cases was perfected long ago,and makes no difference whether Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Sako or properly modified Mauser or Rem clone, they all function with the cartridge.I can't say the same for the short/fats IME. frown

It would be easier to make a list of animals i would not hunt with the cartridge than of those I would. If I had to pick one cartridge to hunt the west and Canada this would likely be "it". I am certainly not going to choose a BG cartridge based on the personality profiles of some who shoot it, or because some do-do shoots it poorly; that would be silly.....I got three over here. smile

Ubiquitous,moderate of recoil in portable rifles,flat shooting, heavier bullets and more potent than anything smaller (bullets that nudge into the middle range of 30 caliber slugs while driven at true magnum velocities),and enough power to cleanly take anything in North America.

What's wrong with that?

Anyone? crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Smell what your stepping in. And agree completely.

Last edited by sidepass; 10/16/14.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I

And with 160 NAB's...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To me, the 7mmRM and 160's at 3000fps are a match made in heaven!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking at G7 bc's on Berger's site I'd like to see a side by side comparison. Don't know if any of the online ballistic calculators are good enough to tell.

I think it would probably be splitting hairs which IS what we love to do!

laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things come and go in cycles. How long has the 7-08 been around and now it sees like it's everywhere.

Otto is my co-pilot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've always liked the 7MM mag, but don't own one right now. That being said, I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

The essence of it all... smile

When someone explains to me what's "wrong" with a 160-162 gr 7mm bullet loaded to 3000-3100 fps, I might understand what happened to it. No one has.

The cartridge was conceived as a wildcat outside Cody, Wyoming to kill elk and other BG animals (including grizzlies and moose), in above timberline, open basins at long range, in a place called "Elk Heaven"; intended by Les Bowman to replace the 300 Weatherby's that his clients did not shoot so well, yet have more reach than the 30/06 and more power than a 270,in a portable mountain weight rifle (no not 11-17 pounds, how ridiculous) that did not kick your molars loose.

This was some years before it was actually adopted, so it's fair to say it didn't spring from some Madison Ave marketing consultant and had as much or more field time and experience actually killing BG animals than many cartridges designed just to sell hunters something "different". Bowman did his home work well.

I know from using them or actually seeing them at work, that the 300's and 338's are supposed to kill elk sized stuff "better" but honestly can't recall seeing it happen. Any of the 7 Rem Mag "failures" I hear talked about usually get traced back to lousy shooting or poor bullet choice....more the former than the latter.Talk of its ineffectiveness is just mostly "wind" and bullistic gack. I wouldn't pay any attention to any of it

I watched a big 6x6 herd bull dropped mid bugle on his nose at about 500 yards from a properly applied 160 Partition. Last 6x6 I killed was dropped so fast by the same load that he lost all holds and cascaded down the mountain like a runaway Ferris wheel.In either case a 300 or 338 would not have done any better.

I am not too concerned about short actions, or cases with no belts, or worn throats (since I keep spare barrels here).Feeding and function in bolt actions with belted cases was perfected long ago,and makes no difference whether Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Sako or properly modified Mauser or Rem clone, they all function with the cartridge.I can't say the same for the short/fats IME. frown

It would be easier to make a list of animals i would not hunt with the cartridge than of those I would. If I had to pick one cartridge to hunt the west and Canada this would likely be "it". I am certainly not going to choose a BG cartridge based on the personality profiles of some who shoot it, or because some do-do shoots it poorly; that would be silly.....I got three over here. smile

Ubiquitous,moderate of recoil in portable rifles,flat shooting, heavier bullets and more potent than anything smaller (bullets that nudge into the middle range of 30 caliber slugs while driven at true magnum velocities),and enough power to cleanly take anything in North America.

What's wrong with that?

Anyone? crazy

Yeah BOB this is all true but your starting to sound like a lawyer and letting the facts get in the way of what others who don't have a clue think. Imagine evaluating all cartridges with the criteria based on somebody elses gut shots? Jeez your letting the truth get in the way. The 7 mm Rem Mag has only worked for the last 44 years for me but what the hell . Good luck with your 7's this fall apparently we need it cause we are handicapped by shooting 7's. Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It doesn't help help when guides are telling Elk clients they need a .300 mag of some sort. I know a lot of guys who own .300's because they went on an Elk hunt once and it was what the guide recommended to them. They never seem to talk their clients into 7's from what I see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM

308 win sucks though..

How so?

Wouldn't mind hearing it either....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
It doesn't help help when guides are telling Elk clients they need a .300 mag of some sort. I know a lot of guys who own .300's because they went on an Elk hunt once and it was what the guide recommended to them. They never seem to talk their clients into 7's from what I see.

Any guide worth their salt isn't going to recommend a client bring something that he can't shoot. The good ones I know will usually recommend packing what's already in the gun cabinet.

Nothing scarier than getting a new batch of hunters into camp, and hearing "I just bought a new rifle for the trip". Doubly so if it's a 7 Mag or 300. When that's the case, the chances of a rodeo have increased exponentially.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My cousin has been guiding for a long time,general deer opens on Saturday here and he has 3 hunters in camp,just arrived yesterday from GA.

I stopped by camp to say hello, nice guys all decked out in new camo, all talking about their new 300 RUMS, with custom turreted vortexs..my god

Cousin asked (with a smirk) if I wanted to come on saturday with them..I told him i had a bucket of nails to straighten.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I've always liked the 7MM mag, but don't own one right now. That being said, I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

Interesting...........
I wonder what the experienced 7x57 users would think?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well my current favorite hunting rifle for the last 8 seasons is a Blaser R-93! I bought the rifle with the Idea that I would sell the barrel and get the chambering I thought I wanted, its a 7mm RM. It shoots just about anything well enough not to care a wit, and I rediscovered what a good cartridge it is, I still have the barrel and its what I hunt with. The first rifle I bought with my own earned money was a 7mm RM in a Remington 700, I took it on a graduation hunt that I took rather than that english sports car, I shot it well and killed every thing I shot with it, on a 30 day hunt in Kenya back in 71 and for some reason I when chasing the perfect rifle/cartridge combo for the next 35 years! Its a hunters cartridge, just like the 270 30-06 or 338 it dose the job with out much fuss and its common, you find it every were game is hunted pretty much, Sure I could do the same with a 270 and I was going to get a barrel so chambered, I still may, just didn't think I really need to!

Last edited by gmsemel; 10/17/14.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Interesting...........

Oh there are plenty out here that believe the 7RM "shoots too fast to expand"..Mostly comes from cowboys that try to guide..And if you listen to them long enough you'll hear all kinds of dumbfuqery regarding shooting,bullets,trajectory and just hunting in general..Most of them love the 30-30 tho.

Old wives tales die hard.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh your poor cousin! Sounds like he needs a good bottle of whisky left under his pillow.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Maybe the .275 H&H Magnum will make a come back now that the 7mmRM is floundering! laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

Many ".300 magnum minimum" recommendations occur because a lot of guides aren't very sophisticated about cartridges, bullets or even shooting game.

I went on a moose hunt in Alberta a few years ago, and the outfitter recommended that clients bring a minimum of a .300 magnum. I knew this outfitter well from several other trips for waterfowl and deer, and he isn't particular sophisticated about rifles. He doesn't even handload, and when buying ammo generally doesn't get into any more detail than bullet weight.

I drove up so there was no reason to check my rifle on the camp range upon arrival, but when my guide (not the outfitter) and I headed out the first morning, he asked what cartridge my rifle was chambered for. "Seven millimeter," I said, betting the guy would think it was a 7mm Remington Magnum. (I'd also met this guide before, and knew he was about as rifle-sophisticated as the outfitter. In Alberta, as in Montana, when you say a rifle is a 7mm the average hunter assumes it's a 7mm Remington Magnum. In fact many people don't know there IS another 7mm cartridge.)

There's a good moose population in that part of Alberta, and after looking at several bulls we found a suitable specimen on the second day, the range about 220 yards. I put a bullet through both lungs, about a third of the way up the chest, and the moose just stood there, as they often do, but after a few seconds it started walking VERY slowly toward some nearby brush, then stopped. The guide asked me to shoot again so it wouldn't get into the brush. I did, and the moose took a few more steps and keeled over, 19 yards from where it was first shot. (I doubt the second shot made any difference, but shooting again made the guide feel better.)

After the moose was gutted and loaded on a flatbed trailer for the trip back to the lodge, the guide said, "It didn't look like that 7mm of yours kicks as much as most of them." I said, "That's because it's a 7mm Mauser." He just nodded, and we continued on down the highway.

Back at lodge the guide told the story of how my little 7mm stopped the moose before it got into the brush. The outfitter said, "That's exactly what happened when I shot my moose with my .300 Winchester!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Listening to the advice of someone because he is a "hunting guide" could be hazardous to your hunting. Here in Montana, hunting guides run the gamut from kids that have never killed an elk to gun nuts that have killed lots of game here and been to Alaska and Africa a few times.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Indeed many people do not know there is more than one 7mm cartridge....Three times..... not once, but thrice when asked which 7mm my customer needed they sheepishly replied...."......7mm regular?..."

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer - that sounds pretty darned close to my big moose story. But it was in Northern BC and not guided. Rifle was a Brno 21-H in...7mm. The factory RWS 162gr KS loads did a number on the bull. Even the distance was similar at ~200 yards.

As for the "other" 7mm, I have two of those in the safe and they also seem to do well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zumbo did a lot to convince guys they need a cannon to kill an elk. When he was still popular he declared the .30-06 too light for Elk (after killing 19 with it ) and he switched to uber magnums and told us all how much better they kill.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rosco1

Interesting...........

Oh there are plenty out here that believe the 7RM "shoots too fast to expand"..Mostly comes from cowboys that try to guide..And if you listen to them long enough you'll hear all kinds of dumbfuqery regarding shooting,bullets,trajectory and just hunting in general..Most of them love the 30-30 tho.

Old wives tales die hard.

I love that old tale. I always brought it up when I did hunting club seminars as if it were true, then the decades of stories about magnums blowing standard bullets up prematurely would be incorrect.
Can't have it both ways.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am a 7mm RM owner by default. I picked up a Browning 1885 from a gun dealer friend for $500.00 and a Winchester Model 70 push feed from Walmart for $299.00, both with scopes. I was never a fan of the cartridge, but like the rifles and couldn't pass them up.

I found out that real world ballistics are not kind to the 7mm Remington Magnum, based on my Oehler 35 and legions of deer hunters wanting to see how fast their rifles are when sighting in for deer season at my gun club. This observation has been supported in this forum by many of your postings.

With that stated, after loading for and shooting the 7mm RM, I like the cartridge. It is shootable, has plenty of power to take any game animal (as long as properly constructed and placed bullets are used), is inherently accurate (I read the gun rags too to expand my vocabulary), and easy to load for. It has been accurate with many different bullet weights, allowing for a more useful rifle. You can use the Speer 115gr. HP for varmints, 140-150 for deer and 175 for moose and elk.

What you gain with the 7mm Remington Magnum is versatility to span a wider range of game, ballistics and shooting scenarios.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if someone got themselves a 7mm RM concurrently with a copy of Bob Hagel's "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics" they could get that 7mm RM shootin' really, really fast. Mighty flat, too... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love mine!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike

Any guide worth their salt isn't going to recommend a client bring something that he can't shoot. The good ones I know will usually recommend packing what's already in the gun cabinet.

Nothing scarier than getting a new batch of hunters into camp, and hearing "I just bought a new rifle for the trip". Doubly so if it's a 7 Mag or 300. When that's the case, the chances of a rodeo have increased exponentially.

Having been in the guide's shoes, I agree. Especially if it's a .300 or .338.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The guide asked me to shoot again........
(shooting again made the guide feel better.)

Can't believe the guide had to ask you to shoot again.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 7mm Rem 700...it has had a few upgrades done to it. I've zeroed it with 160 grain Partitions, which is the only load I'll use in it. It's accurate, reliable, hard-hitting (so far) and doesn't kick me silly. What's not to like?
Bob

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always glad to hear from real experts.

I am pretty well known for shooting again, and fast, when there is any chance another round might be needed. But in this instance we could both see the blood around the entrance hole, right where I'd aimed the first bullet.

The bullet was a 160-grain North Fork, generally considered one of the best on the market, so bullet "failure" wasn't likely. The moose was obviously hard and correctly hit, and I didn't see any real reason to shoot him in the sticking place again, since in my experience he was about to tip over.

I don't believe the second bullet helped put him down any quicker, either, because he really didn't change his behavior after the impact. He continued with a slow step-and-pause before keeling over, and as noted previously that was 19 paces from where he'd been hit the first time. The entrance holes were about an inch apart, and the two bullets were found under the hide on the far side, almost as close together. During field-dressing we couldn't tell where the damage from one bullet ended and the next began, another reason I sincerely doubt the second hurried anything along. In fact, since the bull had stopped when I shot again, my guess is the second bullet is what got him to take a few more steps before falling.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have two 7mm Remington Magnums. I bought a 280 Remington and I could not see the difference between the cartridges when hunting. I could really feel the difference when shooting. My 7Mag was a noisy, hard kicking 280. When I got my 7mm 08 I soon rid myself of the 280 for the same reason I got rid of the 7Mag. What's next, a 7mm BR?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by SLM

308 win sucks though..

How so?

Wouldn't mind hearing it either....

When you have nothing to base the comment on, it's pretty hard to defend.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always glad to hear from real experts.

I am pretty well known for shooting again, and fast, when there is any chance another round might be needed.

Which is why it's hard to believe the guide had to ask.

And thanks for the compliment there MD, but I'm no expert. Just a regular guy that's hunted nearly 50 yrs with a very strong sense of responsibility to the animal, whose life I'm about to take, to do so as quickly and humanely as possible. That means that no matter how cock sure I am of the first shot, if they're still on their feet when I've reloaded they get another and another until they're down or out of my sight. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And I often do exactly the same thing--in fact more often than not. But I have also hunted moose enough to know they often take a while to tip over, even when hit perfectly through the chest. It simply takes a while for their system to shut down, and shooting them again doesn't have much if any effect. In fact it can get them started going again, probably though adrenalin.

The same thing is true of some other large animals. It's exactly why African PH's wait a while before following a Cape buffalo even after it's taken a solid chest hit. Waiting gives the buffalo's enormous lungs time to fill with blood and his systems to shut down. If you follow one up and start shooting immediately, adrenalin kicks in and the buffalo becomes much harder to kill.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I

Kind of like the 7x57. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Minus the panache.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The well-known custom stockmaker Jerry Fisher's main big game rifle (maybe his only) is a pre-'64 Model 70 he stocked many years ago. It was originally a 7x57 Mauser, and he used it to hunt everything in Montana, where he lives.

Then in the 1960's the 7mm Remington Magnum became the big deal, and so many kept yammering about its amazing effectiveness that Jerry rechambered his Model 70 and opened up the bolt face. I was visiting him in his shop maybe a dozen years ago, and he showed me the rifle, saying: "One of the dumbest things I've ever done. All it does is kick harder, but it doesn't kill any better."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EXACTAMUNDO!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have run into a definite bias against the round literally every place I've hunted out west. Seems everyone out there has a "lost too many elk (or mule deer, pronghorn, etc)" story regarding the 7mag. Might just be a statistical thing...since there are so many out west, then that would leave one to believe that if an animal was wounded and possibly got away, then statistically, more might be from that round. I don't know...but the bias against that round is very real in the circles I travel out there.

I've seen the same thing. Before I left Alaska there was a gun shop that I went in occasionally. One of the last times I noticed he had several 7mm RM's in his rack. I said to him, "what's with all the 7 mags?" He said, "I took them in on trade." I told him, " Those don't sell up here." He said, "I wish you'd told me that 6 months ago, I've noticed the same thing."

The 7mm Mag does what it does because it's got a 24" barrel. My Winchester mod 70 Classic 30-06 has a 24" barrel and will pretty much do the same thing without all the recoil. If I want more than a 30-06 will do I go to my 338 WM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't figured out yet what my Finnlight 7-08 with TSXs or Partitions won't kill:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I do still love the 7mm RM and 162 A-max for LR fun, nonetheless:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a nice setup 2muchgun.

I'm a 270/308/30-06 shooter mainly, but I admire the 7mmRM; I see it like a big brother to the 270 Win.

But my favourite 270 Win / 7mmRM rivalry story is about my best mate who'd been knocking my 270 for years because it was weak compared to his Big Seven...

We ran them both over the chrony, both using 150g bullets with our own respective handloads.

The 270 Win cracked the 150g SSTs at about 2975fps. Shoulda seen the look on my old mate's face when his 150 grainers clocked 2670fps!

Still killed pigs and deer extremely well I have to say and with a little more coal on the fire his loads soon were making more respectable numbers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
one good point for the 7 Rem Mag or the 300 Win Mag ( at least locally).. is when ammo is hard to find on the shelves.. there seem to be plenty of 7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bobknob,

I've got a couple of 7mm Remington Magnum stories that need to be retold now:

When my friend John Haviland (who goes by Elk on the Campfire when he posts, which is rarely anymore) was a young man he bought a 7mm RM, because back then EVERYBODY in Montana was buying them. He handloaded 160-grain Speer Mag-Tips and it killed black bear, deer and elk like lightning. A few years later he bought his first chronograph, and found his handload got around 2700 fps, just about exactly what a 7x57 can get with "modern" pressures.

Jerry Fisher decided he wanted to go to New Zealand and kill a big red stag a few years ago. He took his converted pre-'64 Model 70 7mm Remington Magnum, but decided he didn't want to hassle with ammo, so asked the outfitter if he could provide some. The outfitter said, "I've got plenty already in camp from previous hunters."

Jerry showed up and they drove all day to get to the outfitter's lodge in the mountains. The outfitter went to check his ammo stash and found ONE 7mm Remington Magnum round. Jerry said, "Well, so much for the scope-check shot. Just get me within 200 yards." The guide did, and the stag died.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I recently sighted in a Savage 111 in 7 RM for my son. It is one of the package deals that came with a Nikon bdc scope. It was given to him by a friend and will be his truck gun in S. Texas this year.

It shoots moa easy with the Barnes Vortex 160gr ammo.

I was surprised at the velocity. They were running 3000fps plus over my pro chrono.

Terry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a truck load of deer with the 7mag. It's a lil much for short range deer, but that's my only beef! The internet is the first place I've seen negative remarks about it. I think it's gets a bad wrap, because once upon a time... every newbie that needed a new flat shooting big game rifle was lead to the 7mag. Sure as hell doesn't men they could shoot it long distance, but that shouldn't take anything from the 7mag itself. It does exactly what it was made for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
given the bonded bullets available for such cartridges as the .270 Winchester and the .30-06, the 7 RM just offers very little over either of them.......it's still quite a round, but redundancy abounds in the shooting world......

As a matter of fact, the same can be said for most of the magnums and many would agree that if one needs more than a .30-06 then he should be giving close scrutiny to the venerable old .375 H&H.

I have a liking for my .264 WM too.....but in fact fully realize that it's value over the .270 Winchester is marginal at best.

It seems as I enter my seventies, it no longer is important to have forty guns in the gun cabinet.....thirty of them offering nothing more than filling of space.

I have absolutely nothing against the 7mm Rem Mag.....just can't find a reason for it once one owns a .30-06 and has a few reloading tools.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like many I wanted to try out a 7RM and after all, I had a good selection of .284 bullets that I feed my 7x57s. Killed some whitetails, mulies and a black bear with it.

To this day I can't really put my finger on why I sold it. Perhaps I am just kind of a 7x57 toting shooter. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The older you get, the more recoil comes into the decision making although there is something I learned a long time ago that is still not a topic of conversation in the gun rag trade, and that is muzzle blast.

I believe the tolerable vs the intolerable in muzzle blast is a larger factor than recoil in cartridge selection which is wrong in itself, as the rifle and barrel length as well as powder selection is part of that equation.

There is a "perceived" difference between a 22" hot loaded .30/06 and a more commonly moderately loaded 7mm RM with a 26" barrel. I cannot recall the volume of rifles I have used for each but it is a retained observation.

Another observation I made in the 80's culling was that using cup and core conventional bullets, the 7x57 factually did generate more shoot and drop results, than the 7mm RM performing in the same tasks side by side over a period of years.

For me, the value in the 7mm RM is to achieve 7x57 performance over longer ranges or just adding a little more wind stability and trajectory advantage over those longer ranges.

When a 7x57 is handloaded to 2800fps using 150gn Nosler Partitions, it is a hard sell to convince the experienced that more is necessary or any improvement.

Having said that, choices and circumstances now include the Remington Magnum and not the 7x57 in my rack. Either, or, is ok with me and the .30/06 is an axiom so I guest we are back to Gack?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vapodog
redundancy abounds in the shooting world......

Well said!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by grovey

It does exactly what it was made for.

YES, and it STILL does!!

Oh! Let's not forget it kicks too hard. cry Waaaaa, cry Waaaaa

And it's the 'dreaded' long action >> 1/2" longer smirk

NOTHING happened to the 7 RM.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

For me, the value in the 7mm RM is to achieve 7x57 performance over longer ranges or just adding a little more wind stability and trajectory advantage over those longer ranges.

Having said that, choices and circumstances now include the Remington Magnum and not the 7x57 in my rack.

The 'mouser' does kill just as good as the RM but the 7 RM will do it 'farther' and 'flatter' and with less drift because it is FASTER.

But never mind any facts.

Good post from experience > A G W !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7 mag kills stuff dead, but to me it is not as popular as it once was for a few reasons. In no particular order...

1. It has a belt
2. It doesn't do anything a .30/06 or similar can't get done with cheaper ammo and less bluster
3. With laser rangefinders and dial up scopes, a couple of inches extra of drop are meaningless. "Flat shooting" isn't needed as much as precise ranging and come-ups
4. It isn't .30 caliber

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 'mouser' does kill just as good as the RM but the 7 RM will do it 'farther' and 'flatter' and with less drift because it is FASTER.

But never mind any facts.

If you listen to some of these guys enough, you'd swear velocity was a bad thing wink

Their most critical ballistic consideration is "panache" grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bobknob,

Jerry Fisher decided he wanted to go to New Zealand and kill a big red stag a few years ago. He took his converted pre-'64 Model 70 7mm Remington Magnum, but decided he didn't want to hassle with ammo, so asked the outfitter if he could provide some. The outfitter said, "I've got plenty already in camp from previous hunters."

Jerry showed up and they drove all day to get to the outfitter's lodge in the mountains. The outfitter went to check his ammo stash and found ONE 7mm Remington Magnum round. Jerry said, "Well, so much for the scope-check shot. Just get me within 200 yards." The guide did, and the stag died.

Plenty of pressure on shooter AND guide on that hunt!

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Billy,

Many ".300 magnum minimum" recommendations occur because a lot of guides aren't very sophisticated about cartridges, bullets or even shooting game.

I went on a moose hunt in Alberta a few years ago, and the outfitter recommended that clients bring a minimum of a .300 magnum. I knew this outfitter well from several other trips for waterfowl and deer, and he isn't particular sophisticated about rifles. He doesn't even handload, and when buying ammo generally doesn't get into any more detail than bullet weight.

I drove up so there was no reason to check my rifle on the camp range upon arrival, but when my guide (not the outfitter) and I headed out the first morning, he asked what cartridge my rifle was chambered for. "Seven millimeter," I said, betting the guy would think it was a 7mm Remington Magnum. (I'd also met this guide before, and knew he was about as rifle-sophisticated as the outfitter. In Alberta, as in Montana, when you say a rifle is a 7mm the average hunter assumes it's a 7mm Remington Magnum. In fact many people don't know there IS another 7mm cartridge.)

There's a good moose population in that part of Alberta, and after looking at several bulls we found a suitable specimen on the second day, the range about 220 yards. I put a bullet through both lungs, about a third of the way up the chest, and the moose just stood there, as they often do, but after a few seconds it started walking VERY slowly toward some nearby brush, then stopped. The guide asked me to shoot again so it wouldn't get into the brush. I did, and the moose took a few more steps and keeled over, 19 yards from where it was first shot. (I doubt the second shot made any difference, but shooting again made the guide feel better.)

After the moose was gutted and loaded on a flatbed trailer for the trip back to the lodge, the guide said, "It didn't look like that 7mm of yours kicks as much as most of them." I said, "That's because it's a 7mm Mauser." He just nodded, and we continued on down the highway.

Back at lodge the guide told the story of how my little 7mm stopped the moose before it got into the brush. The outfitter said, "That's exactly what happened when I shot my moose with my .300 Winchester!"

John,

i always though the only 7mm was the 7x64 brenneke ...

Phil

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No worries...the 7mmRM is still kills as good as the 30/06. Do you want more recoil than that?

Last edited by idahoguy101; 10/20/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Phil,

You mean the "stretched" 7x57?

Somehow I ended up with a box of Remington 7x64 ammo in my collection, and like any true rifle loony have had my eye out for a rifle to shoot it in. Ain't going to "build" one, or do a web-search all over the U.S., but if the right one shows up? Who knows.

Always kind of wanted a break-action in 7x65R too, whether kipplauf or drilling. Closest I've come, however, is my drilling in 6.5x57R, which isn't all that close.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The problem with the 7 RM is when the companies that put their loading data in print over reacted more with this round than some others.

Find an older Hornady loading manuel using 73/H4831 with a 139 Hornady and use that to compare against your .270 velocities.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use a load from the Hogden manual with H-1000 and a 150 ballistic tip at 3150 fps. That's over my pact model 1, not what it says in the book.

Last edited by SEdge; 10/20/14.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Phil,

Somehow I ended up with a box of Remington 7x64 ammo in my collection, and like any true rifle loony have had my eye out for a rifle to shoot it in. Ain't going to "build" one, or do a web-search all over the U.S., but if the right one shows up? Who knows.

Always kind of wanted a break-action in 7x65R too, whether kipplauf or drilling. Closest I've come, however, is my drilling in 6.5x57R, which isn't all that close.

of course the streched 7x57 lol... nothing bad really about that original version too ... now if we can talk about the modern cousin te 7-08 ...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SEdge
I use a load from the Hogden manual with H-1000 and a 150 ballistic tip at 3150 fps.

Yep!

In several 7 RMs I have not had any problems getting 3150 fps with 150-154 bullets.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes, the wonderful 7-08. I think this is a great round, too bad some people think it's a starter gun for a young person or " the wife's gun".

Thou it works great for that. It really is a wonderful round that wont beat you up at the range or in the field. Takes game very well.

On game animals I have only used 140 and 150 grain bullets mostly Nosler bullets, Partitions, A/B and B/T with the 150 grain bullet.

It has worked just fine for me and people in my family.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
My first big game magnum was a 7mm Rem mag.
Picked it up in 1978.
Loaded it with 160 gr NPt's and killed the hell outta everything l pointed it at.

But the redundancy point is right on...
A 30-06 or a 270 or a 7x57 or a etc. would of likely done the same.
In my case the price was right it met my criteria and it shot lites out and it had a magic belt on the case..lol.
Times have changed a bit haven't they??

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukonphil

John,

i always though the only 7mm was the 7x64 brenneke ...

Phil

Nope! You forgot the other one, the 7X65R Brenneke. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Phil,

Here you go. It even wears a Hensoldt 1.5-6 now, not the Zeiss Jena 4x shown, and it has a top tang safety, not the Greener side safety. wink

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
How much does it weigh?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's a 12ga, so a bit heavy. I'll weigh it and get back to you. It's the one I brought up last fall.

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/21/14.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am a die hard .30 caliber man (except the .308. I don't like it) but have a Sako 75 V action that may become a 7mm Remington mag.

Being a rifle junkie and trying to break the habit I keep thinking about the 7mm mag. When I decide I need a .257 wby I could load 120 grain bullets in the 7mm mag. When I want one load for deer I could load 140 grainers. When I decide I need a elk load I could load 160 grainers in the 7mm mag. If I ever get to hunt something big I could load 175 grainers. When I decide I need one load for everything I could load 150's and be done with it.

It sounds so good in theory.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 10/21/14.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
there's a youtube vid about a guy taking a big bull elk, legally one presumes, with a 10mm auto. Bowhunters take them all the time. So why anyone bothers with more than a 308 autoloader, I have no clue. the rapidfire and cheap practice, from offhand, like reality in the hunting fields, means far more than any ballistic "advantage". Animals, unless bedded down, MOVE, folks. Often. The wind and mirage often mean that a humane shot just cannot be adequately likely, at ranges beyond which a 308 auto is quite capable (ie, 300m)

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
here's the vid about 10mm handgun elk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9fEyRgfGE

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WTF?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Is it hard to figure out? When a guy proves that it's perfectly feasible to get within 50 yds and take them with 500 ft lb loads (impact energy, not at the muzzle) then why are you so intent on having 2000 ft lbs remaining at 500 yds? can't you stalk decently?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

well thought thru and idea expressed ,well written!
I keep coming back to my 340 wby after trying many of the other popular and semi-popular cartridges,for similar reasons and have come to the conclusion that each of our individual experience's and the resulting trust and confidence in what the rifle we have used ,will do and OUR ability to consistently get results with it has a great deal to do with the choices we individually make

Last edited by 340mag; 10/22/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding recoil:
I have several 7mm RM's, two are fine as far as recoil goes (both well stocked 700's), but one actually hurts when I shoot it a few times when I'm in shirt sleeves. Taking into consideration that my 338 WM and my 300 WM don't hurt and I'm getting old... The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77. I know if I replaced the pad with a limbsaver it would be a much more pleasant gun to shoot. Perhaps that is a problem with others.

Why use the magnum over a 7x57?

The only reason I can think of why I'd take the magnums out before the 7x57 is if I thought I might get an open country shot. Because when I think of prarie winds and my proven lack of ability to guess the windage correction every time, I think maybe the magnum would reduce the error.

Example: This year shooting at antelope got to be a little crazy. I didn't get a shot under 300 yards. The wind would be 30+ mph and then it would stop.

Friends shooting prairie dogs after they got their antelope said that their bullets were being blown all over. They were using 22-250's for the dogs. One shot would hit the dog. The next would be 3 feet to the right or left. Agreed, the 7's would not be blown as far as the 22's, for sure. But faster bullets are better than slower bullets in the wind. To go fast, use a bigger case and select the bullet that is a good game bullet.

The other option, is to be a better hunter and get closer. But this time out I wasn't the better hunter.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77.

I had the same rifle in 338, and it was the most abusive rifle I have owned.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by squesh
there's a youtube vid about a guy taking a big bull elk, legally one presumes, with a 10mm auto. Bowhunters take them all the time. So why anyone bothers with more than a 308 autoloader, I have no clue. the rapidfire and cheap practice, from offhand, like reality in the hunting fields, means far more than any ballistic "advantage". Animals, unless bedded down, MOVE, folks. Often. The wind and mirage often mean that a humane shot just cannot be adequately likely, at ranges beyond which a 308 auto is quite capable (ie, 300m)

I'm adding you to my list...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
The 7mm RM that hurts is a Ruger red pad 77.

I had the same rifle in 338, and it was the most abusive rifle I have owned.

I had the same rifle in the same two cartridges. They were both bad but the .338 was absolutely punishing. I traded both the Big 7 and the .338 for an ADL .270 and a BDL .30-06 and I'm so much happier.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.